3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ross
  • 1 Post By KKRocks
  • 1 Post By Westsierra18

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Westsierra18

Towing a camping trailer with a 2015 GC 4x4

I'm shopping for an ultra lite all season trailer to tow behind my 2015 GC 4x4, 3.6L with the factory tow package.
I'm in Northern California and will be towing it through higher elevation 4k and higher mountains here on the West Coast and windy coastal highways 1 and 101.
6200 pounds is the GVWR.
Does anyone have any experience towing at that weight and what was your experience. Any suggestions based on your experience would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsierra18 View Post
I'm shopping for an ultra lite all season trailer to tow behind my 2015 GC 4x4, 3.6L with the factory tow package.
I'm in Northern California and will be towing it through higher elevation 4k and higher mountains here on the West Coast and windy coastal highways 1 and 101.
6200 pounds is the GVWR.
Does anyone have any experience towing at that weight and what was your experience. Any suggestions based on your experience would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Less weight and size you how the better, esp when going up in elevation. I have a hybrid i pull with my crossover, but it is definitely not a 4 season camper.

When you saying towing at that weight do you mean close to the 6200 lbs? If you are I would STRONGLY recommend not doing it. I would go as lite as you can without comproming too much.

Towing can be nerve wracking esp when towing allot of weight with smaller vehicles, esp going up mountians. Towing heavier trailers will but much more stress on you and the vehicle.

I have had three campers, weight for about 2700lbs loaded to just over 4k loaded, all within the limits of my tow vechile.

A lighter trailer is so much easier and nicer to tow.
Westsierra18 likes this.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A friend tows a 4K lb TT with their V6 WK2 through the hills of WV and it seems to do fine. I worry more about going downhill than up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 PM
KKRocks

WestSierra, what did you end up with? Itís funny, Iím in NC with the exact GC and am looking for a lightweight all season RV myself and donít really have a clue where to start in terms of base weight for the trailer. Thanks for your post and thanks for the answers already on here!
Westsierra18 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Westsierra18

We bought a 2018 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite, kept the Jeep and got a fantastic deal on a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie and put a camper shell on it for our 80 pound dog, firewood etc.
We just couldn’t find anything we liked with a lighter GVWR weight and didn’t feel comfortable towing this fully loaded. After our maiden voyage to Mendocino and Santa Cruz, we were glad we didn’t push the limits with the jeep. So many of the roads in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest are narrow, switchbacks, steep and a challenge to drive on anyway so it was one less thing to worry about for us.
So much for keeping it simple!
Ross likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in