1995 xj cherokee rear diff noise. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
daximus27

1995 xj cherokee rear diff noise.

Hi everyone this is my first post and new here. i own a 1995 xj jeep cherokee here i Australia i bought the car around 2 weeks ago and have notice that there is a common whining noise in the rear diff is louder at 50km/h which is around 30mp/h. but the faster the car goes the whine reduces at 90km/h and over the noise is gone. have change diff fluids and have checked all gears when i removed the dana 35 cover and found no signs of damage or metal shavings. also theres no wheel play and all the u joints seem good with no play. i ve heard that this are common to be noisy and as long as i maintain the oils they go for ever. Forgot to mention my is a lsd as well as the tag says use lsd lube which i have. other than that car drives fine. the reason i notice the car making noise is that around my town all speeds are set to 50km/h 30mp/h and thats when i notice the sound but when i go on the high way 70km/h to 100km/h 43mp/h to 62mp/h the diff noise is reduce and is barley noticeable. no shakes or nothing.

Any input would be great and Thank You heaps for your time taking in reading this much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 AM
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

How's the pinion bearing play? Grab the yoke on front of diff and see if it has any up and down movement. A little is expected but a lot means the pinion bearing is bad
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with 1stockjeep. If everything inside the diff looks fine then you probably have a bearing going bad.

My XJ thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/im-back-xj-2628914

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you use a synthetic oil? Mine made the same noise you describe when I got it. all fluids were changed when I made my purchase by the PO, had receipts for all the maint with the truck, they used synthetic oiol. I hated the noise, so I switched to regular petro based oil, the noise is gone.

Volunteer, American Society of Military History. http://tankland.com/
Just got a 1989 YJ too!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
daximus27

Hi i used normal diff oil not synthetic, and no play in yoke it has a small play when you turn it either side like it so pose to but not up and down cheers
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 PM
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If the noise you're experiencing isn't constant but mainly increases due to acceleration I can almost assure you it's your rear 'wheel bearings'. I had lots of noise coming from the front and rear of my 01 XJ and was very used to it. I then replaced my front hub assemblies (wheel hubs) and my rear bearings and seals and after driving I was amazed how much quieter the jeep drove. I didn't notice any increase in 'drive ability', the only thing I noticed was less noise. If you're on a budget and if the noise isn't constant and or worrying you too much then don't change it. Follow this very useful motto 'if it aint' broke don't fix it'.

Enjoy.

Tags
dana 35 , differential , whining noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in