98 Jeep with Terminal Fuel Pump - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

98 Jeep with Terminal Fuel Pump

So I've had concerns with my fuel system almost since I've bought it and I think it may have been for good reason. First off my Jeep has never not cranked and I'm sorry if this is a long post. With that said let me explain.

My jeep will start up almost beautifully on a cold crank however if I drive it somewhere and shut it off and try to crank it 15 or more minutes after I shut it off it will either turn over and not crank or start and then sputter until it stalls. This past friday I've found I found it has an intermittent leak coming from where the area where to fuel pump is. I tried to lower the tank and see where it was coming from while turning the key to the on and off several times and then also while its running and it looked like it may have been from the disconnect but I'm not entirely sure. It doesn't seem to ever leak while running. Today I bought a fuel pressure tester to see what my pressure was like. So just turning the key to the on position it read 5-10 psi, if I turned the key on and off it would go up to 20 or so and then slowly go back down. Running it has pressure of 41 and stays at 41-42 psi under load as well. Another thing I'll mention is that when it gets to 1/4 of a tank I can barely drive and it will drop down to below E. I've driven for as many as 30 miles like that and not ran out.

Replacing the fuel pump has been on my list, but I've kept putting off. I saw thread from 2005 (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...97s-up-138580/) of how to rebuild the fuel pump assembly and the guy who sold the oem parts, but I tried e-mailing a couple of days ago and have not heard from him. I assume I will need a new pump, filter(s), rubber seal, lock nut, and possibly a new pressure regulator. And I assume on the 97 ups the pressure regulator is on top of the fuel pump assembly.

So lastly does any one know where I can get the OE parts at a good price? Otherwise I'll likely end up buying it from rockauto.com and Bosch brand if they have it? Any other good brands I should consider?

Here is an album of all the pics: http://imgur.com/a/GGXUY#9Qzn5jt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also if I do find out that my fuel quick disconnect is leaking, is it best to buy a new OE quick disconnect line, or can I just use some fuel hose and hose clamp?
post #3 of 3 Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
antcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I've decided to just go ahead and replace the pump, pressure regulator, quick disco., filters, and seal and lock nut. I ordered all but the fuel disconnect line. I ordered the Bosch pump and a strainer set off of RockAuto.com for 76 bucks and then ordered a standard motors fuel pressure regulator from amazon that had immaculate reviews from other jeepers for 65 bucks and lastly a lock nut and fuel pump seal from jeep 4x4 center for 20 bucks. Hopefully this will fix my issues. Will update when I've installed the parts.

Tags
fuel pressure , fuel pressure regulator , fuel pump , fuel pump assembly , fuel pump replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in