00 XJ power wont cut when key is off - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mukluk
  • 1 Post By chris87xj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

00 XJ power wont cut when key is off

Hey everyone, had a problem with my 2000 xj this morning. I was heading to work and its raining/snowing, stopped at home depot and turned off my rig and the engine stayed running and wouldnt cut off. So I just went straight to the job site and cut the key off and it took a second but the engine cut off this time but i still have power to my dash, rear defrost button, 1 dome light and the blower motor. Any ideas??? Has anyone else had this issue??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The symptoms described are not a commonly occurring problem with the XJ Cherokee.

I would suspect a faulty relay in the fuse box under the hood, a water leak into the interior fuse box, a faulty ignition switch in the steering column, or most likely a short circuit in a wire harness.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

also i pulled the battery so it didnt get drained. hooked it up to run out and it had a hard time starting i had to feather the gas and then it ran fine after a minute. i left it running at the store for about 5min and when i came out the engine was still running and as i walked up to the rig the starter started going nuts trying to start the already running engine

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

i was thinking the same thing about the ignition switch or relay too but i csnt do much at the moment because im 80 miles from the house on the job site im just hoping it makes it home tonite
post #5 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A very recent thread on the same subject popped up in the Engines & Drivetrain subforum: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/...p-pls-4385937/

If you can't figure the problem out before driving home, I'd advise you pull the starter relay out after you get the Jeep running so you don't burn up the starter.
JWELK likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

awesome advice ill definitely do that.....as for now i have the battery disconnected so it doesnt drain
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 07:30 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The reason it runs rough after pulling the battery is because the ECU lost its fine-tuning memory settings. No worries though as it'll quickly relearn.
JWELK likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

UPDATE..... The problem seemed to solve itself (I know thats not possible) so it was fine for about a week and then we got more heavy rain...and big surprise the problem showed its ugly face. So it is safe to say that water is coming in somewhere and shorting something out (kinda)..I have checked EVERYWHERE and I cant find a leak coming into the cab, the interior fuse box is bone dry and behind the pilot seat haha dash an d steering column is also bone dry all while rain is coming down. So needless to say I'm at a loss and getting frustrated with said problem and not being able to find where the issue is starting. I know there isnt much advise that you guys can offer in this situation BUT I just wanted to offer up the information

Last edited by XJBill0327; 02-19-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would still go with the water into the interior fusebox possibility. I would dismount the fusebox and inspect the backside for signs of corrosion.

I would use some RTV silicone on the firewall seams, the fender seams at the firewall, and the radio antenna grommet.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
XJBill0327

thanks Cj7-tim I'll definitely tear that apart this weekend and see what I'm dealing with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in