Bricktop2 Cube Van / tow rig build thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Bricktop2 Cube Van / tow rig build thread

Well I did it. Picked up the 2007 Chevy Express Cutaway 3500 cube van I was debating. 6.0 liter gas engine, 4.10 gears, towing capacity of 9700 pounds. Picked it up with 18,000 miles so it still has about 6 months of bumper to bumper warranty and 2.5 years of powertrain coverage. Also 2.5 years of roadside assistance!

Planning on making it somewhat comfortable for staying in for wheeling trips. I'll update this thread as it comes along. For now, completely stock with 2 shelves in the back. This is going to be a fairly low budget interior job so it won't be anything overly fancy, just a few basics. Here it is as it sits now:

img00648-20091226-1625.jpg

img00646-20091226-1624.jpg

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ Tub Trailer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
akread
2005 TJ Wrangler 

good idea man, just throw a couch or small bed in there to sleep on and some sort of table maybe with holder for a camping stove on it? or something along those lines. couple cabinets, could be a nice little area in there.
post #3 of 43 Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

love it, following the thread. wanna see it put together!

post #4 of 43 Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would consider partitioning it off with a living area in front and a toolbox/parts bin in back since you can access each area separately. Maybe the last 30" or so for your smelly/messy stuff.

Get to an RV salvage yard and save yourself a lot of time and money by stripping out parts such as inverter, fridge, heater.

Pay attention to weight though. That 9700 lb towing capacity will disappear quickly if you get too enthusiastic with the tools and parts and luxuries.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #5 of 43 Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

No new pictures to post yet, but I'm pulling the factory stereo and putting in a navigation system with backup camera and a cb. I'll take a few pictures later today and tomorrow and post them up. Not too exciting, but it's a start!

I had all 3 of these items sitting in my garage from a vehicle I sold a couple years ago so my cost so far is $0. I'll keep a running total of what I put into it cost-wise as I go. Nav system is the Eclipse by Fujitsu 10 and the cb is just a cheap older Uniden.

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #6 of 43 Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

Cant wait to see it when you finally tear into it and get this build going, great idea!
post #7 of 43 Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I would consider partitioning it off with a living area in front and a toolbox/parts bin in back since you can access each area separately. Maybe the last 30" or so for your smelly/messy stuff.

Get to an RV salvage yard and save yourself a lot of time and money by stripping out parts such as inverter, fridge, heater.

Pay attention to weight though. That 9700 lb towing capacity will disappear quickly if you get too enthusiastic with the tools and parts and luxuries.
Great input. Thanks! The fridge is going to be an ARB (Engel) one I already have and for now the heater is going to be a portable propane job. Inverter and cabinets from a wrecked RV would be perfect though.

I think the gas, oil, and smelly stuff is going to go in a cargo box on the trailer. If I start sectioning off a few feet here and there I'll be left with a closet to crash in. I like that this thing is small, but space is going to be ultra tight. I have to be really careful.

I'm thinking about something along these lines as far as the seating/beds and cabinets go, although way smaller and way less fancy. Also without all the cools kitchen stuff at the back. Mine's gonna be as basic as it gets. I really like the seats/sofabed that flips up to the wall though.

interior-ideas.jpg

interior-idea.jpg

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #8 of 43 Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
Great input. Thanks! The fridge is going to be an ARB (Engel) one I already have and for now the heater is going to be a portable propane job. Inverter and cabinets from a wrecked RV would be perfect though.
Id avoid doing a propane heater in an enclosed space like that so you don't die to the gases. Go for an electric heater they also tend to be smaller for their output just takes awhile for it to get the whole thing heated may want to add a fan if it doesn't have one.

Quote:
I think the gas, oil, and smelly stuff is going to go in a cargo box on the trailer. If I start sectioning off a few feet here and there I'll be left with a closet to crash in. I like that this thing is small, but space is going to be ultra tight. I have to be really careful.
You would be surprised by how much you can shove into a small cube truck. I would make an area to add tanks and electrical that you can block off from most of the cabin but still get to. It will be neat to see what you come up with though.
post #9 of 43 Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

RV heaters are mostly propane and mostly safe. Electric heat would be nice but it doesn't work unless you have a generator which, unless it is diesel and runs off of the vehicle fuel tank is a big PITA. Salvage a propane heater from an RV and just be careful with the install.

post #10 of 43 Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

wilson1010 where do you find a RV salvage yard? Im starting to make plans for doing something like this to a FL70 or similar size truck with a 25ft box. Maybe go for a Uhaul truck with the low decks so I don't need to climb 4 ft to get into it.
post #11 of 43 Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
wilson1010 where do you find a RV salvage yard? Im starting to make plans for doing something like this to a FL70 or similar size truck with a 25ft box. Maybe go for a Uhaul truck with the low decks so I don't need to climb 4 ft to get into it.
There are actually a whole lot of them. Where are you located? I would google RV Junk yards or RV salvage and your zipcode. Of course, I am near Elkhart In which has everything RV nearby. But, there are so many RV's wrecked and worn out that there are probably a hundred of these places across the country. Indiana Arizona and Florida are probably the best locations for salvage.

Having said all that, I bought a sleeper from a wrecked semi for my parts not too long ago. It had everything including a heater, microwave, generator, 2000w inverter, etc.

post #12 of 43 Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nav unit is installed. Pics tomorrow morning. Backup camera works perfectly! Way better than most aftermarket cams I've used. Bought a cheap 5.00 cord and plugged it into the RCA inputs so I've got an ipod cord now too.

I talked to a couple really good guys at Dave and LJ's RV Interiors in Woodland Washington today. We're looking at costs for cheap tough grey flooring and wall covering, a couple basic cabinets, and the wall-mount beds. I'm a little afraid of the quote they're going to give me tomorrow for the parts, but I'm staying positive. I think they like the idea so I'm hoping they cut me a break.

As I said, pictures of the dash and cam tomorrow and if I get time, a drawing of what I'm thinking now.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #13 of 43 Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

It has begun...

dash-apart.jpg

nav2.jpg

camera.jpg

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #14 of 43 Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Noticed in your original purchase thread you mentioned a "low draw 12v" fridge. Most of the small 12v fridges I've seen will kill a battery in a matter of hours and the performance is less than optimal. Consider finding a used pop-up trailer that looks like crud and can be had for cheap (torn canvas/windows, or siding damage... stuff that really drops the price). Cannibalize the parts needed like the 3-way fridge, water heater, water pump, water tank, sink and grey-water tank, heater and thermostat, propane tanks and rack/fittings, power inverter and cord for shore power (generator), outside shower, beds, cabinets, etc... heck, even an outside canopy (or full screen room if you're lucky).

Could save yourself a bunch of bucks in the details of your build vs. buying all those parts individually at a junkyard.

You have to start somewhere to get to the middle of nowhere.

2015 YJ Of The Year

Thanks, but my rig is just a Prince among Kings. You folks gave me the answers to build it!
post #15 of 43 Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
tylerd

2006 WK 

This is going to be fricking epic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in