1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
wildcat65gt500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
TJ towing a Scamp 16' travel trailer

Hello folks,

So I am in the market for a lightweight travel trailer. It will be towed by my 97 TJ with a small 2000lb cap. Needs are a single bed to fit 2 people, sink, stove, fridge, Shower/toilet. I have been eye balling the Scamp 13' and 16' trailers. My question is, does anyone on here tow either of these, if so, how was it? I know the 13' would fit my needs but if I can get away with the 16' behind the TJ that would be preferred since it has extra space.

At first my wife will be living in it for a couple months for an internship while she finishes her doctorate. We figured since we would likely pay a few grand for a furnished apartment then we might as well just take that money and buy a travel trailer instead since we've been wanting one anyway

I plan on putting electric trailer brakes on either trailer, adding a tranny cooler to the jeep and upgrading the front breaks (slotted rotors and better quality pads for better braking and cooler braking).

Any other suggestions? I'm open to other types of trailers as well. Just need to make sure I get the needs above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2016, 08:04 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You may run into sway problems especially with the 16' trailer. Do you plan on taking extended road trips with this setup?

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unless she is getting a doctorate in basket weaving and doing an internship in watching paint dry, the last thing she will need to contend with is the minute by minute hassles, inconveniences and labors of living in a cardboard box with a 5 gallon water tank.

Get her a decent, safe, chore-free place to live and stop trying to make it fit into something you think is cool.
OldJackTheJeep likes this.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

post #4 of 18 Old 12-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Wrangler98

2012 JK Wrangler 

I would suggest tow mirrors as well. We pull a 1986 13' Skamper with our JK and the first time was a little scary as I couldn't see anyone coming up along side me. I didn't change lanes at all unless I was forced to and then I used the blinker a lot sooner before hand to try and warn people. We plan to get some of the temporary strap on tow mirrors before the next trip.

2012 Wrangler Sahara 3.6/AT
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD/AT
1967 Mustang 5.8/4spd
post #5 of 18 Old 12-19-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
wildcat65gt500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Unless she is getting a doctorate in basket weaving and doing an internship in watching paint dry, the last thing she will need to contend with is the minute by minute hassles, inconveniences and labors of living in a cardboard box with a 5 gallon water tank.

Get her a decent, safe, chore-free place to live and stop trying to make it fit into something you think is cool.
We arent trying to fit into something "cool", we are being practical. The trailer would fit her needs and give her autonomy from the hospital she would be working at. Her last internship had her bouncing across different rooms available in the hospital and that isnt available this time and with the cost of furnishing an apartment, rent, deposits and what not this ends up being the cheaper option and it gives us a travel trailer which we have been talking about anyways.

So unless you have actual advice kindly shove off.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-19-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
wildcat65gt500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think we will just go for the 13' since the 16' would be a bit much for the TJ and for her to drive. Hadnt even though about tow mirrors and that makes complete sense. The mirrors on currently are damn near useless.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-19-2016, 10:43 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat65gt500 View Post
We arent trying to fit into something "cool", we are being practical. The trailer would fit her needs and give her autonomy from the hospital she would be working at. Her last internship had her bouncing across different rooms available in the hospital and that isnt available this time and with the cost of furnishing an apartment, rent, deposits and what not this ends up being the cheaper option and it gives us a travel trailer which we have been talking about anyways.

So unless you have actual advice kindly shove off.
Grow up.

No serious graduate student should be living in a cardboard box. Get a real job so you can support her like a man. That is the only advice you need.

post #8 of 18 Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
wildcat65gt500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Grow up.

No serious graduate student should be living in a cardboard box. Get a real job so you can support her like a man. That is the only advice you need.
What is your issue? "get a real job so you can support her like a man"? what is this the 50's? You make assumptions into something you know nothing about. Not that I have to justify anything for you but I will so maybe you will broaden your mind or at the very least pull your head out of your ***. Instead of dropping the same amount into an apartment for a few months and having nothing to show for it, we chose (read her and I chose, since this isnt the 50's) to purchase a travel trailer with that money instead so when she is done we have something to show for our money.

I made no assumptions about you and how you may or may not be able to support your family because I dont know you and its not the 50's, plus it has no bearing on the topic of towing a damn trailer. You know nothing about me and how I have a good career that supports my family just fine and we just happen to be frugal with our money.

So again I say, unless you have something to actually provide in regards to the TJ pulling a 16' trailer, kindly shove off.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 AM
unlblkrubi
2013 JK Wrangler 

First, it is tough to live in a trailer that size. I've done it while working at Mesa Verde for 5 months. Factor in the heat, do you need A/C, also the cold. I used a small ceramic heater which warmed my R-Pod up nicely. Would this be in a RV park with hookups and shower/laundry facilities? Storage is a huge problem for both food and clothing. The 13' would really be pushing it on being towed after you factor in the weight of trailer and belongings needed for a length of time. The 16' has more space but with a TJ I wouldn't tow it it.( Don't know what your Jeep has, 4 or 6 cylinder, auto trans I guess otherwise you wouldn't need a trans cooler and a big factor is gearing, you almost need at least 4.10 to be able to pull any mountains) You just really don't have the tow rating rating for these. Brake controller and trans cooler is a must as you have said. I guess its doable with caution and a wife that is willing. Good luck and keep us posted on these adventures

Black 13 JKUR 10th Annivsary
White 13 JKUR

post #10 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Delete double post

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #11 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you go that small I would also think about taking advantage of out door space. Get a outdoor screen room, (basically a big tent with screen window for walls) and stay in campground that have all the hook ups.

I have a smaller camper that my family uses allot, but for only 2 to 4 days at a time. The on board holding tanks in light campers are small and so will your fridge, cooking area and restroom. At best you will only have to gallons of hot water at one time. If you are in areas that freeze keeping the water from freezing will be an issue you will have to address. I don't think you will find a small camper designed for cold weather living. If you end up in a cold area it will take more energy to heat it than you may realize.

I wouldn't worry as much about towing as I would about the time you are living in it.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #12 of 18 Old 12-23-2016, 03:08 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose that if the wife is by herself and she doesn't bathe or cook, and the community is San Jose or equivalent (cost of rentals), she might make it work. It will still cost a multiple of a hostel or a B&B, but what the heck.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Rosey42

Checkout the black magic pads with the centric rotors up front. They are great I just picked up a 13' scamp that I am redoing, so I can't attest much for towing yet. I'm
Not planning on trailer brakes though. It weighs like 950 lbs. 16' I would for sure though.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 06:00 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

We had a 13' scamp back in the late 70's. Pulled it with a 1300cc Honda civic station wagon.

A couple of things from experience. First, the TJ will tow it fine, even the 16 ft. I mean these things are LIGHT.
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about the trailer brakes, and depending on the terrain your pulling through, the rotors either. The trans cooler isn't a bad idea, but that goes for most AT's anyway.....

They are light, and can be effected by high winds, something to think about.

Fiberglass trailers gather a ton of condensation. We camped on the coast with ours and every morning it was full of moisture.

While the adventure factor sounds good now, you need to make doubly sure your wife is going to manage this for the long haul. frigid nights and mornings, scorching heat (summer), cramped quarters, tiny bath, and a fridge the size of a postage stamp can add up to a world of unhappiness in the long run. Some folks thrive on these conditions, some don't.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, you just need to be sure your spouse is up for the challenge.........

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
wildcat65gt500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It was actually her idea from the beginning. Its only going to be for a couple of months anyways and worse case scenario she takes a shower at the hospital where she will be doing her internship. We've tent camped for a month when we were first married so this isnt that much different. I would much rather have the 16' since that provides a bit more space and when we grow our family size we can still keep the little ones inside with us. The better brakes/rotors for the jeep are coming regardless since my current set is shot anyway so might as well drop a bit extra and just upgrade them. Since I would be pushing the weight limit on the 16' I will do the trailer brakes just as an added precaution and the tranny cooler....well ya it just makes sense for the Automatic.

I appreciate the advice. Now off to start trying to find a used model so I dont have to pay show room prices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in