0331 head with Stock Radiator - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
0331 head with Stock Radiator

I am planning to drive to AZ this year to visit with friends for a while. I may also tow a smaller enclosed trailer on the trip. (I have, but haven't installed yet, the B&M transmission fluid cooler)

Will the Stock Radiator in this 2000 XJ 4x4 keep the engine cool enough so as not to have that 0331 head crack?

Thank You,
Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Generally speaking the stock Mopar radiator is the preferred one for the XJ. So I'd say, yes it should be OK.

That being said, you may want to do a flush and refill with new coolant if you have not done so in a while. Also, def use a trans cooler if you're going to be towing.
riderboy1961 likes this.
post #3 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 01:46 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
I am planning to drive to AZ this year to visit with friends for a while. I may also tow a smaller enclosed trailer on the trip. (I have, but haven't installed yet, the B&M transmission fluid cooler)

Will the Stock Radiator in this 2000 XJ 4x4 keep the engine cool enough so as not to have that 0331 head crack?
How big is this enclosed trailer?
How much weight are you talking?
How do you plan on driving with the trailer? With the Jeep in Overdrive or lock it in 3rd gear to keep it out of OD?

Are you going to install a transmission temperature gauge in the XJ (see my build link)?

Below is a little off subject....
Definitely flush the cooling system, maybe even add some water wetter to the system. Make sure the cooling fans are operational. Don't forget to make sure your brakes are in tip top shape & the rear brakes properly adjusted. Make sure you have the correct tow hitch (weight class) for the trailer you are pulling. Is maintenance up to date on the trailer wheel bearings?

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
How big is this enclosed trailer?
How much weight are you talking?
How do you plan on driving with the trailer? With the Jeep in Overdrive or lock it in 3rd gear to keep it out of OD?

Are you going to install a transmission temperature gauge in the XJ (see my build link)?

Below is a little off subject....
Definitely flush the cooling system, maybe even add some water wetter to the system. Make sure the cooling fans are operational. Don't forget to make sure your brakes are in tip top shape & the rear brakes properly adjusted. Make sure you have the correct tow hitch (weight class) for the trailer you are pulling. Is maintenance up to date on the trailer wheel bearings?
Excellent Suggestions.

6x12 cargo trailer - no trailer brakes

I will drive in 3rd gear - when on a long stretch of flat roads and no headwinds then I'll try 4th gear/overdrive.

probably #2,000 of trailer weight including the weight of the trailer empty

I would not be driving over 60mph while towing either.

Thank You,
Bo
post #5 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
its getting warm here in AZ. should be only< 113 by end of next week, soon to be 115-120+. I would say the main issue will be towing in the heat. trans must stay cool. heck my old fords can tow here in the heat AC on with 10k load. at 75mph. jeeps just dont tow well so better upgrade that trans cooing system. You cook it and you get toast. be sure the engine cooling is in top shape. AZ is like visiting hell in summer. Winter here is amazing for wheeling. Summer im off to the Sierra's in about a week.
riderboy1961 and Fourspeedman like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 11:27 AM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Big question is whether your XJ has the factory towing package. It is my understanding that the stock radiator is a single row whereas the factory tow package upgrades the radiator to a two row. I strongly recommend the latter. Other parts to consider for replacement are the fan clutch, rubber hoses & water pump. Here in AZ it gets hot, for example the high temperatures by the end of this week will be 100-107 degrees. June is almost here. Northern AZ, in the Flagstaff & the Prescott area, do not get as hot as Tucson & southern environs.
When my XJ arrived home a couple of years ago with 87K miles on it, I started at the front bumper & went to the rear bumper & replaced all of the fluids. The cooling system was upgraded with a 2 row radiator, a Flowkooler pump & a Tru-Cool transmission cooler. A gauge & thermal bypass are optional. https://trucool.com/ All of the hoses were replaced. Engine oil is critical too. I run the Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage with Liquid Moly additive. With all of this, my temp. gauge will run one bar above centre when on the interstate but it is very consistent. It cools quickly to the centre bar afterward. Another contributing factor could be that I do not have the under side splash guard installed. Furthermore, this gauge reading might be caused by the thickness of the stack that air has to flow through to reach the radiator & the size of the cooler I selected.
If you want tips on how to install the cooler without cutting lines & have a safer connection with rubber hoses, contact me here through the board. Road Trip!
post #7 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yes, my XJ did NOT come with the factory tow package.

1 core radiator without tow package vs 2 core radiator for tow package, if that is correct, that is quite a bit of difference in cooling, I would think.

I probably ought to look in the local wrecking yards for an xj that has the Factory Transmission Cooler attached and get That Radiator for my rig.

Thank You,
Bo
post #8 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, my XJ did NOT come with the factory tow package.

1 core radiator without tow package vs 2 core radiator for tow package, if that is correct, that is quite a bit of difference in cooling, I would think.

I probably ought to look in the local wrecking yards for an xj that has the Factory Transmission Cooler attached and get That Radiator for my rig.
I grabbed a factory tranny cooler off a '99 that I hope to get put on one day. Was toying with the idea of grabbing the radiator too.
Actually looked pretty good. But then I figured it would need to be gone over. Got a place close by that handles stuff like that. Just
the putting in a used radiator seems a little iffy to me. Even if the radiator place gives it a clean bill of health. Couple that with the
fact that my Napa radiator seems to do just fine made it seem even a little more not worth the trouble. I feel if anything be better off
spending the money and buy a new one. But then again don't even know why I am putting in the tranny cooler. Not like tow or anything.
Maybe cause I can. LOL.
post #9 of 44 Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I grabbed a factory tranny cooler off a '99 that I hope to get put on one day. Was toying with the idea of grabbing the radiator too.
Actually looked pretty good. But then I figured it would need to be gone over. Got a place close by that handles stuff like that. Just
the putting in a used radiator seems a little iffy to me. Even if the radiator place gives it a clean bill of health. Couple that with the
fact that my Napa radiator seems to do just fine made it seem even a little more not worth the trouble. I feel if anything be better off
spending the money and buy a new one. But then again don't even know why I am putting in the tranny cooler. Not like tow or anything.
Maybe cause I can. LOL.

That new radiator you bought for your jeep... do you know if it is a 1 core or a 2 core radiator?

Thank You,
Bo
post #10 of 44 Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That new radiator you bought for your jeep... do you know if it is a 1 core or a 2 core radiator?
It doesn't say in the specs but I have to assume it is a single core.
I also have to assume that it is this one on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...+Jeep+Cherokee

In the Q&A somebody did say it is a single core.
See the thing was in the beginning the Jeep being a kinda of running not really driveable impulse purchase. I did not really know where the Jeep was at.
Being how I did not want to invest a lot the money not really knowing yet if I made a mistake in buying her or not I bought the cheap radiator.
Thinking I paid about $90 through my store. Amazon is $77. But mine comes with a lifetime warranty.
According to the reviews on Amazon it looks like that one only comes with a 2 year.
Even if it did not come with a lifetime warranty through Napa that does not apply to me. LOL.
Which is one of the reasons that I buy stuff like this through my store. The important stuff. Even when it cost more and most times it does.
If there is a problem it is not really a problem if you get my drift.
Now she is just a DD. I probably put 3K on her a year mostly short trips.
I don't tow. I am not out there rock crawling in 100 degree temps. I am very rarely ever stuck in traffic. I have made a few longer trips to buy stuff that I found on Craigslist.
320 mile round trip once to New Egypt NJ, a 180 mile round trip to West Nyack NY, and a 260 mile round trip to Falls River MA.
I have let the Jeep idle in the driveway for long periods of time to diagnose certain things. I want to say maybe as long as an hour and a half sometimes.
Never a problem. OK so I do have the '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 hood louvers cut into my hood. But I did that for a look and not cause I was having problems.
Now Jeep did make the more HD radiator that came with the towing package. And I can understand buying one. And I am not really thrilled with plastic on my radiator either.
Someday if I get bored, when there is nothing left to do to the Jeep (like that will ever happen), I might just make the switch myself.
riderboy1961 likes this.
post #11 of 44 Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The OE transmission cooler is what is known as a stack type of cooler. Better than none but the aftermarket offers better designs. Although I rarely tow except to bring home a yard of landscape rock from time to time & I never off-road, the cooler does provide additional fluid capacity which is a good thing. My comment about the importance of the splash guard which fits below the engine & above the steering linkage is that it possibly could help to make a low pressure area in the engine compartment which might help the flow of the air through the radiator & such. I always raise the hood when I return to the house. This time of year it requires gloves as the hood is hot! Got the ZJ louvers which will be installed one of these days along with a bunch of other upgrades.
post #12 of 44 Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Great information from everyone!!

Before I bought this Jeep I had Zero experience with them/Any Jeep. Had I known what I know now... I would have looked for an XJ with:

1) Factory Tow Kit
2) Factory Heavy Duty (2 core apparently) Radiator with the Factory ATF Cooler
3) HP Front Axle (D30)
4) Dana 44 Rear Axle (apparently Very Hard to find though as Factory)

Correct me if I am wrong but... an XJ with all 4 of those options (above) are Highly Desirable?

I'm thinking... instead of modifying this jeep for the purpose intended (light towing(( #2,000 - #2500)) but in 100 plus ambient temps, hunting, fishing, camping), I may just sell this one and find one with the 4 options I need and buy That One. (just thinking about it)

Thank You,
Bo
post #13 of 44 Old 05-26-2020, 12:22 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Before I bought this Jeep I had Zero experience with them/Any Jeep. Had I known what I know now... I would have looked for an XJ with:
1) Factory Tow Kit
3) HP Front Axle (D30)
Correct me if I am wrong but... an XJ with all 4 of those options (above) are Highly Desirable?
I am under the impression that you can duplicate a factory tow kit easy enough so that would not make or break a purchase.
I know nothing about towing but I would try with the regular radiator and a tranny cooler first before driving yourself nuts.

As Pima pointed out the factory tranny cooler probably leaves a little to be desired.

I am only doing it cause one it is factory, which is part of what I am trying to accomplish with my build, and because I am just hoping to help maintain the
life of the tranny.

There are a couple things that I am curious about though. With a factory set up the cooler in the radiator is still being used in addition to
the aux cooler. Some guys take it completely out of the equation when adding an aftermarket one.
So I wonder which way is better?

Also I wish I was paying more attention when I removed it from the donor Jeep. So the tranny line feeds into the bottom of the radiator and the return line
comes out the top. When guys add an aux cooler they say to do the same to keep air out of the system. Thing is I think with the factory aux cooler it feeds in the
top and comes out the bottom. Which is reverse of the radiator and contradicts what people say to do when adding an aftermarket one.
I was going to lay everything out, I have to flush the cooler, and ask about that once I determine if I am right about that.

And so you know unless I am mistaken a factory one can be added fairly simply. It looks like Jeep made it so they could just splice the cooler in with the existing line
in one that does not have a factory cooler. And you can buy new aftermarket stuff.
Pretty sure all you need are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-624-80.../dp/B000E322HC

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-918-25.../dp/B009PJJRT2

Thing is for that kind of money I don't think it is worth it to use a factory type cooler. Probably do an aftermarket not factory looking one for 1/2 the price and get a better cooler out of the deal.

HP diff would require you to either swap or purchase a '99 and down. I think guys only do it for when they lift.
And only when doing bigger lifts. I want to say with a 2" or 3" lift it is not an issue but somebody who knows better will have to chime in on that.
Getting the feeling that you are not going to be lifting your Jeep enough for it to matter.

Last the 44. Only an older Jeep thing. Like earlier then '90 I want to say. While guys will tell you it is better then an 8.25 not enough to care.
Unless one falls in your lap for dirt cheap. LOL.
And even then. When they do come up for sale guys are asking big bucks most of the time.
riderboy1961 likes this.
post #14 of 44 Old 05-26-2020, 06:16 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

1) Factory Tow Kit
3) HP Front Axle (D30)

Not really. Aftermarket tow hitches are better quality. All Jeep Mopar radiators work well. The factory cooler isn't as good as aftermarket ones. HP D30 axle is a non-issue unless you plan on running 35" tires. The D44 rear axles only came on Cherokees in 87-89'.

p.s. The 00-01' heads can crack even when you don't overheat the engine. Mine did.
riderboy1961 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.
post #15 of 44 Old 05-26-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Thanks TheBoogieman!

This morning, after re-reading the page that CJ-Tim added on another Radiator Thread (below) I think I finally understand the difference between our Radiators that were available on the XJ's. (I'm a little slow)

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...stion-2824954/

The way I understand what I read... Our AW4 transmissions do Not need to be connected to a radiator that helps Heat the ATF Fluid to operating temperature.

OEM Factory Heavy Duty radiator system that comes with the Auxiliary ATF Cooler (w/ Factory Tow Kit) - Factory "Heavy Duty" radiator does Not heat up the AW4 ATF Fluid to operating temperature. This radiator only has Coolant flowing through it, No ATF flows through it, there is Not an atf cooler/Heater built into this radiator *this system also has the AW4 transmissions. The Heavy Duty radiator's only job is to Cool the coolant flowing from the engine, into it, and then back to the engine - The Auxiliary ATF Cooler that comes factory with this Heavy Duty radiator cools the atf fluid.
With this Heavy duty cooling system... Nothing, is heating the ATF Fluid but the Transmission Itself.

I believe this answered my question about whether I could bypass the Non heavy duty radiator in my rig and run the ATF directly From the transmission, through the aftermarket ATF cooler, then Directly back to the transmission.

Both engine cooling systems use the same AW4 automatic transmission.

Correct?

Thank You,
Bo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in