89 remix skip/exhaust backfire - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
goatworks88

89 remix skip/exhaust backfire

Hello all and thanks in advance.
traded my motorcycle for this cherokee a few months ago and I've been trying to get it running well since. Someone needs their tools thrown away due to some of the wiring repairs that I have had to go and re-fix. But to my actual problem.

Starts up fine, idles fine, but when you accelerate from a stop under normal load it starts bucking and backfiring. The previous owner gutted the cat and swapped out a few injectors chasing the problem, which I found out about later. So I have spent the last months cleaning wires and changing injectors. To no avail.

Still skipping and bucking and backfiring. You can power through it and it runs fine. Until you get to causing speed of about 55 and start to cruse then it starts up again.

I have adjusted the distributor, adjusted tps, replaced the o2 sensor due to being stuck at 2 volts, replaced old worn plugs and wires, checked compression (135-140), the only thing that I have not done is check fuel pressure and replaced cps.

Any help or insite on this problem. Oh and my wife would thank you also. She now hates the jeep and me sometimes because of it. Lol

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 AM
john3416
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Same issue

I have been fighting this with my 89 for a while after installing a newly rebuilt engine. Saturday, after completing much of what you have done, changed throttle control with newer TPS and IAC , changed the EGR control valve, ballast resister, #3 spark plug and the distributor and finally no back fires and it runs fine. The only issue I have now, trany shifting issues. It does not like to upshift. I tried adjusting the kickdown but no avail.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatworks88 View Post
Hello all and thanks in advance.
traded my motorcycle for this cherokee a few months ago and I've been trying to get it running well since. Someone needs their tools thrown away due to some of the wiring repairs that I have had to go and re-fix. But to my actual problem.

Starts up fine, idles fine, but when you accelerate from a stop under normal load it starts bucking and backfiring. The previous owner gutted the cat and swapped out a few injectors chasing the problem, which I found out about later. So I have spent the last months cleaning wires and changing injectors. To no avail.

Still skipping and bucking and backfiring. You can power through it and it runs fine. Until you get to causing speed of about 55 and start to cruse then it starts up again.

I have adjusted the distributor, adjusted tps, replaced the o2 sensor due to being stuck at 2 volts, replaced old worn plugs and wires, checked compression (135-140), the only thing that I have not done is check fuel pressure and replaced cps.

Any help or insite on this problem. Oh and my wife would thank you also. She now hates the jeep and me sometimes because of it. Lol

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
I would begin here:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=19

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3416 View Post
I have been fighting this with my 89 for a while after installing a newly rebuilt engine. Saturday, after completing much of what you have done, changed throttle control with newer TPS and IAC , changed the EGR control valve, ballast resister, #3 spark plug and the distributor and finally no back fires and it runs fine. The only issue I have now, trany shifting issues. It does not like to upshift. I tried adjusting the kickdown but no avail.
That isn't a kickdown cable. It's a throttle valve cable. It increases the line pressure in the trans as the throttle is opened further.
Could be the trans side of the TPS is bad.
Before I went there I would do this:
http://cruiser54.com/?p=19 and this:http://cruiser54.com/?p=58

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
goatworks88

Figured it out. It is a streched timing chain and a distributor out of time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in