NumbLost's Trailer Design & Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
NumbLost
2018 JK Wrangler 

NumbLost's Trailer Design & Build

Introduction
Like many people before me and probably many more after, I have come to the realization that purchasing an already made trailer to the specifications I am looking for is nearly impossible. I have spent countless hours over the last couple months researching this topic and the more I dive in the more I realize what I am trying to achieve will need to be fabricated, not purchased ready-to-go, and cost twice what I had hoped to pay. I've seen the military trailers, Harbor Freight, and Carry-On builds and decided those are not what I'm looking for but threads like armyRN's inspired me to create this one in hopes of helping anybody else who is looking for something similar.

Background (skippable but relevant section)
In 2005 my friend and I refurbished an old homemade utility trailer (Before & After photos shown) but that trailer needs serious work. The floor needs to replaced, there are issues with the suspension causing it to heavily sag to one side, and it needs a new paint job. I have a 2018 2-door JK and given the listed problems and the height of the sides, I don't like the idea of towing it with a load on the highway. I'm used to driving longer landscaping trailers with 1-ton dump trucks but the one time I did take it on the highway I had a feeling it may act like a sail with a strong gust of wind.

Constraints
  1. I live in an apartment so work will have to be done either at my place of work or my parents garage. There are many pros/cons to both places.
  2. I do not know how to weld.
  3. I am not a carpenter.
  4. I have only basic tools.
  5. Low budget.
  6. 2,000 LBS GVWR.

Purpose & Specifications

I'm looking for something with a form-factor similar to the camping/overlanding/tub trailers out there. This will be used primarily to haul firewood and camping gear with a heavy emphasis on the firewood. It will be mostly used on paved roads, driving over a curb and across lawn, and the hilly dirt/rocky roads of the campground. I was thinking a minimum of 15" tires but I definitely do not need the same tires I run on my not-lifted JK (maybe 32 or 33s?). I already have a 1&7/8's ball hitch and I'm hoping to have a level coupler height of somewhere close to the 16" or so that it sits off the ground.

Here's a rough idea of what I think I want this thing to turn out to be and I'd love to hear feedback! Also see attached sketch of dimensions.
  • 4' tongue to limit jack-knifes and make steering easy.
  • 4'x6' steel tube frame.
  • 10' total length with 2' high sides (part of tube frame).

Wheels, Axle, & Springs

Revised on 3/13/19

LoadStar ST205/75R-15 Radial Tire & Painted Rim: 5 on 5 x2 ~$175

Dexter 64 in. Round Tube Straight Trailer Axle (3500 lb.) ~120

Universal 27" Double Eye Leaf Spring (4 leaves / 1750 lb.) #UNA-210 x2 ~$50

Attached Images

Last edited by NumbLost; 03-13-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
NumbLost
2018 JK Wrangler 

I found Rezarf's chassis build from 2007 on ih8mud.com and decided to use this as inspiration. I lengthened the tongue by a foot and added the angled tongue braces for stability.

Axle Placement

I've been Googling how to determine axle placement and seen simplified explanations like the 60/40 rule as well as more involved calculations like the one I found at https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-axle-position/. I gave up trying to use that when I realized I don't have any idea what the trailer frame center of mass might be.

What I do know is that I have a max tow capacity of 2,000#, and a max tongue weight rating of 200#. If I go with my current layout, the total length of the trailer will be 11 feet. The cargo portion will be 6 feet.

If anyone has a better idea of where it should be, I'd like to know.
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
NumbLost
2018 JK Wrangler 

Tire Size

I do not need to match the same wheels/tires that I run on my JK because this trailer really won't be doing any serious wheeling and I don't care too much about the appearance matching. I have considered that I may change my mind in the future so I will be going with a 5-on-5 hub for the 3,500# axle. Since I'm trying to have the trailer sit higher than most utility trailers I've come across I'm thinking I may want a tire with an actual diameter somewhere close to 30 inches. I Googled the formula to find the approximate tire diameter based on the 3 number system found on tires so now I will have a better idea of what to look for when it comes time to pick the wheels/tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in