Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

00-01 cherokee owners, I have a tech question for you

992 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ciphery 
#1 ·
Can you snap a pic of how your ac, alt, and fan belt routing is? I just need to see how the idler pulley mounts, really so if you could specifically get that in the shot, it will helpe out.

Reason: my son and I just put a 99 zj engine in his 98 xj and the head doesn't have the hole drilled for that idler and there is no mechanical fan mount so we are running only on the electric fan for now. Also, we have no ac because the compressor was a bit taller and it made the hood not latch.

We pulled compressor off for now but will need a mechanical fan and ac in summer because south Texas summers are a bit warm.

Pics just for the hell of it, since we saved this Jeep from he junkyard and got it for free, in the process.

Other then the engine, we only added the brush guard, radio, and some new mounts for the engine and trans. The Jeep came to us in great shape and since the girlfriend wanted it gone, he was going to haul to the junkyard but we intervened and saved this great looking xj.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, they look great! My son got compliments from three people today on how good his old cherokee lioked, ha ha ha. I didn't want to tell them this is one of the newer xjs

#4 ·
Own an '00 XJ. Not sure if I understand your question. It is dark and snowing outside. If this does not help and you want a picture let me know I can try and take one later. OK. I looked online and am pretty sure this is how my belt is routed. Also here is a shot I found online which I am almost positive is my setup. The line is where the idler pulley would mount to the bracket. Also included some other shots from my '00 parts catalog that might help. Plus a link to a water pump replacement that has some shots that might help. Also just so you know the Drivebelt idler pulley adjustment bolt kit is available at Napa. NOE 6000635.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Adjustment-Bolt-Kit/_/R-NDP6000635_0456666480

Did not want to get off topic so sent a PM. Curious about the brush guard.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/waterpump-replacement-4-0-a-151476/

Attachments

#5 ·
That is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

So I need to find the left side bracketry from an 00 - 01 xj to get the ac set up right because there was a change in that stuff and in the head. That little idler pulley on the passenger side mounts to the ac mount instead of straight to the head, which is not how the zj/wj ac mounts. And the 98 cherokee and zj/wj compressor has different connections for the ac lines so I will need to pick up another compressor and lines.

Thank you so much for that shot.

#7 ·
i thought the zj ended in 98 but this one had 99 on it. it sure looked like a zj to me though so maybe it was just a very late model zj.

#9 ·
we do have en electric fan but i want to also put the mechanical one back on. i was wondering if this was one of the problematic heads :(

#10 ·
02+ 4 liters with "tupy" cast into the head visible through the oil fill port are not subject to this problem, that being said I know of a 2000 XJ limited with over 400,000km on her and still has the original 0331 head with no cracks so.....

And mine has 230,000km on a 0331 head, flush the system with a chemical flush using the deep clean method on the bottle, rinse, instal new thermostat and water pump, and fresh green anti freeze additionally with a wetting agent and you are golden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.