2000 Cherokee Engine Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
countrygirl97
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj 2000 Cherokee Engine Problems

I just recently picked up a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 for free. However, there are issues with the engine. It starts up fine, but after only a few minutes the engine starts to overheat. The guy who owned it before me just recently took it on a trip from NJ to Maine and told me he had to make frequent stops on the way there to keep adding coolant. Since then its gotten worse and I can barely make it down the driveway without overheating. I believe there may be a cracked head, but I am not positive. Any idea what could be the cause of this, and how I could fix it? Or would I be better off just getting a new remanufactured engine? Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-04-2015, 03:38 PM
bandrew
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 2000 is one of the years that had the head cracking issue. If you're decent at working on vehicles I would get a good head and replace yours. Depending on the overall condition and mileage on the engine is what I'd go off of to decide on replacing the whole engine or not, overheating a whole lot definitely isn't easy on it but the 4.0 is a really strong and long lasting engine.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-04-2015, 04:07 PM
SouthSeaPirate
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You have a 0331 head known for cracking at a weak point when over heated. May not have been your original source, but probably is now. There are a few writeups on diagnosis and head replacement. GL! I fear I'm right behind you

post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Ferryman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You picked it up for free so a little investment in the coolingsystem won't harm.
Buy a Tupy head for your engine (improved design of the 0331 head of the 2000-2001 4ltr engine) and renew every item regarding cooling and you will be fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
You picked it up for free so a little investment in the coolingsystem won't harm.
Buy a Tupy head for your engine (improved design of the 0331 head of the 2000-2001 4ltr engine) and renew every item regarding cooling and you will be fine.
X2. Anything but a 00-01 I'd say just refresh the cooling but that 0331 WILL crack when abused and repeatedly overheated. Replace it all and you'll still be less into the jeep than most of us are.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
FairlanePhil

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Stop driving it. Maybe you can save the bottom end.

My wife's Jeep would lose coolant but never overheat. It started getting the sludge on the oilcap.
I started pricing heads and then one day she came home and the Jeep smelled like burning steel and was puking coolant.

It still ran and drove after that, no knocks or any visible water in the oil but it would instantly overheat just running in the driveway.
I parted it out because the roof leaked and I had no clue how to fix the area around the windshield.
When I drained the engine I had no water in the oil but there was some fine metallic looking debris.
I'm pretty sure the bottom end is shot too from driving it hot with water traces in the crank case

Current: 99XJ 6.5 lift-Bought 2015
Sold: Patriot Blue 00 XJ.
'sploded: 01 stock-0331 head victim
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 AM
demonz0
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you keep driving it with the crack it leaks the coolant into the valve cover and mixes in with the oil which in turn eats the rod bearings. IF it is too far gone you can replace the cylinder head but your bottom end will eventually go. Mine had the crack and then i blew the head gasket so i just dropped another motor in it.

99 Cherokee 4.0L | 4.5in Lift | 33x12.5
94 YJ 4.0L | 4in RC Lift | 33x12.5

Tags
4.0 liter , cracked , engine , head , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in