97 xj 4.0 engine codes p0118 & p1698 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Conchito
1997 XJ Cherokee 

97 xj 4.0 engine codes p0118 & p1698

I said howdy, he said hi!

Having an issue. Went to the auto part store and ran a scan and came up with p0118 and p1698. Two main issues are voltage is running at 13.45/12.15/ or not at all. Second issue is a hesitation when running down the road. Not a miss fire, but almost like the motor is shutting down and starting back up. Someone told me maybe TPS, this I changed. Waiting to see if hesitation persists. Now maybe CPS? Checked grounds, but voltage issues still persist. Took the alternator up to the auto parts store and it checked out good. Battery replaced a couple of months ago. It has a zj 95 block and head that were swapped in January, but EVERYTHING else is from the 95 setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only two codes I got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Conchito
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nobody, really?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 AM
LiftedBucket

Garage
P1698 on Chrysler - Failure to communicate with TCM.

Check your Neutral safety switch and wiring. Its a start.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2016, 11:03 AM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If system voltage is going up/down and sometimes dropping out entirely, this will lead to all sorts of starting and driveability issues, it can also lead to a variety of misleading obd2 codes. This issue is the main issue, and as such should be resolved first, before moving on to anything else. The other issues have a very high likelihood of being symptoms of this issue.

If the store said the alternator is good, then barring an intermittent problem with the alternator, you likely have a situation where the alternator is able to generate the proper voltage that the system needs, but due to bad connections, bad wiring, or bad ground connections, it is not able to provide the system with that voltage.

Start by doing the basics:

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Solve the known problems. As Jordan has suggested, the P1698 is most likely caused by the battery/charging issues. You should be seeing no less than 13.8 - 14.4 volts at 1000+ rpms from the alternator.

P0118 JEEP - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit High

Possible causes
- Low engine coolant level
- Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty engine coolant thermostat
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical circuit poor connection

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 AM
LiftedBucket

Garage
I think your gonna need an alternator, you can spin them all day long and measure the output but most auto parts don't check AC ripple. If the ripple output is too noisy its no good. A good shop can check this for you for what should be a small fee.

As others have said however, verify your connections are in good shape before. Assuming the alternator is in decent shape and not bricked check your C101 connector which is located above the brake booster if your truck has one. Its a fat bunch of wires going into a connector can't miss it.

I am unsure if Jeep had omitted this connector by 97 so you may not have one. If you don't have this connector check your firewall plug, and all grounds. It wouldn't hurt to remove the alternator, and sand the mating surfaces on the block if you notice any corrosion.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Conchito
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry it took me a few days but it was the alternator.

Thanks for all the help!

Tags
alternator , code , voltage , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in