1997 cherokee sport keyless entry transmitter - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-08-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Xj 1997 cherokee sport keyless entry transmitter

I searched the XJ forums and was unable to find what I was looking for.

My question is, where can I find the keyless entry transmitter on a 1997 Cherokee Sport?
I've seen some videos on different year Cherokees, but I'm not sure if I have one although the owners manual I have says I should be able to use keyless entry.
I'm trying to buy a keyless entry fob and program it but there's not point in buying one if I don't have a transmitter.
I'm new to this forum, Jeeps, and cars in general so please bear with me.
Thank you.

- Dangerous Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-08-2019, 07:09 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

? dont know if you have the "receiver" but buying the "transmitter" ,fob and having it programmed will cost more than a diy remote system. i installed mine for ? 17 bucks.
its 4 wires,ground,+12v,and the lock/unlock wires.
DangerousDave likes this.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #3 of 24 Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Camaro45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarquez56 View Post
I searched the XJ forums and was unable to find what I was looking for.

My question is, where can I find the keyless entry transmitter on a 1997 Cherokee Sport?
I've seen some videos on different year Cherokees, but I'm not sure if I have one although the owners manual I have says I should be able to use keyless entry.
I'm trying to buy a keyless entry fob and program it but there's not point in buying one if I don't have a transmitter.
I'm new to this forum, Jeeps, and cars in general so please bear with me.
Thank you.

So i recently bought my XJ and it only came with one remote. I was looking for another but among my search, I found something else that you might be able to use. They make an OBD keyless entry device that comes with a remote.

Dorman 13778 Keyless Entry Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CS3J3TU..._cttNDb6PD4Z82

There seems to be a few of them. I wish they made one for remote start.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 97-01 receiver module for the optional Key-Less Entry is in the forward dome lamp, or in the optional overhead console. The module is about 2" x 3". Used key fobs are very likely all worn out, you probably want to buy aftermarket replacements. As suggested already, it may be cheaper and easier to buy an aftermarket keyless entry system ( + remote start ? ) on Amazon or eBay and install that.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

@2oldjeeps

I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this so don't really know the terminology...

So transmitter is the key fob and receiver is on the car. Got it. Thanks.
I'm planning on doing it myself, with the help of a friend.

Last edited by DangerousDave; 10-09-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: specifying who I was messaging
post #6 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
So i recently bought my XJ and it only came with one remote. I was looking for another but among my search, I found something else that you might be able to use. They make an OBD keyless entry device that comes with a remote.

Dorman 13778 Keyless Entry Remote

There seems to be a few of them. I wish they made one for remote start.

Mine didn't come with any remote at all.
Thanks for the link I'll definitely look into it.
Appreciate it!
Camaro45th likes this.

- Dangerous Dave
post #7 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Camaro45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarquez56 View Post
Mine didn't come with any remote at all.
Thanks for the link I'll definitely look into it.
Appreciate it!

Not a problem. If you happen to pick it up, please let me know how it works. I was curious to see how the functionality is.

With all of these OBD devices, you would think they would allow for a pass through for another device to be connected through it. So if you have Bluetooth OBD scanner plugged in, it should have another port on the top to plug something else in on top.

I only make this point because I have one of those monitors for my insurance company. Every time I unplug it in a vehicle to say check an engine code, I usually forget it.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The 97-01 receiver module for the optional Key-Less Entry is in the dome lamp, or in the optional overhead console. The module is about 2" x 3". Used key fobs are very likely all worn out, you proabably want to buy aftermarket replacements. As suggested already it may be cheaper and easier to buy an aftermarket keyless entry system ( + remote start ? ) on Amazon or eBay and install that.

Thanks for the advice!
I'm going to look at aftermarket key fobs and go from there, but the issue I'm having is locating the receiver.
I've seen several videos on it and I don't think I have that overhead console.
I have two overhead lights. The first one is up above the back seat and the second one is in the back. I tried attaching pictures but I'm not allowed yet
Am I missing something or do I simply not have a receiver?

- Dangerous Dave
post #9 of 24 Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 97-01 receiver module for the optional Key-Less Entry is in the forward dome lamp.

Attached Thumbnails
keyless.jpg  

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Question

Quote:
The 97-01 receiver module for the optional Key-Less Entry is in the forward dome lamp.

I appreciate the picture!
But that's what I'm saying. I don't have that. Mine looks completely different.
I've attached the two I have. First one is in the middle and second one is in the back.
Attached Images

- Dangerous Dave
post #11 of 24 Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am going to suppose that your XJ does not have key-less entry. Is there or was there an "eyeball" looking thing between the sun visors ?

I am wondering if the build date is late 1996 for the upcoming 1997 model year. Those sure look like 1996 dome lamps. You can contact Chrysler/Jeep and get a build sheet with all the installed option listed.

Attached Images

post #12 of 24 Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

From left to right, on your VIN, what is the 10th digit of your VIN? This will indicate the production year. Your VIN should start out as 1J...............

Does your Jeep currently have power locks?

Feel free to attach a picture of your Jeep. A side shot from bumper to bumper will help us understand what year your Jeep is.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-12-2019, 04:15 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i dont matter if you have the factory receiver or not, you can just install a $17 new system with 2 fobs.

its a hundred dollars cheaper than getting new fobs pragrammed!!!

remember...
? dont know if you have the "receiver" but buying the "transmitter" ,fob and having it programmed will cost more than a diy remote system. i installed mine for ? 17 bucks.
its 4 wires,ground,+12v,and the lock/unlock wires.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #14 of 24 Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am going to suppose that your XJ does not have key-less entry. Is there or was there an "eyeball" looking thing between the sun visors ?

I am wondering if the build date is late 1996 for the upcoming 1997 model year. Those sure look like 1996 dome lamps. You can contact Chrysler/Jeep and get a build sheet with all the installed option listed.

No I've never seen the eyeball on my car.

Thanks for the advice. I will try and contact them and keep you posted!

- Dangerous Dave
post #15 of 24 Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
DangerousDave

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
From left to right, on your VIN, what is the 10th digit of your VIN? This will indicate the production year. Your VIN should start out as 1J...............

Does your Jeep currently have power locks?

Feel free to attach a picture of your Jeep. A side shot from bumper to bumper will help us understand what year your Jeep is.

The 10th digit is a V.
And yes it does have power locks.
Attached Thumbnails
20191015_110304.jpg  
Attached Images

- Dangerous Dave

Tags
1997 , cherokee sport , keyless entry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in