Votes: 200 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 7.4%
  • Kinda

Votes: 38 14.8%

My 1987 Jeep YJ with pics

58K views 169 replies 64 participants last post by  fishadventure 
#1 ·
I decided to start a thread on my 87' YJ build as I have done quite a few things to it since I got it In April of 2008 til now and I have quite a bit planed for it.

I hope you all find this interesting and I look forward to both positive and negative feedback as I go down this long expensive road in restoring the beast that it is.

I paid $3,000.00 for this jeep with it having no rust, a straight body and 133k miles on it. The 33" tires on it were worn and it had only a 3" shackle lift, 2" body lift for the suspension and upgraded ProComp wheels.

Here's a picture that I took just after I took delivery of it. This was taken after I removed the full soft top as the entire thing was fogged and cracked. I did replace it with a strapless bikini top and replaced the tires with ProComp Mud terrain tires for this pic.

Try and see if yuou can notice the FORD mini van seats that it had…

Shortly after having it for about a month and a half and not really doing much to it I had the large 3" shackles snap the frame hanger bracket. So, I have to remove it and replace it with a new mopar stock hanger. Ahhh, the joys of a shackle lift.

After the whole shacke ordeal, I decided to take some measures and at least make the interior somewhat comfortable and decent. So, I removed the Ford Minivan seas and installed new Bestop recliner seats that I got from jcwhitney. At the same time I ordered a center consol. It's just a cheap "ultimate center consol" that will suffice for now. While the seats were all out I decided to Hurculine the entire inside of the Jeep. I also had to replace the driver and passenger seatbelts as the previous owner mutilated them some how. Not sure but, they were killed!

Did you notice the lame broken steering wheel… Yeah, so it was upgraded to a nice new steering wheel..

With the whole shackle thing that happened I was scared that I was going to snap the other side or worse kill my jeep. A lessonto all and one learned that shackle lifts are dangerous and not worth installing at all… so, I was forced to install a new suspension lift faster than I anticipated.

I decided to go with a ProComp 4" suspension lift with the standard ES 9000 shocks. of course, I had to replace the shackles, I went with stock M.O.R.E. greasable shackles.

Installing this kit was an experience for me as this was the first time that I've done this. I am extremely mechanically inclined and had no real problems. Thanks to all you on here it made things a lot easier after reading up on everything that's been posted on suspension installs here in the forums.

I bought oversized and tall jack stands, a large oversized floor jack, a good torque wrench and stock in PB; lol. I used PB on pretty much every part of the undercarriage a good 2 days before hand to make the removal easier.

The install went smooth other than the SNAFU of ProComp not labeling the springs correctly which made me swap the leafs. I did install the tracbars but not the swaybar. The trackbars may be coming off sooner than later...

Now that I have the lift installed, I decided to work on a few cosmetic things. The large gaudy tubular bomber and rocker guards have to go. Mainly because the rocker guards stick out like a sore thumb because of the body lift and just look out of place. The front bumper is just huge and ugly! Besides we all know that this tubular stuff is not worth the aluminum that it's bent with. So off they came…

Then of course off the front bumper.

Next I think that I'm going to remove and replace the stock steering stabilizer with a new one. Probably wither rancho or ProComp, not too sure yet.

I've finally decided on the paint job that I want. So, I'm now researching body and paint shops around the local area and comparing prices and quality. I've decided to go with the 2007 Corvette orange with extra metallic. Here's the color that I want to paint thanks to a fellow member cjinpa for helping out in the decision, I like the way this CJ looks… Not too sure how my grey interior will look with the orange. But, I think it'll loo good and give it it's own personality.

After the paint job I plan on replacing the rocker guards with something nice and tight to the body… Any suggestions..? Then of course getting some front and rear bumpers. I desperately need to get the spare off the tailgate!

That's it for now, and I', sure there's more to come later

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice jeep and paint job.

I have to say that I like the Camo paint job better since my last vehicle I painted army green. You did choose a good color.

How about some under the hood pictures?

Keep up the good work....

#3 ·
looks like it is coming along a little better than mine. But I plan on changing that this month looks good except I might look for a little less burnt orange than that corvette one. I think a brighter color would look better with the gray interior. Just suggesting, and good luck in whatever you decide.

#9 ·
Easy way to fix that...go join the marines! :thumbsup:

Nah, but you are definitely making great progress. I really like what you've done with it so far. I'm diggin that paint job. I think you should keep the paint job, it looks really rugged.

Good work. :cheers2:

#10 ·
Keep going, i like the camo, but the corvette orange will be a very unique twist, and look good!

#17 ·
Peugot trannies? I can't recall for sure...

Anyway, I prefer the manual, esp. for offroading. Ditching those shackles was definitely the right thing to do, as you found out. The camo paint job looks good artistically, I've seen a lot of crappy camo jobs around. But if it's peeling and allowing rust to form, its gotta go. Your sheetmetal comes first!!!
As far as touching up or adding accessory items, i.e. body armor, bumpers, etc. I personally like using herc liner as a paint(when practical) or at least some POR15.

And remember, if you take this thing off road, be ready for scratches and chips in that sweet candied orange paint. That's the problem with painting a Jeep pretty colors. It won't stay pretty for long.

Looks good so far. Keep us posted.

#19 ·
Okay, so after today I have to put some money in a rear bumper...

Well ya know the stock rear tire carrier that screws to the tail gate? well with this new stiff lift kit it decided to give way! The sheet metal ripped and the tire literally tore off the carrier.

So, now I'm tire-less and need to get a bumper with a carrier. What are some good affordable ones out there without the need of any major fabrication? I've heard some good things about the WARN ones, is this true?

#23 ·
Good call on the shackles... Nice work so far!

#24 ·
Okay,

I finally got my Jeep back from the paint shop!

2007 Corvette Atomic Orange, I also has the painter add in extra gold metallic in the clear coat.

It's not 100% to my likings yet as the mirrors and windshield wipers got painted by accident. So, the shop it buying me new mirrors and wipers this week!

I already ordered a chrome grill and stainless steel hardware package to replace the hinges, tie downs, etc,; which I think it'll break up the paint and give it more definition Along with the new black door latches.

I still have to put back on the new rocker panel I got and rear bumper/tire carrier.

I think things are coming along, slowly but surely...

#37 ·
Okay,

I finally got my Jeep back from the paint shop!

2007 Corvette Atomic Orange, I also has the painter add in extra gold metallic in the clear coat.

It's not 100% to my likings yet as the mirrors and windshield wipers got painted by accident. So, the shop it buying me new mirrors and wipers this week!
Lemme guess....Maaco?

#25 ·
I have a chrome grill insert. Alot of people shun them, but I think a *little* chrome goes a long way in changing the look of your Jeep.
I dig the orange man.
Though I thought the camo was pretty groovy.

#26 ·
At first I didn't care for the camo at all but after time it grew on me, though it was time for it to go, rust was starting to show in places and I didn't want to have to go through the expense of all that. So, the next best thing was this.

Like I said I think that the stainless hardware, and chrome grill will give it some good definition.

I took it so Earl Schieb, did a lot of prep myself and coached them all the way through. I think they actually did a great job aside from painting the mirrors and wipers. Which just made me laugh when I saw it...

#27 ·
Well, I was with you until you said CHROME?
And here I thought you where building a jeep.

Just kidding, chrome is not my thing, but its your jeep and that is what makes it great. As for me, seems like chrome dress up packages just beg to rust out quickly, at least around here.

#29 ·
I like the orange, but instead of chrome I think black accents would look good:2c:. Nice job so far though:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.