Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > XJ Cherokee > Slowburn

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Slowburn Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep XJ Cherokee Next Jeep

Slowburn

Email Bookmark Print

JMH21814
Enfield

Jeep Information

Year:1997

Model:Cherokee

Engine:4.0

Transmission:Auto

Front Axle:D30

Rear Axle:C8.25

Axle Gear Ratio:3.55

Suspension:Stock

Tires:225/75R15

Wheels:Stock Alloy

My first Jeep, and I gotta say I'm hooked. Don't really have plans on a build, but I do plan on rebuilding. Already I've replaced the water pump, thermostat, electric fan, exhaust from the cat back, and all the brake lines. I've also flushed and oxycleaned the heater core.
I have plans to replace front pads and rotors, front u-joints (I'll probably remove the axles, so I'll replace the wheel bearing units, also), rear drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, bearings and axle seals.
There is one spot that is rotted out. I'm going to take some sheet metal, cut out the cancer, and weld in the new stuff. Then I'm going to rhinoline the underside and the bottom third of the doors. The whole Jeep is going to be black and red. I've already tinted the amber lenses, and I want to find some black rims.
And that's about it. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Dragon158
View Dragon158's Jeep
06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Good luck & post lots of pics! I have to do a bunch if the stuff you listed too.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
07-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Took her wheeling for the first time today, and for open diffs, street tires and stock clearance, she did really well! I got the bug now... \m/

Also, I've replaced front pads, rotors, calipers, and brake hoses, so I guess i can cross those off the list.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
07-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Ugh. Got sideswiped on the highway yesterday. Just a few cosmedic scratches, but we did go wheel to wheel... now she shakes like hell between 55 and 70... Checked my ball joints quick yesterday after work. They seemed tight. Tonight I'm going to put her up in the air and give her a proper front end inspection. I'm going to rebalance the wheels while l'm at it... it feels like a wheel out of balance, so I hope I get lucky (even though my weight is still there). Anyway, I'll let you all know what I find. Wish me luck.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
07-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Its good! Everything was tight, but the left front wheel was out of balance by over two ounces! Rebalanced all my wheels and the ride home was mint.
Not worried about the scratches... I'm sure I'll be adding to them during my wheeling adventures! \m/

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
07-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Decided to buy an lsd for my c8.25. Going to do rear axle seals and brakes soon, so I figure since the diff'll be opened up I may as well swap out the open spiders and install something better. Thought long and hard about a locker and decided that would be overkill. My jeep is my dd, that's 99% street driving. I'd just end up rounding the teeth on the locker w/o ever really getting to use it as intended. I'll post pics of this whole operation in a few weeks when I have time to do it.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
08-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Replaced the front sway bar bushings. Left the end links, they seem fine for now. Old bushings were practically nonexistent.

Totally removed the rear sway bar. Bushings and links were fine so those were reinstalled incase I want to put the bar back in the future.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
09-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon158 View Post
Good luck & post lots of pics! I have to do a bunch of the stuff you listed too.
Dragon, have you gotten around to any rebuilding yet? Between work, family and bills I've been short on both time and money lately.

Saving up for rear brakes (drums, wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware) and axle bearings and seals right now. Bought a Posi-lock carrier for my C8.25, but I'm taking the family to Pennsylvania in October... holding off on the carrier swap for now. I don't want to mess with my diff and have something go wrong 400 miles from home, so I'll wait to come home before I swap it. Sucks, would have been nice to do everything all at once when I open the diff, now it'll be opened twice...

Dragon158
View Dragon158's Jeep
09-08-2013, 08:06 PM
I've managed to do a 3" lift, 31's on new aluminum wheels. Also installed a roof rack and CB. Done a couple of maintenance items, t stat, radiator, battery. New head unit & hooked up a dvd system for my 7 year old. Looking to find replacement seats soon and build a hidden floor drawer and relocate and build a sub enclosure. Also selling my 04 rubicon, once that is sold I'll be putting more into the xj. Found some cool tail lights I was thinking of trying, but they are on hold until I find the cash!

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Sounds like you've been busy! But ain't money always the problem? Honestly, though, seems like your rig is coming along nicely. Do you have a build thread? I'd like to see some pics if you have any.

Dragon158
View Dragon158's Jeep
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Don't have a bulid thread, I usually forget to document things when I do them... Here's a pic after the wheels, lift and roof rack.

The lift and wheels made such a huge difference in the look of the XJ, I couldn't be happier with it! My list of future upgrades grows daily, but I'm looking into flares, bumpers, rock rails etc...
Oh, I didn't realize this was a registry thread when I originally posted here, it looked like a regular thread on my iPhone... don't want to junk up your registry posts, so delete anything you want!
And where in PA are you going? I'm in Philly!

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
09-11-2013, 05:13 AM
We're going to Bedford. Wife's friend from college (Duquesne) is getting married in November, so we're heading down to help with whatever. On the way home we're heading to Amish country just north of Philadelphia. I forget the name of the town exactly.

Your XJ looks great, btw. Lift and tires do look good!

Dragon158
View Dragon158's Jeep
09-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Sound like you might be hitting Lancaster, there are a bunch of Amish in that area. Have fun, your wife will probably do a bunch of shopping there, so be prepared!

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
09-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Alright, time for an update:

I bought my XJ back in December or January and it has never had reverse lights. First thing I did was check the bulbs and they were good. Previous owner informed me that there was a button under the dash in case it didn't want to start (no signal to starter). That was my first clue the NSS was no good. Well, 9 months later I finally installed a brand new NSS I got off EBay for $43 shipped. Never been so happy to see backing up at night as I was last night!

Also, I spent a solid 3 plus hours replacing my rear brakes. I know, I know, why the hell did it take me 3 hrs? Well, my left rear axle seal was leaking bad and soaked my shoes and drum. I replaced my seals (both) and replaced drums, shoes, hardware, self adjuster kits, and wheel cylinders on both sides, as well as cleaning the hell out of my backing plates. All said and done, my Jeep has never stopped so well since I've owned it! And, now, my parking brake works, too (now that they are adjusted properly)!

Ok, that's it. For now...

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
10-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Two weekends ago my family and I went on a 400 plus mile trip to Pennsylvania. Put a couple hundred miles on the XJ while there and then 400 plus back. All in all, 1068 miles. She ran like a champ.

She was idling a bit rough when we got there, so I noticed the throttle plate return spring was a bit gummed up. Took out some lithium grease spray and lubed up the spring and linkage. When we got home I decided to give the TB a good and proper cleaning.

Well, after I cleaned the butterfly valve and the IAC she struggled to start then ran ok. So I decided to pull the negative off the battery to clear any IAC adapts. The idle went up then down to almost stall then leveled out at a decent rpm. Unfortunately, I think some carbon got into the inner workings of the IAC, because she'd idle at 1200 cold, 1600 at operating temp. Just to be sure, I tested the MAP and the TPS to rule them out.

Replaced the IAC with a new one from Napa and problem solved. Idle during initial start up did the IAC sweep then she purred for me.

Oh, and I replaced the burned out bulbs for my transmission and transfer case shifters. Pretty cool having all my interior lights working.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
11-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Ok, update time.

Two Mondays ago my p/s pump started growling. I figured it could wait until the weekend... Nope. Jeep had other plans. That same Wednesday the pump started bleeding like a stuck pig when I fired up the XJ to go home from work. I knew I'd never make it home, so I did some emergency surgery. Got a remaned pump from Napa, only my pressure side fitting was seized to the metal line. Tried everything to crack it loose (heat, pb blaster, heat and pb blaster...) nothing worked. Ended up dismantling the old pump so I could unscrew it from the fitting, and dismantling the new pump so I could screw on the new one. Of course, the line couldn't tighen all the way with the bottle on... Some how I had no leak for a week. Crazy.
Let my wife take it one day and she calls me and says, "I can't turn the steering wheel, I thought you fixed it..."
I had some fluid in the back and told her to fill it and get home. Sure enough that d*mn fitting was leaking. Ordered both a pressure and return line from Napa and finally finished the p/s nightmare last night.
Doesn't end there. Thursday night, coming home from work and getting on the highway, jeep's all sluggish getting up to 65. Transmission shifting all wonky and mil comes on. Struggled to keep it over 60 and getting off the highway the rpms are way up. Higher than when I had the bad IAC. I figured I popped a vacuum line or a gasket. Pull into a parking lot and park over a storm drain (p/s still leaking at this point) so I don't leave a mess... (messed up, I know. I'm not proud of that...)
Shut off the XJ, fired it back up and the idle was fine. Soon as I touched the gas the idle shot up again. By the time I got home the jeep was acting fine...
Got to work on Friday (yesterday) and scanned the cpu. P0121, P0700, P0743. P0121 is a TPS code. So I replaced that last night, too. Jeep was great all the way home. Real snappy response to the gas pedal. I figure the TPS has been intermittent for a long while.
The 2 other codes are torque converter related, all caused by faulty TPS readings.

My wife asked me if I bought a lemon. Haha. I told her the PO didn't give a crap about it, now the jeep is getting the love it deserves.

JMH21814
View JMH21814's Jeep
01-05-2014, 12:24 PM
New tires put on. Went from 225/75r15 Maxxis MA1s to 255/70r15 General Grabber AT2s. My tire size calculator lied to me a bit. Said that it would be a 29 x 10 tire, turns out they're a bit larger than that. Now I have some rubbing on my right rear fender and when I turn full lock. No big deal. I'll fix it in the next few days.

Edit:
Fixed the right rear rubbing. It was the outer edge of the tire against the back side of the plastic fender cover. Took a blade and doctored the back. I wanted to leave it on. did the same to the left side, too. Also fixed the full lock rubbing by placing 2 washers under the stoppers. Really trying to keep it looking mostly stock. Will post pics soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.