84 to 94 XJ Steering column - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
tazenman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
84 to 94 XJ Steering column

Hey everyone. I purchased a steering column from an 84 to 94 Jeep XJ and during shipping fedex decided to play hockey or some other physical sport with the package. When I unboxed the steering column the green plastic bushing that the lower bearing fits in was in about 5 pieces. I need to find a replacement and all the ones I find on the internet look like they are for the YJ. The XJ steering column has the firewall shroud welded to the end of the column so the bearing and plastic bushing is all that is in the end of the column shaft. The YJ has a small plastic bushing that the berring snaps into with a ring that fits over the end of the column and snap rings that hold all of that in place. There is none of that for the XJ and the plastic piece seems to go way up into the bottom of the column. The one thing is the bearing looks the same between the YJ and XJ.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Attached Thumbnails
pic1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2020, 10:10 PM
BeerdedXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

They shared a lot of the same parts as early chevy S10 trucks/blazers - might have some crossover...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-18-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
tazenman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Resolution to this, Well there really isn't one because the part is not made anymore, to my complete surprise. But this is what I had to do. I hammered FedEx until they reimbursed me for the column; calling claims department several times a day for a couple of weeks and I finally got to talk to a manager that actually listened to me and decided they were in fact responsible for the damage. Since this column is actually going into a wrangler and I have to remove the bottom flange... I am going to just cut off the bottom of the column on this column and the wrangler column and weld the bottom of the wrangler column on the XJ column. This way I can get and use the bearing kit for the YJ Wrangler. A Huge pain in the butt, but I now have a solution in the works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in