3 questions...realignment, rear wiper parts and modified headlight harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-10-2021, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

3 questions...realignment, rear wiper parts and modified headlight harness

'96 XJ here and she's due for some maintenance

1) My steering has been misaligned for a while now pulling fairly hard to the right. What part of my steering is causing this and how to adjust? I won't get this perfect but any improvement would be great

2) How do I find just the headlight harness for this kind of bulb? 3 prong, pic below. Every search I do for H4 hella harness gives the whole thing and I just need the parts that plug into the bulbs w/ pigtails.

3) Broke the dang rear wiper assembly the other day and need to find replacement parts. Thing is I hadn't paid any attention to how this broken part (pic below) was before it was broke so I don't know how they go back together, or if I can just order the small broken part or the whole arm assembly that comes with it. Also wondering what it's called and where to look for it.

Thanks friends, appreciate the help.

--
~~_/) ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-10-2021, 04:28 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
rear wiper arm assembly should do it. If they make one since i bet there is no stock new parts left..... Pick a part if no after market.

well someone needs to look at your front suspension. its what now 25 years old. stock? Can you replace steering parts, bushings Ball joints maybe could be list of worn stuff on a 4x4 front end. im thinking you can not? Know a good shop? nothing you can just adjust with screw driver.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2021, 06:45 PM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2021, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help guys. I feel stupid when I can't find something with a simple search so I've learned that lesson once again. Since I'm running higher wattage lights that ceramic H4 harness is exactly the upgrade I needed.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #5 of 16 Old 07-14-2021, 01:10 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Be very careful as to what you do with the H4 headlamps. Adaptors are nice but do not include relays which will be needed. The headlamp wiring harness will not handle the H4 bulbs. I recommend this company to supply you with information & hardware. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ Extremely knowledgeable is an understatement.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-21-2021, 07:48 AM
Wallyb4

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
You can check to see if your alignment is off my measuring the front wheels with a tape measure. Measure the front wheels from center to center then do the back of the front wheels center to center and see if the are the same. IF not you will need to adjust the Tie rod end to make them match.
Attached Thumbnails
steering.jpg  

Walter Ballard
97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
My Toy.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-22-2021, 09:45 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am in the process of rewiring the headlight system on my XJ with 12 Ga wire and HD 5 pin relays,

I am keeping the OEM system in place but I am using it to trigger the relays by inserting the correct spades into the Drivers lamp socket and then running those wires to the relays. It can be almost instantly reverted back to stock.

The relays are the water proof 80/60amp 5 pin relays with 12ga leads on input and the 87 /87a pins.
They are supplied by a dedicated 6 Ga for all lighting needs on a 100 amp breaker then subdivide into
individual 30 or 40 amp fuses for each relay.

All wire is US made GTX, all connectors are tinned copper with adhesive heat shrink tubing either soldered or crimped with the correct Die. Sockets are 12 Ga ceramics. All wire is in split loom and taped.

Relays/sockets

12 Ga headlight wiring:

pic host

Relays and terminal blocks being installed

OEM Wire with replaced aftermarket socket before I decided to Upgrade to 12 Ga with relays
Note the wide spades about to be plugged into OEM harness to run the relays/

post #8 of 16 Old 07-23-2021, 07:09 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS
HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE
NOVEMBER 17, 2015 SALAD 63 COMMENTS EDIT
Putco relaysHeadlamp harness

Itís easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, through connectors, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire and more connectors. Itís not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 35% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that donít melt and burn out.

Hereís a link to a harness on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807

Absolutely plug and play:

Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side.
Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness.
Attach the new harnessís ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it.
Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side.
Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp.
Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness.
Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt.
Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender.
Connect power wires to battery.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #9 of 16 Old 07-23-2021, 09:43 AM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS
HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE
NOVEMBER 17, 2015 SALAD 63 COMMENTS EDIT
Putco relaysHeadlamp harness

Itís easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, through connectors, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire and more connectors. Itís not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 35% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that donít melt and burn out.

Hereís a link to a harness on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807

Absolutely plug and play:

Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side.
Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness.
Attach the new harnessís ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it.
Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side.
Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp.
Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness.
Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt.
Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender.
Connect power wires to battery.
Link is dead:

We looked everywhere.
Looks like this page is missing. If you still need help, visit our help pages.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-23-2021, 11:35 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

well, crap!! Something else for my to-do list!

In the meantime, understand that it is an H4 connector.

Here's one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/26248354271...pid=1973689229

post #11 of 16 Old 07-23-2021, 07:02 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

All good stuff on the headlamp wiring harness upgrade. The OE headlights are one of if not the worst feature on an XJ. I intend to run the H4 European headlamps, good quality pieces, for the shape of the light pattern. The lens have a sharp cutoff without any light cast where it will cause a problem with oncoming traffic. Also the H4 lens have a sharp cut-up (45 degree?) on the right or shoulder side of the road to give you a chance to see Bambi or whatever before the critter jumps out in front of you. I have not looked in my cache of electrical for this project for quite a while but as I recall the bulb I have chosen will have a low beam equal to the OE high beam & the high beam is roughly double that. Over the years on a variety of cars this has been my go to set-up. The difference is beyond amazing!
post #12 of 16 Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

An FYI. Years ago on a Jeep forum, a guy used a lumen meter he borrowed from work to quantify the difference in using stock headlamps before and after the harness installation.
35% higher lumens with just the harness.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for more discussion and that illustration Wallyb4.

Turns out my bad steering was caused by two different tires on the front. Cannot BELIEVE I didn't figure that out before. OH well, now I know.

I've been resisting going with high discharge lights because they just seem too out of place on an older truck. But seeing the safety more light offers I'd be stupid not to go ahead and do the upgrade. Do they make bright light systems now that are more like the original lamp color instead of that bright white?

--
~~_/) ~~
post #14 of 16 Old 07-25-2021, 07:34 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Just do halogens. Like Hellas with 100/90 bulbs as long as you're doing the harness upgrade. even autopal work fine.

post #15 of 16 Old 07-25-2021, 01:50 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

@Bradley heathhays, The H4 upgrade is worth the effort & cost. If or no other reason, safety. As I have aged, my night vision has diminished as is the case with most folks but fortunately rarely do I have the need to drive at night. The improved lighting makes up for this decline. Talking about tyres of different sizes, I recall a similar experience. My younger brother had a car that I was about to purchase. For a long time, he had complained about the car pulling to one side. My first question to him was whether the set were all the same size. He blew me off said no way, etc. so I let it drop. First thing I checked was the sizes & yes, the one side had 75 series & the other side had 70 series. Took the car to the installer who apologised profusely and proceeded to make it right without any cost. Drove fine after that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in