96 4.0 Engine into 99 XJ and a Few Other Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
GoldCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

96 4.0 Engine into 99 XJ and a Few Other Questions

So it looks like the 206k 4.0 in my 99 XJ has finally decided to call it quits. It's got a hell of a tick (more like a banging sound) from the top half of the motor that I suspect is a completely collapsed lifter. While I know that this is somewhat fixable in the Jeep via head removal, the rest of the motor isn't in great shape. I also happen to have a complete 4.0 from a 96 XJ sitting on an engine stand in my garage, which was pulled running at 160k miles. Anyways, onto the questions;

1. Is there anything between the two years that wont match up? I plan to use the 96 long block with the 99 accessories. I think that should work, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone knows about any major changes between the two motors.

2. The 96 4.0 has been sitting on an engine stand for almost 3.5 years. I had other intentions for it, but life got in the way, and things didn't happen. The engine ran great when it was pulled, but hasn't been turned over or messed with since. I'm pretty sure it still has the same oil in it from when I pulled it. What would you guys recommend I do before attempting to use it again? My thoughts were to replace most of the seals and make sure it turned over ok, but I didn't know if I should attempt to pull the head to check out the cylinders before messing with it. Everything I pull out will be put back together with new seals/parts if needed, but I would kinda like to keep the budget on this somewhat low.

3. Anything else that you guys would recommend doing while I've got it all apart?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Tom
1999 Cherokee 4.0 4WD
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 QDII Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

Spray some penetrating oil into each cylinder and crank the motor by hand. Replace the rear main seal, harmonic balancer, and the oil filter adapter seals. If it ran OK, leave the head on it.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
GoldCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.
Cool. That's what I thought I remembered, but it's been awhile since I've messed with Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Spray some penetrating oil into each cylinder and crank the motor by hand. Replace the rear main seal, harmonic balancer, and the oil filter adapter seals. If it ran OK, leave the head on it.
That's what I was leaning towards. Pulling the head seemed like too much work for what I need to do, but I didn't want to overlook anything.

Thanks for the reassurance!

-Tom
1999 Cherokee 4.0 4WD
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 QDII Limited

Tags
4.0 , engine , swap , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in