2001 XJ power door lock switches - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

2001 XJ power door lock switches

They are on-again-off-again. They work better the colder it is outside!?! Anyway the FSM says the passenger door switch has the relay which I can hear struggling to work. Both are obsolete/unavailable. So has anyone opened one up to see if the relay can be fixed/replaced?

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
They are on-again-off-again. They work better the colder it is outside!?! Anyway the FSM says the passenger door switch has the relay which I can hear struggling to work. Both are obsolete/unavailable. So has anyone opened one up to see if the relay can be fixed/replaced?
So my '00 since the day I bought her the locks would work 99% of the time.
When they did not work I could hear a click from the passenger side. Also when they did not work it would only be for a short period of time. Like I would stop at the store, they would not work, spend 15 minutes in there, and when I came out would. One time though they did not work for about 3 days.
Cause of the nature of the problem I did not think it was wiring.
So having extra parts I took one apart thinking I would resolder it like guys do to the driver's side when they have the issue with the window lock button.
Thing is I could not figure out how to get the circuit board off to resolder underneath. I assume there are more solder points other then the ones you can see in the shot below.
I think it is glued into the housing.
Anyway so Plan B was to just throw a different used one in. That lasted for about a month before the locks screwed up again.
Threw another used spare in and thinking I have not had a problem in 10 months.
I would have no problem paying for a new one but can't be 100% sure that is the issue.
And using used parts does not help cause when they do stop working is it really the switch or an whole other issue.

And what is obsolete? The switch?
56009451AC

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrys.../dp/B00FSBZS0I
Attached Images

post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, Ralph, MOPAR said it was unavailable. But Amazon has it? Go figure. So I can see on your great pic that there appears to be two relays on the circuit board, yes? That is what I was asking. If anyone tried to fix those. I mean you can hear them trying to work yet not succeeding. When you say you could not get underneath how bad was it? Is it glued? Plastic welded? If I can get a spare I will experiment with it.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I found this write-up. He mentioned something I forgot. Moisture can affect things. The doors are weird in that they expect water to drain down the glass and down the door. The water shields are there to direct water away from the door panels and electrical stuff. He advised using a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent problems . That makes sense and I wonder if corrosion is making for bad contact. Also this guy. Ever hear of him? https://www.switchdoctor.net/jeep-ch...tch-1997-2001/ The price is right. https://www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-Jeep-Cherokee-Power-Window-and-Door-Lock-Switch-Replacement?r=1

post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 PM
car6car

I took apart and cleaned probably 100 door switches. Contacts are dirty.

04 Grand (dead)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car6car View Post
Contacts are dirty.
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 01:13 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, Ralph, MOPAR said it was unavailable. But Amazon has it? Go figure. So I can see on your great pic that there appears to be two relays on the circuit board, yes? That is what I was asking. If anyone tried to fix those. I mean you can hear them trying to work yet not succeeding. When you say you could not get underneath how bad was it? Is it glued? Plastic welded? If I can get a spare I will experiment with it.
Mopar switches appear to be everywhere. Here is another.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...kee-56009451ac

I don't know how it is attached. My thinking was is that if I tried to pry the circuit board off the housing I would have just busted it up so I bailed on it.
I do have so many extra parts that it would not really hurt to destroy one. Maybe later today I will give it a shot.
Will post pictures if I do.

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!!
And as you can see by the can of CRC Electronic Cleaner I did spray them down best I could but it did not help with the first replacement I installed that crapped out. I can't really see a way to get at anything to clean it up with some emery cloth though.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You are right- MOPAR switches are all over. It is only MOPAR that can't or won't carry them. Odd. I have opened relays before and it is usually a press fit or a bit of plastic weld holding the plastic top on.. Inside is a contact similar to the old ignition points. I slip of sandpaper or emery run between does the trick. Of course the best way is to get at the soldered side. I informed my son-in-law there is an XJ being parted out in his neighborhood so I hope he can grab the switches for us. Once I have spares I will try and fix the bad one. On my own 2000 the safety switch that prevents kids from opening the windows/doors went bad. That prevented them all from working. I used the FSM wiring diagrams to re-wire a bypass around it and now they work fine.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 AM
TheBoogieman
Coronavirus survivor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Did any of them work afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2020, 11:23 AM
car6car

recently I had to repair a few wires between door and door jam, very common problem.

04 Grand (dead)
post #11 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I tried today to separate the circuit board from the housing. I though maybe the pins are a pressed fit through the bottom where the connectors in the door attach.
Tying to push them out just resulted in me bending pins.
I pried at at for awhile again to no avail.
The I figured screw it and hit it with my heat gun. Stopped just as the plastic housing was starting to misform from the heat and tried to pry the circuit board out.
No joy.
So if they can be separated I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It may be "potted" where they pour epoxy into the housing and then insert the circuit board. Did you try removing the little black housing on the relay itself? I've had them come apart in my hand just trying to remove them from the fuse box.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It may be "potted" where they pour epoxy into the housing and then insert the circuit board. Did you try removing the little black housing on the relay itself? I've had them come apart in my hand just trying to remove them from the fuse box.
No I did not. Will try and get back to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in