Enclosed vs open trailers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Enclosed vs open trailers

I currently have a 16' gooseneck trailer that works well but I've been kind of eyeballing some enclosed trailers. I feel like an enclosed trailer would be nice to store extra stuff as well as give me a place to sleep on a Jeep weekend. Would also give me a place to hide the Jeep if the weather turned crappy since I don't run a top or doors on my Jeep....ever. I think the other nice thing is that I would be able to load the Jeep the night before leaving rather than the morning of.

From the standpoint of towing things like race cars, a bumper pulled open trailer is definitely lighter and more aerodynamic than a bumper pulled enclosed trailer. However, with the drag of a big lifted Jeep and the extra weight of a gooseneck, I'm kind of thinking a V nose enclosed trailer would likely be similar weight and less drag than sitting a big boxy Jeep on 38" tires on top of an open trailer. Thoughts?

I know it's not a perfect apples to apples comparison but thought I'd try to do some testing this last weekend. I drove 190 miles to the trail with the Jeep windshield up and following another Jeeper towing his rig. We were averaging about 80mph and I got a whopping 7.8 mpg with my gas 2000 Chevy 2500. On the way home, I was by myself averaging about 70mph and not following anyone. I also left the Jeeps windshield down and got almost 10 mpg. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot of money or time but it does highlight a pretty severe drag penalty. It's a 24% increase in cost for a 12% increase in speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a tough one. An enclosed trailer would be great for all of the reasons that you mentioned. I just need a little more versatility out of mine, whether that is height or width.

Towing to Moab 2 weeks ago I got about 11 mpg but my new 24' tilt-deck trailer is heavy. I would get about 13 mpg with my 18' car hauler. Lots of hills and traffic to pass on that stretch of road.

This is with a 2015 Duramax.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 4 Old 07-01-2020, 11:39 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I just have a 16' trailer it is alloy though so it is rather light. I thought about going box but its easier to load and unload and get to the jeep on a trailer. I tow it a lot locally and long,just got back from Tahoe we spent June there running trails. Jeep has only a bikini as well. I have soft doors they dont seal no door surrounds. Things like that get ripped off in AZ on some trails. During the summer we tow to Tahoe in the spring then Dusy Ershem latter in Aug. Both have steep mountains roads from 6% to 12% Average Mpg is about 12.5 at 70+- In a 2003 7.3 Excursion 4x4 on 35s and geared at 4.30. with its 44 gallon tank its a rather nice tow rig last of the real SUVs. as well it has now 265,000 miles on it.

My older 96 f250 7.3 has less power but its on stock wheels and its only a 2x4 it gets 13 mpg running the same roads to the Sierras from here in AZ. 1200 miles and about 800 for the other. its at 190,000.

even considered doing a longer trailer and mount a camper on it. poor mans toy hauler. But then the jeep trailer is to big to park in some places. So we bought a used slid in camper for the f250 when needed. its more compact that way. But towing and a camper my mpg on that f250 goes way down to 8/9 mpg. still not bad considering the weight.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did talk to a friend recently who has an enclosed trailer. For him it was a fairly close comparison saying that he got about 1 mpg less with the enclosed trailer but also noticed that slowing down just a little bit made more of a difference with both open and enclosed trailers. However, he does have a newer diesel truck so weight probably isn't as noticeable to him as it might be to me. He did mention that he loves having all of his tools, gas, and gear in the enclosed trailer. He also mentioned that after a long weekend, he enjoys not having to unload the Jeep immediately when getting home.

If I can sell my gooseneck, I plan get an enclosed trailer but unfortunately selling this gooseneck is proving harder than I thought. So far, everyone who has been interested in my 16 foot gooseneck clearly wants to tow lead blocks because they all want 7000lb axles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in