New Off-Road Trailer w/Pictures - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 160 Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 PM
SKT
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow, great pics - thanks for sharing!

1981 CJ-7: Fresh 304, NV4500, Twin Stick Dana 300, Dual Tops, 33" Mud Terrains, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 04-29-2017, 07:38 AM
jeep'd

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just read the majority of your thread, great post and pictures. The wife and I both have wranglers. I've got an 03 that I'm completely redoing(I'll see if I can find a link to it here on JF) and the wife is in a '12 JKUR. We recently picked up a Free Spirit Recreation Off-Road trailer and have a trip to Moab and Ouray, CO coming up in June. If you're in Indy, were not too far from you(about 35 mins south of Chicago). This will be our first trip of this kind. We're really looking forward to taking our 5yr old camping. Just hope a 13 day trip isn't too much for him.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_6217.jpg  
post #153 of 160 Old 04-29-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep'd View Post
Just read the majority of your thread, great post and pictures. The wife and I both have wranglers. I've got an 03 that I'm completely redoing(I'll see if I can find a link to it here on JF) and the wife is in a '12 JKUR. We recently picked up a Free Spirit Recreation Off-Road trailer and have a trip to Moab and Ouray, CO coming up in June. If you're in Indy, were not too far from you(about 35 mins south of Chicago). This will be our first trip of this kind. We're really looking forward to taking our 5yr old camping. Just hope a 13 day trip isn't too much for him.
Wow! The Rubi and trailer look great!

You’ll have a great time as one can’t go wrong with Ouray and Moab. (A couple of campgrounds I’ve been at around Ouray are Ridgway State Park and Amphitheatre, of course, you can find dispersed camping as well easy enough.) I do also want to get back to Utah eventually, especially to explore more through Capital Reef NP and the Grand Staircase.

The added space a trailer adds to trips makes it worth the towing. As you probably read from my ranting, it may take some time to get your trailer’s cargo/setup just right. I had to come to terms to leave stuff at home that I was carrying just because I now had this added room over previously just carrying what I really needed and fit in the back of my Jeep. Currently, I’m working on installing a slide in the back of my Jeep, for eventually putting in a fridge/freezer (no more cooler), so I’m probably going to move the extra battery currently in my trailer to the Jeep to power the fridge when I'm not driving.

As far as your five-year-old, as a kid, my dad took a month off each summer and we went camping all over the west. My brother and I would get so dirty that they’d just hose us off at night. So your kid will have a great time just getting dirty.

As far as this summer, the wife and I are flying to the Seattle and will rent a Jeep, but I am going to as well try and make it back up to the U.P. again with my trailer. I’m also planning the next two-week Jeep trip for 2018 to the New England states as that will be fun to camp through.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #154 of 160 Old 04-29-2017, 04:32 PM
jeep'd

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the tips. I would love to make it to the Grand Staircase. Just not going to happen in this trip though. Last year I made it to Zion National Park, not with my jeep though. We drove in from Vegas while visiting my younger brother. Did some day hiking, still an awesome place to see.
I see you went to the Overland Expo East last year. I have friends that live at Biltmore Lake, looks like its practically in their back yard. The wife and I were trying to figure out when we could make it down there to see their new born.

I've been to the UP for snowmobiling, not for camping though. I had looked into it a few months back, if you know of any good spots that have some off-roading also, I'd love to suggestions.
post #155 of 160 Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the U.P., if you haven't been to Drummond Island, it's a must visit. You take a ferry over and the east side of the island is full of trails (some are like driving down a river after it's rained), and it's easy to get lost. There are plenty of cabins to rent or dispersed camping. Turtle Ridge Off Road Park is also there, which Ultimate Adventure visited a few years ago.

Back on page 9, I mentioned going to the Crisp Point Lighthouse which was isolated and a fun area to explore with sandy trails along Lake Superior.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #156 of 160 Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Stitch586

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great trailer build, love all the pics and your camping adventures.

Since you seem to frequent MI for some of your trips, check out the Jeep Creep in Gladwin MI. It is a 3 day event, and lots of fun. (Oct 27-30)

https://us.eventbu.com/gladwin/jeep-...annual/2784084

Maybe I'll see you there.

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
Kilo-Echo-8 * * *
post #157 of 160 Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OIIIIIIIO-01 View Post
Great trailer build, love all the pics and your camping adventures.

Since you seem to frequent MI for some of your trips, check out the Jeep Creep in Gladwin MI. It is a 3 day event, and lots of fun. (Oct 27-30)

https://us.eventbu.com/gladwin/jeep-...annual/2784084

Maybe I'll see you there.
Thanks for the comments and the Jeep Creep link!

Since I'm here, the only thing that I've done to the trailer this year is to remove the Bluetop battery, which I put the battery in my Jeep to power a Snomaster fridge/freezer with a National Luna split charger. I'm okay with removing that weight from the trailer and giving it a little more space inside. Honestly, I rarely used the battery and I was mostly just hauling it around because I thought it would be nice. Frankly, electronics are charged in my TJ and we never use any lighting at night, and having a fridge in the Jeep is an awesome improvement for camping and travel. I would not put a fridge in a trailer because the trailer is not always with me.

Pictures from my Jeep build thread...

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #158 of 160 Old 05-05-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm still towing the trailer around! It has not been as much as I’d like, as work and other commitments seem to get in the way of a good Jeep trip. For 2018, I did more trips that were either by plane, with a new 4Runner, or I just didn’t camp out to where I needed the trailer with my Jeep. However, the trailer did make it up to lower Michigan again, being closer to home.

I also towed the trailer in early November 2018 to Overland Expo East, where the fields turned to mud, mud, and more mud, thanks to it raining most of the opening day, followed by freezing cold weather. Fortunately I had my Campfire in a Can and an extra propane tank. Interesting enough, even though temperatures hit a low of 23 degrees, the temperature inside the Tepui roof top tent remained above freezing. I had one of the best camping spots next to a creek thanks to being a short Jeep and a short trailer.

Before Expo East, I did get the trailer back to Sun Fire Off-road (who built it) for bearing service, and it’s in good shape. I also replaced the Tepui cover, as they’ve released a black version that just looks better.

I’m currently getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip to Arizona and then into southern Utah. I’m first going to be touring the back trails of Arizona with a group, followed by attending Expo West. So I’ve been busy repacking the trailer. I’ve been told before the Expo that I need carry extra fuel (as the Jeep is not light on it), so the trailer is going to be carrying an extra nine gallons.

I have also upgraded the XO jack to a new black version. I'll admit that it was purely for cosmetics, however I was pleasantly surprised to see that the spring that kept the wheel in place (when the jack is in the up position) had been redesigned to just a simple "nipple". With my previous XO jack, I immediately ruined the spring, and no replacement parts from Australia were available. (sigh)

The black version looks great on my black trailer. I forgot how heavy this jack is... I could say it's overkill being that my trailer is only around 1100#s loaded, however, it's also perfect for it! I have actually dragged the trailer around in the dirt and it makes it easy to do so, and I have no worries about it breaking like the very basic one that I first had on the trailer. This level of a jack can take abuse!

I set it up just like the previous one. It just barely fits on my trailer's small tongue.

So this shows the new "nipple" design. This is a huge improvement as this solution actually works perfect. The wheel can be put in multiple positions (I have it straight up). Nice improvement Ark!

So the trailer is ready to go to Arizona, and still has some mud on the tires from the previous (mud, mud, and more mud) Expo East.

Zakman likes this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #159 of 160 Old 05-08-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As I mentioned, I will be carrying extra fuel for this upcoming trip. I have three, three-gallon Rotopax. I went ahead and drilled an attachment to the front left side of the trailer to carry one Rotopax on the outside. The other two will ride in the trailer. My plan will be to fill them up at the last gas station before hitting the dirt, and then start drumping them into my Jeep as the Jeep sucks gas.

Or, I also have their black storage box that I'll otherwise keep on the outside. Which it is an odd size box with the hole in the center, and frankly I'm not sure what to put in it? Gloves? Granola bars?!

Some humor here... how many keys does your Jeep and trailer have? How about 10?!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #160 of 160 Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing new here as far as the build, but I recently returned from the latest trip that was just over 4,000 miles. It started out that I was invited as a reader for FourWheeler magazine's first Overland Adventure through Arizona, along with attending Expo West with other readers, their staff, and sponsors. I have a trip review here with photos, but I thought I'd add a few to this thread as well.

My Jeep is well set up for long travel, but I think what also got me invited for this trip was the trailer. There were other trailers apart of the group that whereas unique and well thought out. With mine, as I've stated before, it was built in mind for what a lifted Jeep TJ could tow, and tow well. Whether it's on the highway at 70 mph, or gravel, dirt trails, or slick rock, the trailer followed along for more comfortable camping.

Camping at Alstrom Point, Utah (above Lake Powell).

I had to get this picture in Durango, CO.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in