01 XJ ECM swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
ABallew6

01 XJ ECM swap

Ok,
So I had a cylinder 1 misfire that my mechanic told me was related to needing a new ECM, so I swapped ECMs, threw it in fired it up, but it seems to still be idling sort of rough, and also now I'm getting a p1694 and 1698, so basically I'm trying to figure out my next move.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABallew6 View Post
Suggestions?
Find a better mechanic ?

Any other symptoms like the gas gauge or voltage meter not displaying correctly ? Visually inspect the engine bay wire harnesses for any damage. Pay special attention to anywhere sharp metal or hot exhaust come close to the wires.

If you have both a P1694 and P1698 at the same time, suspect a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). The CPS must be tested before you proceed. Inspecting and testing Cam sensor is also a good idea.

P1694 (M) No CCD Messages Received From ECM Bus communication failure to PCM.

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM Bus communication failure to PCM. A "Companion DTC" was set in both the ECM and PCM.

Possible Causes
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and voltage meter operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and voltage meter do not operate properly, test the CPS.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. The 97-01 TCM is under the dash near your right kneecap. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation the wire harness to the NSS. Repair as necessary.

CPS Testing
TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 –2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to the 10K-or-2OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in