98 XJ Cylinder 2 Misfire after flushing heater core?? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-16-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
fleels03

98 XJ Cylinder 2 Misfire after flushing heater core??

Today i sought out to resolve my no-heat issue on my 98 xj by flushing my heater core (which worked!). However, my first startuo after burping my coolant I got code P0302 for cylinder 2 misfire. I have no obvious symptoms before and it seems likely that its not a coincidence that this happened after i was messing around that area. I don’t see anything knocked out or loose so can anyone think of anything i might’ve done? Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-16-2017, 05:15 PM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

I'm going to guess it's time for a complete ignition tune up.

This gentleman is a sponsor on Jeepforum, Kolak.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...ne-up-1112455/

To diagnose what is going on, you most likely have a sparkplug wire that is cracked. With the electricity flowing through the ignition wire to the number 2 spark plug, it is traveling the path of least resistance. The electricity is able to arch out of the plug wire & ground out on the engine block. A simple test when it is dark, is to start the Jeep, open the hood, & use a spray mist bottle & spray the spark plug wires with water. If you see electrical sparks, you have failed ignition wire(s). Other possibilities are water inside the distributor cap, which would be an indication of a cracked distributor cap.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-16-2017, 05:16 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would check the spark plug wires at both ends, the plugs and the distributor, for any loose or dislodged wires. The most likely cause for the misfire is some dampness from the flushing which should dry up by itself after a driving a bit. As MM suggested, if it is time for a tune-up, buy top quality original equipment type tune-up parts and freshen things up.
MaskedMallard likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in