200amp alternator - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
98XjJoe89

200amp alternator

I have been searching for a while for a 200 amp alternator for my 1998 xj sport, came across this one : http://store.alternatorparts.com/dn-...lternator.aspx and was wondering if anyone has any information (external or internal volatge regulation?) or experience with this alternator. I've seen it posted on a few forums including this one but other than part number no other info can be found. Can't seem to find it on nippondenso website or catalog so I'm hesitant to buy. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XjJoe89 View Post
I have been searching for a while for a 200 amp alternator for my 1998 xj sport, came across this one : http://store.alternatorparts.com/dn-...lternator.aspx and was wondering if anyone has any information (external or internal volatge regulation?) or experience with this alternator. I've seen it posted on a few forums including this one but other than part number no other info can be found. Can't seem to find it on nippondenso website or catalog so I'm hesitant to buy. Any help is appreciated thanks.
It appears to be the larger housing used for ZJ's and durangos and such. Those two studs on the back are to communicate with the field connector (meaning externally regulated by the PCM cycling the field ground, just like stock). Your 98 will have a little ovular pigtail, but you should be able to adapt it to fit those studs, the connection and control method is the same, just different shaped conenctors. You can find mention of them on several of the ZJ 136amp swap threads.

I'm not familiar with a denso in that case size above the 160amp found in 5.9 durangos, but it looks right. It would require some grinding to fit just like any of the other larger-cased alts people swap in.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XjJoe89 View Post
Well I haven't used that particular alternator but I would trust what bluejunior posted about the connections.

I do have experience with high AMP alternators. After I installed a winch I opted for this 270 AMP beast http://www.nationsstarteralternator....3341-270xp.htm

The nice thing about this one is that it has the proper connectors to connect with the existing field wire connection. I got around having to grind anything off the mount or the block by fabricating a tab to move the bottom mount hole over to the right of the vehicle about 3/4 of an inch. I did have to do some cutting and welding of the stamped steel front alternator bracket to get it to clearance.

THERE IS A LOT MORE YOU HAVE TO BE CONCERNED WITH! When you make this change to a high output alternator!

1. Your existing main power feed wires will not be able to handle that amount of power. You will need to upgrade to 4 gauge or heavier wire for your alternator to positive battery, and negative to engine block ground.

2. The existing fuseable link between the alternator and the positive battery is also too small. You will need to replace it with at least a 225 AMP main line BUSS fuse. (See a marine supply store, They have such things on the shelf.)

3. You will have to re-route how the power flows from the battery/alternator to the vehicle. Currently the alternator power flows from the alt. to the power distribution box, then to the battery. I suggest going from the alt. (w/ 4gauge wire) to the new 225 AMP fuse, straight to the battery, then to the PDC.

Now I am sure you are probably a bit lost right now. Give me a bit, and I will try to throw something together on YouTube on my installation.

Dave

post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
98XjJoe89

BlueJunior thanks for that insight, I will definitely do a search for those threads.

Dave, that is one nice looking alternator man! Thanks for those 3 important tips too, fortunately I have already done some research and know the importance of upgrading those cables.
I am already planning on getting larger cables from 5-90 through kelleyswip.com (I'm sure you know about him), the only thing holding me up was which fuse size to order because I haven't found an alternator yet.
If I can find out a sure way to get this one to work with my jeep I'll be good to go. I know it will definitely require some grinding on the bracket, as far as anything else I'm clueless. A youtube video would be awesome! Thanks for the help so far guys,
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I made my own cables. Tractor Supply can be your friend when it comes to such things. I got a spool of 2 gauge wire and all the cable ends I needed from them. The fuse and holder I ordered from Nations starter (the link to the alternator add.) but you can get the same thing in a waterproof housing from any marine dealer.

I also soldered all my cable ends too. If you have ever soldered copper water pipe with propane, "you got this."

You are looking at a large case Denso alternator. Supposedly you only need to grind off a small amount from the bracket to get it to clear. My alternator's case is actually bigger than that, so I had to relocate the hole.

I suggest taking a trip to the bone yard and pull the bracket from another XJ and modify it to fit the new alternator, and install it along with the new alt. Just less chance of screwing things up that way, and you will be able to keep you ride on the road till you got things just right.

HERE IS THE VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxGu...ature=youtu.be

NOTE; I left the old power feed and engine ground wires in the jeep, just taped up and out of the way. If I ever get rid of it I am going to pull the alternator first and put a stock unit back in it.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
98XjJoe89

Dave I can't thank you enough for going out of your way to get me that info it's greatly appreciated. Looks like I'm heading to a yard to find a bracket to start working on, thanks again!

Tags
1998 , alternator , cherokee , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in