2000 XJ chip key issues - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtec

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
camorris1
1985 CJ7 

Question 2000 XJ chip key issues

I hope someone can help me, the dealerships I've called surely can't. I recently purchased a 2000 XJ, 4.0L, auto and NP242 select trac for my son. The issue is it only came with one key. I called several dealerships and the local one uses a local locksmith for chip style keys. I went to the locksmith who cut a key but when they tried to program it said that their two machines could not communicate with the vehicle computer so it must be bad. Trying to verify/narrow the possibilities, I called the dealership service center who only wanted to sell me a key, etc. Has anyone had or seen this? What's my next step? The XJ runs great, no other issues. I just want to get a spare key before my "teenager" loses the only one. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the chip-in key SKIM anti-theft a valuable feature you want to keep, and how much do you want to spend for special keys and key programming and possibly a new PCM with Dealership PCM programming ? It is unlikely that the PCM is faulty if the SKIM system functions, and the Jeep runs.

The SKIM anti-theft system is somewhat prone to failure which requires a refurbished or new replacement PCM, and Dealership PCM programming.

I would buy a good used PCM and delete the SKIM anti-theft system. Then you can use normal keys. This is the lowest cost solution even if you install an aftermarket alarm system.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
camorris1
1985 CJ7 

"I would buy a good used PCM and delete the SKIM anti-theft system."

How would one delete the SKIM system? Is that something I can do? Can I delete the SKIM from my current PCM?

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

You might be able to take the SKIM key & tape / glue it to the inside of the steering column, as close to the ignition lock cylinder as possible. Then you should be able to start the Jeep with a non-SKIM key.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 04:30 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

To delete the SKIM anti-theft system you need a good either used or refurbished PCM that does not have the optional SKIM functions enabled. You then unplug and remove the chip in key reader device, install your "new" PCM and the job is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
…. take the SKIM key & tape / glue it to the inside of the steering column, as close to the ignition lock cylinder as possible. Then you should be able to start the Jeep with a non-SKIM key.

This will work, but gives me two worries. The SKIM system is still, in my opinion, susceptible to failure that might leave you stranded, and secondly should a thief be trying to steal the Jeep, they will likely find the key and drive off.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Camaro45th

So....I have a question. I too have recently purchased a 2000 XJ Auto. Came with one key and one remote.

I went to HD and just made a copy of the key for like $5 and it works fine. I don’t have a chip in my key. Are you sure yours does?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 06:34 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Before reinventing the wheel -
WHY can the system not communicate?

Could there be a simple issue at DLC?
When starting the jeep - does the CEL come on @ 3seconds every start?
Confirm 12v at cavity 16 of DLC (common issue) ?

PS - SKIM was a factory OPTION in 2000
Camaro45th likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 01:02 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
To delete the SKIM anti-theft system you need a good either used or refurbished PCM that does not have the optional SKIM functions enabled. You then unplug and remove the chip in key reader device, install your "new" PCM and the job is done.
This will work, but gives me two worries. The SKIM system is still, in my opinion, susceptible to failure that might leave you stranded, and secondly should a thief be trying to steal the Jeep, they will likely find the key and drive off.
CJ7-Tim is correct, they would be able to drive off with the Jeep, if the key was found. So, you could always cut the head off the key & glue the Gray plastic key head as close to the ignition lock cylinder as possible. Just open up the plastic steering surround & glue it in place.

I'd guess the cost of a PCM (Power Control Module / Computer) can be had for less than $100.00, even cheaper if you can go to a U-pull salvage yard. If you are worried about the SKIM system failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
So....I have a question. I too have recently purchased a 2000 XJ Auto. Came with one key and one remote.

I went to HD and just made a copy of the key for like $5 and it works fine. I don’t have a chip in my key. Are you sure yours does?
What color was your key head, that was then copied at HD? Gray or Black?

The plastic gray key head has SKIM.
The plastic black key head does not have SKIM.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 08:33 AM
Camaro45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
CJ7-Tim is correct, they would be able to drive off with the Jeep, if the key was found. So, you could always cut the head off the key & glue the Gray plastic key head as close to the ignition lock cylinder as possible. Just open up the plastic steering surround & glue it in place.

I'd guess the cost of a PCM (Power Control Module / Computer) can be had for less than $100.00, even cheaper if you can go to a U-pull salvage yard. If you are worried about the SKIM system failing.

What color was your key head, that was then copied at HD? Gray or Black?

The plastic gray key head has SKIM.

The plastic black key head does not have SKIM.

Black. But good to know. I know I have seen those Gray keys in the wild on a few vehicles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in