1992 Jeep XJ ignition problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Jachughesa
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Xj 1992 Jeep XJ ignition problems

Hey, I'm kind of a noob to jeeps, so here it goes... I was driving home from school, and my little brother decided it would be cool to turn my car off whilst i was driving. So I'm stuck on the side of the road (not too far from my house luckily) and i try to start my car again, but it wouldn't, so i pushed my car into the driveway and started to figure out what was wrong. I eventually figured out my ignition cylinder was busted-from me trying to get my car started-so i took my steering wheel apart and replaced that and it still had trouble starting, so i took my steering wheel apart even more and found out some gear was missing a few teeth, so i ordered a kit, which came with some bearings for the steering column, an extra gear thingie (circled in blue), and the thing the gear goes into (circled in red). I figured that the problem might be with those two parts, I couldn't figure out how to remove the item circled in red, because the previous owner must've stripped the pivot pin. So if anyone has any ideas on how to replace it or tighten it so that it won't slip when i try to start my jeep, that would be great. Thank you

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM
bryanintowson
1994 ZJ 

Best of luck to you.

1994 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2
1992 Cherokee Laredo - SOLD
2002 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Jachughesa
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Exclamation Update.

I went to my auto parts store and i bought a new ignition switch, now i don't have the problem of it being hard to get to start the car, but now, my jeep will start cranking and it won't turn over. I don't know what to do, the new ignition switch looked exactly like the old one, what could be the problem. Please help.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Jachughesa
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thumbs up Final Update (I Hope)

I went around and started wiggling some of the electrical connections and making sure they were all making contact, and sure enough one of them wasnt connected, so i fixed that and now my car will crank for 4-5 seconds and then start
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2016, 07:38 PM
ou2mame

That's a long time to crank. I'm replacing my injectors because mine cranks like that sometimes.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Jachughesa
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it is awfully long, but i found a "sweet position" for the key i guess, where it would only take 2ish seconds to crank. Now I still have an obnoxious clanking noise coming from who knows where... next project AWAY

Tags
cherokee won't start , ignition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in