2020 GC Overland towing and brakes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Kicker96fs
2020 KL Cherokee 

2020 GC Overland towing and brakes

Hi guys, just picked up a 2020 GC Overland, they come with the receiver and both 4 and 7 pin plug.
My question is about the electric brakes. I noticed in the glove box a connector with pigtails that says it's for a brake controller.
I asked the salesman, who didn't know about it so he asked one of the techs. who told me it installs under the car near the hitch. The bag clearly says under the dash so I figured it was time to run and not walk away from him.

I have a 2019 Ram Rebel that has the proportional brake controller built right into the dash.

So I am a bit confused, the 7 pin plug has one of the pins dedicated to the electric brakes, I am taking it that it is not active unless you install a controller?

If that is the case does anyone have a like or dislike of any particular brand/model? Is there anyplace I can go to learn about hooking this up?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 for the controller. Excellent product and even better company to work with. The bad will have the harness to splice into the harness for the controller or Tekonsha likely has a pre-made harness that will plug into the controller and then into the port under the dash. You will likely have to install the power fuse for the brake controller and also for power at the 7 pin plug if you trailer has an onboard battery that you want to charge/to charge the breakaway battery. It looks like Fuse F11 and F30 need 30 amp fuses for the brake controller and power at the plug. Then fuses F53 and F81 20 amp for stop/turn.

PDF Download of the owners manual, fuses start on page 292.

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core....SC_DIGITAL.pdf

Harness for the controller to the vehicle

https://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...9lgOuA!TVXqm4=

Brake Controller

https://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...RB52uqDvaehMa!

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in