1999 Classic with Driver Door Control issues - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-23-2020, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Treelandl48

1989 XJ Cherokee 

1999 Classic with Driver Door Control issues

I'm having similar issues that are driving me nuts. I'm getting power to the tan wire in the door controller, but NOTHING works in the drivers doors or any other three. No windows, locks, nothing. I bought another window controller unit and same issue. Still power to the tan wire (main hot coming in) but no control over any thing else. Any ideas? I realize that the wires through the boot may be broken, but why won't the drivers door window or mirror work? Again, I'm getting 12 volts to the unit. Brand new unit, second time.
EDIT-The door locks work through the passenger door lock switch.

Last edited by Treelandl48; 05-25-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: The Door locks work through the passenger door switch only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelandl48 View Post
....... the wires through the boot may be broken .......
Start diagnostics there.

If all the wires in the driver door wire harness test as good with your volts/ohms multi-meter and your visual inspection of each wire finds no defects, you might suspect the passenger door control module is faulty. If you need any wire circuit or wire color/wire plug identification you should have a genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 12 Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 PM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Tan wire supplies power to the LED's only. There are 2 feeds for the power, both are yellow wires. C309-6 provides power to the passenger door window and lock. C304-6 provides power to the windows. There is a splice S305 that bridges both of these. AAR you are looking for a 14 ga yellow wire. This is on page 838 or the Pacific Coast manual. I have a small keyboard and can't do a screen shot. If you're stuck, I'll dig out a full sized KB and give it a shot.
The Pacific Coast manual is downloadable .pdf., very good and less than 10 bucks

post #4 of 12 Old 05-23-2020, 06:08 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i find haynes books easier to trace wire problems. fix all of mine,xj and wj...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #5 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 09:45 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I find starting campfires easier with Haynes and Chilton's.

Genuine Jeep Service Manuals have all the information and diagrams necessary to identify, locate, test, diagnose, remove, replace, repair, and adjust everything on the Jeep. Haynes and Chilton's may have some condensed info that may be generically correct, (or not), and may have a fuzzy diagram that might or might not be correct.

I also change spark plugs even when they don't need it.
jtec likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 10:32 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Treelandl48 do you need a wiring diagram ?

I see conflicting info is this a 1989 or a 1999 XJ ? Hopefully a 1999.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 11:25 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I find starting campfires easier with Haynes and Chilton's.

Genuine Jeep Service Manuals have all the information and diagrams necessary to identify, locate, test, diagnose, remove, replace, repair, and adjust everything on the Jeep. Haynes and Chilton's may have some condensed info that may be generically correct, (or not), and may have a fuzzy diagram that might or might not be correct.

I also change spark plugs even when they don't need it.

if its running, plugs are good...

after plowing thru endless pages in fsm i find every wire problem in my 4 jeeps with haynes,..why do you hot shots bum rap a perfectly accurate ez source of info???
i tried both and find haynes perfect for wire trouble, colors have never been wrong g for me...
i have fixed wires in all 4 jeeps and have no more problems other than the mystery window opening that we all have ,
AND you hot shots insisted door lock trouble was computer connected till i proved you wrong.
fsm is fine if you have time. haynes gets the job done...
and 95% of wire problems are door wires and loose batt connections

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #8 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 11:56 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know who is being a hot shot, I just tell people what I have found to be true. Let's just agree that the genuine Jeep FSM is 99.9 % correct, instead of 85% correct, fully and completly detailed, instead of condensed, generic, and sometimes just wrong, and they are less expensive. I have bought several 4x4's that came with a Haynes or Chilton's and I have been disappointed by them every time.

Drivers door wiring isn't complicated, most of the problems are due to broken wires, and most of the rest of the problems are due to failed switch assemblies.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

haynes wire info is perfect for 99% of jeep wire problems. dont mislead people into needing to waste time plowing thru the fsm....sure its right, so what.
i have both. so far i fix all jeeps with haynes, its faster

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #10 of 12 Old 05-24-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Treelandl48

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have the FSM wirng diagram

And the only power into the door controller is the tan wire from F81. The yellow wires come from the unlock side of the lock momentary switch. There should be 12 volts on it, but it will have continuity from tan when unlocked.

I may have that wrong, let me know, thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
rotorgoat
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While on the topic of door locks, mine quit except the hatch a couple of years ago. They just started not working one at a time. It's not a big issue for me since I don't have a problem locking the doors manually however now the car seems to be possessed and the door lock motors start running without any input even when the ignition is off. Usually a combination of playing with the window controls and door lock control will stop it. My concern is that it's going to run my battery dead if I'm not around to stop it. Is there an easy way to deactivate the power to the system. I have to agree with CJ7-Tim, my Haynes shows two different schematics for the later model (mine is a '99) door locks and neither is very helpful.
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorgoat View Post
..... the car seems to be possessed and the door lock motors start running without any input even when the ignition is off.
Classic symptoms for a short circuit or broken wires. You could cut and isolate the lock wires that have voltage on the inside of the Cherokee, but since the problem is likely a broken wire, you could stop the Amityville locks by fixing the wires also.

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in