2001 XJ AC Clutch replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2020, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
juan304

2001 XJ AC Clutch replacement

I've a 2001 XJ, 193,000 miles. The dealer replaced the AC in 2005 from the original clutch compressor assembly to a Sanden 4886.
AC holds pressure and no noise from compressor bearings. Clutch runs and stops, sometimes stays on, then never comes on. Yes its old, but replace will be expensive. I want to try a clutch first. Suggestions where to get the AC compressor clutch for the Sanden 4886?

Its a good buddy and lots of fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2020, 01:27 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you sure its a AC clutch problem?

Might want to do some checking.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
juan304

I'm almost certain that is the problem. Looking at Jeeps of this age the AC clutches are usually shot and spaced too far. I can remove it, clean the clutch, reattach, and check spacing (0.015-0.035"). That might be easiest to start with. Even so, its not good to run a "burnt" clutch. Is there an AC clutch assembly that will fit the SANDEN 4886?

post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2020, 06:04 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

www.rockauto.com always has what I need.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
juan304

To check clutch: I loosened the belt, air hosed the clutch, sprayed brake cleaner, air hosed again, checked bearing (which seems ok), measured spacing (0.028 which is close to outer spec),cleaner once again, air hosed, reattached belt, and now seems ok. If this acts up again I'll take clutch and coil off, clean clutch to coil with wire brush, replace bearing, reset spacing to better clearance and then see what happens.

Still, where to get a SANDEN 4886 AC clutch. I'll look again at RockAuto. They are a good source of JEEP parts.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
juan304

Ran Jeepie around and did well for about 30 mins, then kicked off....poo. Turned AC off for about 5 mins and AC came back on. Then about 30 mins off, no big deal... but dang it.

It does cycle. Nonetheless, I should take clutch plate off, wire brush it and coil plate, reduce space by about 0.010" and see what happens.

To me this is somewhat like owning a standard; your clutch goes out and dealer says you need a new clutch and transmission.

TY each one of you.
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in