• 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By JeepNovice63
  • 2 Post By SmashDN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-22-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001XJ Leaf Spring replacement recommendations

Jeep is not lifted, and I'm not looking for any significant lift over stock specs..... but at 214000 miles I'm down a half to three quarters of an inch from the spec [ 17" center of hub to bottom of fender flare?] and the original springs are getting more concave than convex.

Looking for recommendations for the best quality stock spring replacements. So far looking at Dorman [which I can order through the local NAPA] or Genuine Mopar. Cost is too close to complain about either.

Or other brands???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Crown Automotive makes excellent leafs and coils for the XJ. They have various spring rates available too. That way we can choose one that's appropriate for your vehicle's stock and aftermarket equipment.

If you'd like to chat, I'm a Crown dealer and would be happy to assist. You can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]
SmashDN likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This Kolak, I will get in touch.
Kolak likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 09:58 AM
JeepNovice63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hear ONLY BAD about Dorman

I'm in a similar situation as you w/ my 2000 xj. Will be replacing rear leafs. Since I'm replacing anyway, I have decided to put 2 to 3 inches of lift on it so I can run 31" tires.
I'd suggest you do the same. But I hear only bad things about virtually ALL Dorman products. I regularly watch a YouTube mechanic "South Main Auto" a guy from upstate NY who runs his own garage. He's very impressive at diagnosing all kinds of problems on all kinds of vehicles - including XJ's. He constantly rails on the garbage produced by Dorman. So if you're bound and determined to keep stock height, I'd suggest OEM over Dorman anyday.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNovice63 View Post
I'm in a similar situation as you w/ my 2000 xj. Will be replacing rear leafs. Since I'm replacing anyway, I have decided to put 2 to 3 inches of lift on it so I can run 31" tires.
I'd suggest you do the same. But I hear only bad things about virtually ALL Dorman products. I regularly watch a YouTube mechanic "South Main Auto" a guy from upstate NY who runs his own garage. He's very impressive at diagnosing all kinds of problems on all kinds of vehicles - including XJ's. He constantly rails on the garbage produced by Dorman. So if you're bound and determined to keep stock height, I'd suggest OEM over Dorman anyday.
Thanks for the feedback... I have no desire or intention to install any lift kit so I'll check out Kolak and OEM offerings.

Don't really need the 1.75" extra Axle/Diff clearance that 31's would give or the effect on mileage/handling.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Contact Kolak for all of your suspension or exhaust needs. He has great advice and prices. He hooked me up with great riding Rancho rs5000x shocks for much less than Amazon and others. I will be ordering some 3.5" RE leafs very soon.
Michaelj51 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 11:55 AM
JeepNovice63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Understood. I wrestled with that same pro/con dilemma, but decided to take the plunge. Hope I don't regret it.
Michaelj51 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 11:59 AM
JeepNovice63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ranch shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Contact Kolak for all of your suspension or exhaust needs. He has great advice and prices. He hooked me up with great riding Rancho rs5000x shocks for much less than Amazon and others. I will be ordering some 3.5" RE leafs very soon.
Yo Boogieman,
I've done my homework on leafs but know nothing at all about shocks. What will those Rancho rs5000x shocks do for you?
I'm going up a couple inches but still want a nice street ride since I use it as a daily. Tell me about those, if you would.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just did mine with Old Man Emu

Video link

post #10 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 02:59 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What leafs are you considering? Old Man Emu? You replacing coils too?

Quote:
Yo Boogieman,
I've done my homework on leafs but know nothing at all about shocks. What will those Rancho rs5000x shocks do for you?
I'm going up a couple inches but still want a nice street ride since I use it as a daily. Tell me about those, if you would.

or
post #11 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 AM
JeepNovice63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
What leafs are you considering? Old Man Emu? You replacing coils too?

Looking at Rubicon Express full leaf kit which includes coils, track bar and control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 13 Old 11-26-2019, 03:31 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I put the Crown HD jobs on mine when I did an aal way back when. I went with the HD as I will occasionally tow an aluminum boat with it. They are pretty stiff when you first throw them on there but as they settle and mellow out they provide a good ride. I had the convex factory leaf issue prior to installing those.
Kolak and Michaelj51 like this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Is that the trackbar with the heim joint at the frame end? That's been problematic if so. I'd recommend something different there.

I'm an RE dealer (as well as Crown, OME, IRO, etc). If you want to chat about your lift, please PM here on the forum or email me at [email protected] - I will be happy to assist.

Quote:
Looking at Rubicon Express full leaf kit which includes coils, track bar and control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in