1989 Jeep Cherokee 4 litre items found under rear bench seat identified please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Gremmy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

1989 Jeep Cherokee 4 litre items found under rear bench seat identified please

Hi, does anyone have a list of items that is kept below the rear bench seat of the 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4 litre. Jack (Jack type and function and color), tow bar (is there a kit included to fit tow ball also?), not sure what else should be in there.
Or a photo of complete items in situ they could upload?
This is a tech question as I seem to have a miscellaneous collection, one item might be a side kit for a side of vehicle jacking point and I don't think the Cherokee jacks at the side?
Where do you jack the Cherokee and what should the correct factory tools look like and be, also the tow bar ball and fitting.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Nothing but a screw jack, lug wrench and jack handle is stock.

And maybe a sticker with a diagram?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Gremmy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Nothing but a screw jack, lug wrench and jack handle is stock.

And maybe a sticker with a diagram?
Thanks, I wondered if the tow bar was stowed there too along with fixing, no idea what fixing looks like or how the tow bar fits. I am thinking of doing some towing.
Years a go, must be 2008, I went to a dealership that boasted they had an old parts XJ out back. When I collected my '89 Cherokee from brake disc inspection the space saver spare and wheel cover were missing. I asked where they had gone to. 'Oh we have stored it for you', the guy at the desk said. So he walked me to a shipping container stuffed with Jeep parts they said was just storage.
I thought that's weird but did not look below the bench seat until a few days ago, only to discovery my still plastic wrapped mint tow bar had been replaced with a rusty old junk one.
Is it to late to chuck it back at them?

post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What Cruiser said. The stock jack points are under the axle tubes, out close to the outside end of the tube. It could very well be long gone, but there should be a sticker under there that shows the jack points, jack operation, etc. The stock jack is normally black, and looks kind of like a hydraulic bottle jack, but is totally mechanical. There should be a "socket" on one side close to the bottom that lets the jack up/down as it is turned. The jack handle should be a long metal rod, with a crank on one end, a flat piece on the other end to fit into the "socket" on the jack, and a hinge in the middle so that it can fold up for storage. I'm not sure about the '89, but my '94 has a lug wrench that has a socket for the lugs that folds back into the handle of the wrench for storage. I'm not sure if its the stock wrench or not.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Gremmy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4SQB View Post
What Cruiser said. The stock jack points are under the axle tubes, out close to the outside end of the tube. It could very well be long gone, but there should be a sticker under there that shows the jack points, jack operation, etc. The stock jack is normally black, and looks kind of like a hydraulic bottle jack, but is totally mechanical. There should be a "socket" on one side close to the bottom that lets the jack up/down as it is turned. The jack handle should be a long metal rod, with a crank on one end, a flat piece on the other end to fit into the "socket" on the jack, and a hinge in the middle so that it can fold up for storage. I'm not sure about the '89, but my '94 has a lug wrench that has a socket for the lugs that folds back into the handle of the wrench for storage. I'm not sure if its the stock wrench or not.
Thanks guys. Appears I could have the original jack complete as described above, thanks for your excellent detail provided. Winds down to 7" and not too heavy, Can patent, that I believe could be Canada? Also the wrench, pressed steel item that has a hinged lug remover. Has a 1/2" hole mid way, don't know what the mid way hole is for, any idea?

The rusty old tow bar says; DRAW - TITE? 3500. Is that original? Anyone has the part number for that as need a replacement tow bar and fitting kit.
There is also an alloy metal item with a post and a couple of counter sunk holes, not sure what that is or for? And I got a VW wrench.

Unfortunately no stickers.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

A picture of what you have would be helpful, but I believe the midpoint hole in your lug wrench allows it to be used as a turning handle for the jack.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in