'99 + '20 heater: hot for driver; cold for passenger. On verge of domestic depute! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
DennisT777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

'99 + '20 heater: hot for driver; cold for passenger. On verge of domestic depute!

I touched on this subject a few months back. No input that really resolved anything. Same for, "search." Yesterday we drove my wife's 2000 XJ, (200K miles), for 250 miles. Cool fall weather. Bad trip. Most of the way the heater was delivering cool air to my wife's legs on the passenger side, and plenty of hot air to me in the driver's seat. It's been doing this for months, but we have not been driving our Jeeps much lately. (Have another vehicle) This trip she wore a jacket anticipating the problem and I just had a light shirt on. I was so stuffy and hot I worried about driving safely. Seriously! Interesting thing is that, "my," '99 XJ exhibits exactly the same problem. I don't think my wife and I can ride together in our Jeeps any longer. Driving alone, the temp for both heat and AC can be adjusted properly with no problem; no passenger to worry about. We each try to make traveling more comfortable for the other and it just results in our both getting upset with the whole mess. I have researched these heaters as much as I can and read a lot about the, "blend," door that is a common problem, but if that were our problem it would affect BOTH sides of the Jeep. There has got to be some obstruction that has occurred in one or the other of the heater/AC air delivery passageways to cause this. But I can't figure out where. I'm 77 years old and I'm not able to crawl around under dash board as I used to be, even though I am reasonably handy with home car repairs.
Again, we have TWO Jeeps behaving badly in the same manner. Any ideas?????? Thanks, Dennis in E WA state

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 11:53 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Duct tape, ( for the Jeep, not the wife ).

There is no XJ Cherokee passenger vs. driver air flow or temperature adjustment. The airflow is what it is. Duct tape the driver side floor duct partially closed, this should increase the airflow to the passenger side.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
DennisT777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, Tim. This is progress. No adjustment does not surprise me, I've just wondered about obstructions, or....maybe a partially collapsed air delivery tube? I actually like your duct tape idea. I recall there is air delivery to the back, coming out around the rear of the center console. I think I could feel it if I reached around the back with my right hand, (when driving), and near the floor center I could feel warm or cool air coming out near the carpet.
So are you suggesting taping that outlet or one by the driver's feet? (Must be one there too - and easy to look)

post #4 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 12:11 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The footwell heat outlet is just inboard of the gas pedal above where the carpet ends, and mirror imaged on the passenger side. The climate control in the Cherokee is both 1980's technology, and poorly thought out to start with.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 12:58 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

what is comfort for driver and passenger if you select DASH* discharge - maybe opening and closing a vent would divert airflow to unhappy camper.

*Panel outlets
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-27-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
DennisT777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, jtec. We've tried your suggestions but it doesn't help her. She's had decades long health issues and her legs are sensitive. She needs that area working. I'll try the duct tape idea as well as watch for other comments that may turn up here. When I drive alone I never have a problem, largely because I have no one else to worry about. However, I use AC and/or heat about 25% of the time she needs it. I'm good with open windows and fresh air! Not her. Overall, we've been happy with the Cherokee's heating/AC system for the past 100K+ miles we've each been driving these. It's just now the air distribution system that's the headache.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 03:14 AM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Try placing a thermometer on both sides to verify there is a temperature difference. Let her drive?
post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 04:22 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you care about heat to the back seat?
I wonder if closing off the duct under the console at the dashboard would help.
Problem with that idea is pretty sure it would require removing the console itself.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If mama ain't happy......

Following up on Ralph77 some duct tape to check out the theory before tearing into it.
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 06:01 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
If mama ain't happy......

Following up on Ralph77 some duct tape to check out the theory before tearing into it.
I was not really paying much attention to this when I removed the console in the '00 but looking
at that diagram I wonder if you can come in through the radio bezel and jam something in there.
Without interfering with the ducts going to each footwell that is.

Something else that just occurred to me.
Slightly out of the box thinking but what about seat heaters?
Done like a zillion times with aftermarket set ups.
Ok so maybe not so much for the legs but....
And I gotta say. The factory ones that I installed in my Jeep that did not come with them are pretty damn good.
My butt and back get all toasty with mine and they have to transmit the heat through my CoverKing Rhinohide
seat covers that I have over the seats.
Just a thought.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 07:20 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

Just switch seats?
post #12 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
DennisT777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Once again, thanks. We've often switched who is driving. I can tolerate temperatures, "off," from what I'd really like. But she has multiple health issues and often is not up to driving. I'm tending to the partial blocking of the driver's foot area air delivery. I can control the dash area vents. We'll know more next time we are driving it. Oh. Neither have seat heaters but that is not the area that bothers us.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2020, 11:16 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the duct tape works, you could possibly make a permanent and adjustable flapper from sheetmetal, a hinge, and an old school manual choke cable. That way the air flow out of one of the front floor ducts could be controlled.

The rear seat duct can be accessed enough for duct tape by loosening the floor console and lifting it up at the rear. It is not much more difficult to remove it completely.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 17 Old 09-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT777 View Post
I touched on this subject a few months back. No input that really resolved anything. Same for, "search." Yesterday we drove my wife's 2000 XJ, (200K miles), for 250 miles. Cool fall weather. Bad trip. Most of the way the heater was delivering cool air to my wife's legs on the passenger side, and plenty of hot air to me in the driver's seat. It's been doing this for months, but we have not been driving our Jeeps much lately. (Have another vehicle) This trip she wore a jacket anticipating the problem and I just had a light shirt on. I was so stuffy and hot I worried about driving safely. Seriously! Interesting thing is that, "my," '99 XJ exhibits exactly the same problem. I don't think my wife and I can ride together in our Jeeps any longer. Driving alone, the temp for both heat and AC can be adjusted properly with no problem; no passenger to worry about. We each try to make traveling more comfortable for the other and it just results in our both getting upset with the whole mess. I have researched these heaters as much as I can and read a lot about the, "blend," door that is a common problem, but if that were our problem it would affect BOTH sides of the Jeep. There has got to be some obstruction that has occurred in one or the other of the heater/AC air delivery passageways to cause this. But I can't figure out where. I'm 77 years old and I'm not able to crawl around under dash board as I used to be, even though I am reasonably handy with home car repairs.
Again, we have TWO Jeeps behaving badly in the same manner. Any ideas?????? Thanks, Dennis in E WA state

It might very well be the blend, or something similar/related.
I had a friend with a Grand Cherokee (2000 give or take a few years) which was hot on one side and cold on the other. There's a door inside the plenum box that directs hot air around and it has a tendency to shear off the rod it's attached to. I forget the details, but the result is that warm air doesn't get diverted to the passenger side - or maybe it's that the heater flow is blocked and the outside vent is stuck open, which lets in frigid air.

There are kits available to repair it, and it's fairly easy if you don't mind cutting into the plenum box (it's plastic).

Anyhow, we did the operation in my driveway and it took maybe an hour or two. Do some more research and pay close attention to the symptoms, and what happens when you move the heater controls. I wouldn't be surprised if the root of your problem lies with that internal flapper (Jeep calls it a damper door; something like that).

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire
post #15 of 17 Old 09-29-2020, 06:19 PM
1stCJ7

I have seen similar issues with several brands of vehicles. There is an electric motor on the "blend door" directing hot/cold air to the vents. Problem is that every time you turn ignition on the blend door will cycle all the way to one side, then the other, then rest where the control is set. This wears out the electric motor after several hundred (or thousand) cycles. Never done it on a jeep, but did id on a cheby and it took 14 hours(3 motors).... Best of luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in