'98 4.0 drilling knock sensor boss- help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

'98 4.0 drilling knock sensor boss- help

I am swapping a '98 4.0 into my son's '90 Renix Cherokee. I have to drill the boss for the knock sensor. Can anyone give me their input for this? I don't want to go to deep! At least, I believe it is the knock sensor. Driver's side just under the motor mount.

Thank you

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The hole is "blind", meaning it doesn't go through to anything.

Just drill it the depth of the hole in the old block.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

Thanks Cruiser. I have read several of your previous posts in former threads. Appreciate the input.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!

post #4 of 17 Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Curious.

Do you have an undrilled boss?

Or do you have a drilled hole just above the oil pan level on the block?

post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

Turns out I have both. In the end I did not have to drill the boss. I utilized the already existing hole which I failed to see (as you mentioned just above the oil pan). Also, the temp sensor utilized an existing hole once I removed the plug (which was a challenge unto itself). So happy day for me! Now I can focus on the remaining inconvenient little changes that have to occur before I can fire it up.

Things to do...
Move(?) the oil filter, or canister, because the canister is now in the way, so removing the oil filter is impossible.
Install a 90* ell for the oil pressure sensor, as it sticks straight out from the block and makes contact with the firewall.
Install manifolds
Connect sensors and vacuum lines
Fire it up!

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You're doing great. Thanks for the updates.

So, was only the hole there or was it also threaded?

post #7 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

It was present and threaded. A welcome find!

Are you familiar with how the oil filter is angled on the side of the Renix engine, or is that trait specific to my son's Cherokee? That whole oil filter assembly needs to go on the '98 block, so it, too, is angled to clear the charcoal canister. Will it swap over or do I need to relocate the canister?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
It was present and threaded. A welcome find!

Are you familiar with how the oil filter is angled on the side of the Renix engine, or is that trait specific to my son's Cherokee? That whole oil filter assembly needs to go on the '98 block, so it, too, is angled to clear the charcoal canister. Will it swap over or do I need to relocate the canister?
Normal. Just mount whichever oil filter adapter you want to use at the same angle as your son's.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

So that means simply remove the adaptor from the Renix and it will screw on the '98??

Reading your Renix tips. Thank you for taking the time to compile so much useful info.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #10 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
So that means simply remove the adaptor from the Renix and it will screw on the '98??

Reading your Renix tips. Thank you for taking the time to compile so much useful info.
Use the Renix adapter and bolt with new Renix o-rings. Use the filter nipple from the other engine on it so you can use the more readily available filters. http://cruiser54.com/?p=257

post #11 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

Ahhh... I already did it but did not use a new o-ring. But I'm pretty excited to have it done! So the oil filter is relocated, and the oil pressure sending unit has a new ell, and DANG this thing seems to be coming together!!! Careful, Scott... don't jinx it!

Where do I get a new 0-ring?
Where do I get a new knock sensor (ours has a broken housing)? AZ says they are not available.

Thank you, Cruiser. I really appreciate the help.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #12 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Ahhh... I already did it but did not use a new o-ring. But I'm pretty excited to have it done! So the oil filter is relocated, and the oil pressure sending unit has a new ell, and DANG this thing seems to be coming together!!! Careful, Scott... don't jinx it!

Where do I get a new 0-ring?
Where do I get a new knock sensor (ours has a broken housing)? AZ says they are not available.

Thank you, Cruiser. I really appreciate the help.
If you're using the Renix adapter, it has 3 seals. Be sure to replace all 3.
Attached Images

post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 07:55 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

As for the knock sensor, I'm not sure. I think there are some generic replacements available. What's broken on yours?

post #14 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Skerr

1985 CJ7 

The actual housing. You can see the internal portion of the sensor. Maybe gotta make a trip to the JY?

Been searching for the oil filter adapter seal kit online, but unsuccessfully. Thought I found it on Amazon, but it was for a different model. Is this a dealer part?

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #15 of 17 Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring Sizes

87-90 Renix Model Orings

0.799 x 0.103 AS568 size -117
1.296 x 0.139 AS568 size -219
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size 230

Dealer Part Numbers for Renix. Sold individually:

33002970, 33002971, 33002972

Renix kit from Crown Automotive-33002970K

91-01 HO Model Orings

0.676 x 0.070 AS568 size -017
0.859 x 0.139 AS568 size -212
2.484 x 0.139 AS568 size -230

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in