89 XJ U-joint to CV axle swap? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 XJ U-joint to CV axle swap?

Hey guys I was hoping I could get some advice possibly from someone who has done this before. I'm wanting to swap my front axle's(Dana 30 on an 89 xj 4x4 with part and full time 4x4) u-joint style to cv style and was hoping someone could tell me if it's difficult to do or just a direct swap? I realize that the u-joint style are more durable and better for wheeling but this is going to be a DD and I would rather have the cv axles for their ride quality. Besides I'll rarely go off road and when I do it'll be only to ride on a trail nothing serious. The cv axles I want to use are the ones from autozone I'll include a picture with the part numbers in case that helps. Any advice or just let me know if it should work without doing any modifications. Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM
rugsucka
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's a straight forward swap. You will need to remove tires, remove rotors, remove calipers, remove the axle nut (36mm socket), remove the hub (12pt 13mm socket) then pull the current axles and swap in the replacements. Then reassemble and torque to spec. Don't forget to reinstall the dust cover. I've done it more than once. This is a casual 2 hour, 3 beer job start to finish if you've done it before. I have no idea what labour would be if you farmed it out. Probably 2-4 hours depending on the shop.

FWIW - There is nothing wrong with running Ujoints in your front axle. Unless your Ujoints are trashed, I wouldn't install CV axles just for a potential ride improvement. I don't think you'll see an appreciable difference. If your Ujoints are in good condition and the axle shafts are not egged out or tweaked the ride quality is going to be fine. Those are not what I'd call the "better quality" CV axles. You may end up replacing them much sooner than a good quality Ujoint in a regular pair of shafts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks rugsucka! My u-joints are shot and since I lack a press I figured that'd be the easiest replacement! Thanks for the excellent reply by the way, you answered my question fully with a great detailed response and now I know to expect. Yeah I'm aware they are "cheaper" replacements but hey sometimes you gotta do what you can afford and I'm not afraid of doing a little wrenching or having to replace em again in the future until I can afford higher quality replacements.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM
rugsucka
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hit up Harbor Freight when they have the 4WD Ball Joint Service kit on sale. This kit will do Ujoints as well as Balljoints. I've even used it to help press out the splined bolts that attach the sway bar to the axle.

For the price of it, and a couple of Ujoints you will have the axle shafts happy again for the same price as those 2 CV axles.

There is a socket and BFH trick to replacing Ujoints, but it's not very elegant and if you have rusty seized Ujoints then you will need a press anyways.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen a video on using a small mallet(?) and a sturdy vice. My u-joints are shot, as in complete **** lol kinda like the rest of my $600 jeep. Not really, for $600 the motor is strong(had slight miss due to short on 1&2 injector harness/clip thing), trans is good, and my 4 wheel drive works just fine so I gotta say it was a good investment and a good starter project for me.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Also I will look into that kit since I live 5 minutes from a harbor freight and my mom(where my jeep is because she has a garage to work in) is less then that from it. Thanks for the tip always need more tools and ball joints are on the list too!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A vise , hammer, screw driver . All you need ! Save your money and stick with u-joints. Spicer 5-760x.

7" long arm lift, HNT sye , herculined inside, bush wacker fender flares now geared and locked !!!
62 mm bored throttle body's fs - pm
post #8 of 10 Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That's all I need to put the new joints in as well? Taking em out didn't look difficult.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinInJackson View Post
That's all I need to put the new joints in as well? Taking em out didn't look difficult.
Yup, make sure all needle bearing stay in place while assembly .

7" long arm lift, HNT sye , herculined inside, bush wacker fender flares now geared and locked !!!
62 mm bored throttle body's fs - pm
post #10 of 10 Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Okay will do thanks!

Tags
4x4 , axle , dana 30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in