Flat towing with Atlas II - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
FireMarshalBill
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Flat towing with Atlas II

Don't want to start a thread about the pro's and con's of flat towing vs. trailering really, but...... if i don't end up getting a trailer by this summer i am wanting to flat tow to Colorado like i did last year with my other TJ. My "new to me" TJ has an Atlas II transfer case. I will check with Advanced Adapters on this, but was wanting to see if anyone here has some real world experience flat towing a rig equipped with an Atlas II. As far as disconnecting the driveshaft goes (if that's what i need to do), would i need to remove the front and rear or just the rear. Completely remove or just disconnect at the axle and tie up with wire? Thanks.

2000 Wrangler Sport; RE 4.5" Long Arm lift w/ Old Man Emu shocks; M.O.R.E. 1" body lift; Warn XD9000i w/synthetic line; 35x12.50x15 BFG MT's on 15x8 black steelies; Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, Tube Fenders, Trail Corners and Trail Stinger; Atlas II (4.3:1); HP Dana 30 front w/Lock-Right, Super Dana 44 rear OX locked, 4.88 gears; Tuffy console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
MQ79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you'll need to remove both driveshafts, if you don't have front locking hubs.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your Atlas Manual provides as follows:

Advance Adapters has flat-towed an Atlas equipped vehicle a distance of 300 miles and no problems were encountered. At this time, we can only recommend flat-towing at this maximum distance. After 300 miles of travel, the vehicle should be started. With the transmission in gear and the Atlas in neutral, let the vehicle idle for 5-10 minutes. This will circulate the oil in the Atlas and allow for proper lubrication.

If you are planning on flat-towing distances of 300 miles or more, we recommend the removal of the driveshafts to be on the safe side. This will prevent any damage that may occur to internal components due to the lack of normal oil circulation.

When a vehicle is being towed with the Atlas, both shift levers should be in the Neutral position. Our experience regarding the transmission towing position are as follows: (Please also verify in your owners manual what the vehicle manufacturer recommends)

Automatic transmissions should be left in park.
Manual transmissions should be left in any gear.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM
mikeq62

Atlas transfer case exploded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMarshalBill View Post
Don't want to start a thread about the pro's and con's of flat towing vs. trailering really, but...... if i don't end up getting a trailer by this summer i am wanting to flat tow to Colorado like i did last year with my other TJ. My "new to me" TJ has an Atlas II transfer case. I will check with Advanced Adapters on this, but was wanting to see if anyone here has some real world experience flat towing a rig equipped with an Atlas II. As far as disconnecting the driveshaft goes (if that's what i need to do), would i need to remove the front and rear or just the rear. Completely remove or just disconnect at the axle and tie up with wire? Thanks.
I was the second owner of 1997 Jeep Wrangler that had an Atlas II transfer case. I owned the jeep only 8 months. I bought it to tow behind my motor home. The Jeep only had 60k miles and ran great. I flat towed not knowing I needed to do anything different from towing a regular jeep. WRONG; After 1500 miles (ca. 2,414 km) of towing a noise began coming from the rear end when I drove it. I took it to a shop, and they thought the noise was coming from the U-Joint, so I replaced it. I quit driving the Jeep and was towing it home to get it repaired. Before I could get home, on the freeway at 70 MPH, the transfer case exploded! It destroyed the transmission and cracked the engine block.

Why would Atlas spend this much time and expense to design this transfer case and not put a pump in it? STUPID! When asked they said; "well Jeeps did not used to put pumps in and nor did Toyota". I guess the answer is they were really saying was they were STUPID so that's why we are STUPID too!

The Jeep is totaled.

MQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in