96 xj stalled - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
reefskunk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 xj stalled

i just got my cherokee last friday, I've driven it everyday since its been fine until yesterday, im new to jeeps and know very little to nothing about my xj any assistances would be greatly appreciated. (4.0, auto trans, rwd)

All right so here is what happen, im driving to work going straight on a surface road about 40-45 mph. all of a sudden my jeep starts shaking and stalls. i pull over and look under the hood to see if anything looks off, i don't find anything. i try starting it again it gave a fuss but started right up within a minute. im about a mile away from work so i decide to the risk drive not knowing what was wrong.

so im driving now my check engine light is on and the jeep is making this clicky sound(video link bellow) but it's driving just like normal i can't feel anything different. i get to work(thats when i took the video) and when i get out i go to start my jeep up and now the check engine light is gone, but it's still making that sound. i got home without a problem thankfully.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...68550033664673

any way if anyone knows what might have happened it would be of great help as it is my only vehicle at the moment. thank you

Last edited by reefskunk; 01-09-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

gotta love jeeps. How low was your gas driving to work? kinda sounds like you sucked some debris from the bottom of the tank that clogged the line. As far as that sound, it sounds like the belt to me. I have heard my belts make all sorts of crazy noises. If the check engine light is on, check you electronics - disitributor tight , cap and rotor are tight, wires are arching out (check at night-should be able to see blue archs coming off the wires if they are bad), Or fuel pump could be on its way out. Didnt give enough info for a specific answer
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Bradb0816
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That noise is defiantly a belt. Mine does that when it gets wet (splashing through water/mud and stuff).

post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
reefskunk
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i took a closer look and had found one of my hoses wasn't tight enough and was dripping coolant on to my belt. Also i do recall my gas being at a little under a quarter tank when this happened. so it makes sense that there could be some junk in the tank. as for my check engine light its remains off and my jeep has been driving normally. thanks guys for your input and help. im slowly getting to know my jeep (:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in