1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport ASD Sputtering while accelerating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
RyGuy9795

Xj 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport ASD Sputtering while accelerating

Ok this is gonna be a detailed story so here it goes.

So ive been having this problem with my cherokee for a while where if i press the gas that it would lose power (sputter,stall) while driving. Where sometimes it has died on me but starts right back up and it would be fine for a couple of mins.

Took it to a mechanic to have it looked out and he said my Fuel Pressure was really high and that he wanted to change my Bosch fuel pump (that i had just put in 4 months prior) to a Carter. I told him it was the regulator and he said its in the Pump Itself not on the assembly. Low and behold i went home and took the pump out and for sure the regulator was part of the assembly.

Now normally Chrysler says that this part is non serviceable by itself, However i have seen some people take the plastic casing off the assembly enclosing the regulator and replace it thus what i did.

So figured the job was done no more sputter after that right? Wish it was that easy.
It died on me while driving it again and it started right back up and it was fine.
Got it home and cycled the key 4 times and left it on to read any possible codes and i kept getting code 42 which is the ASD(Auto Shutdown Relay)

So now ive taken to the forum for possible insight as to what my problem could be and maybe you guys can help me get a gameplan together.

Tags
asd , fuel , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in