1990 XJ Electrical Gremlins-No dash lights, no tail lights - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-08-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
lrsmithwhaley
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Exclamation 1990 XJ Electrical Gremlins-No dash lights, no tail lights

Not sure if it's related, but I have no tail lights and no dash lights. I keep blowing Fuse 7 which according to the following diagram is Parking Lights, Headlight Warning Chime/Buzzer, Instrument Panel Light Dimmer. I've checked the rear lights and can't find any issues. I unplugged the trailer wiring harness thinking that was the issue and still blew a fuse. I unplugged the clock (dash lights started having issues when the push buttons got stuck) and that didn't fix it. Not sure where, or what to start messing with now.

http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=105

Green with Silver trim 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (DD and Off-roader)
March 2007 Stock Class XJ of the Month
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Install a new radio lately?

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Be specific, what exactly did you do when checking the rear lights ?

As already suggested, what are the most recent medications/additions/repairs to the circuits involved ?

If you are blowing fuses, there is fault, failure, or short circuit to be located and repaired.

You should be physically/visually inspecting and multi-meter testing continuity in all the related/fused:
  • light sockets
  • grounds
  • wire harnesses
  • switches and dimmers

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
lrsmithwhaley
1990 XJ Cherokee 

It's an aftermarket radio that the PO installed. It's been in for a good year now without issue. Nothing new recently. I started having electrical issues around the time I went to adjust the built in clock and the little buttons got stuck (clock displayed 8888). I did some trouble shooting and it blows a fuse as soon as I pull the switch to turn on the lights. Until that point the door buzzer works and dash lights work. The headlights stay on, but the rest of the fused items (buzzer, dash lights, tail lights) stop working. I removed the clock and still blew fuses. I had someone else check the wiring with a multi-meter at the plugs and they said it was good. It's possible they didn't know what they were doing though. The ground is good and I've removed the trailer harness to make sure that wasn't causing an issue. The only things I haven't taken apart and checked are the pull out light switch and the buzzer as I'm getting mixed answers on where the buzzer is for this year.

Green with Silver trim 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (DD and Off-roader)
March 2007 Stock Class XJ of the Month
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Gremmy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had this similar issue no tail lights, head lights, dash lights, so replaced the headlight pull out it as it was smoking so easy decision.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Take the taillight bulbs out and inspect them and the sockets.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 PM
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue going on and it came back to two blue wires and a black wire in the rear hatch were connected together when I put in aftermarket speakers ..the double blue wires have a female plug and they sit right next to a black wire with a male plug and I must've thought those go together so I plugged them in... well that's when I started blowing fuses...I did a google search and someone suggested to check those and EDIT....it did not fix my issue...looking for the same fix as OP...Help?????
Attached Thumbnails
speaker wire fix.jpg  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 09:28 PM
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

bump
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 PM
CodemanLivs
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Use a volt meter set for continuity. Put one lead on the blue wire and one on the black wire if reads a connection then those wires melted together somewhere down the line. Find it separate them repair the damage and try again. Same goes for the OP. You have a short somewhere. Unplug your headlight switch. One test lead to a good known ground and with the other lead start probing each terminal on plug you took off the switch. Only the ground wire should read continuity. If any other wire does then follow that wire to the melted spot.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker88jeep View Post
bump

You should be physically/visually inspecting and volts ohms multi-meter testing continuity in all the related/fused circuits:
  • light sockets
  • grounds
  • wire harnesses
  • switches and dimmers

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Sam-daily

Heres a link to the FSM. Also, alot of things run through the rear window defroster that have no buisness doing so.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html
post #12 of 12 Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 AM
Swampdweller-nz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I had a similar issue recently and had no tail-lights and no dash lights. Only discovered the fault when plugging in a trailer connection, and testing the trailer lights. Replaced fuse and it blew immediately the tail-light circuit was turned on.

Continued to blow fuses with the trailer disconnected so I went through all my wiring at the rear of the vehicle. Did all the standard checks - bulbs, fittings, wiring - and nothing seemed to have any obvious faults.

Finally got to the front of the vehicle and noticed that the left front park-light bulb had blown. Replaced the bulb, and it still shorted. On closer inspection of the bulb-holder I noticed that there was a small piece of bare wire where the cable had chafed though on the headlight bucket. Repaired the wiring, and end of problem.

Do the simple checks first! And just remember that your front park-lights are also part of your tail-light circuit, so don't forget to look there as well - it might be as easy as my fix.

Every day is a good day, but some are better than others

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in