Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

You drive an MK and know it's a real JEEP when...

10K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  fishgutz 
#1 ·
It's March and you still find specs of mud from last summer inside your Jeep.

Every time the mainstream media is hysterical over the weather conditions during winter storms you wonder what the big deal is.

You find yourself looking forward to the winter storms. Even the regular, daily chores like going to work are always so much more fun during or after them, and finding parking places in the city is effortless.

You have a vehicle that needs no repairs, you can just hop into it and drive to Lapland with it confident that it'll run just fine, but you still find yourself spending tons of money on it.

People think you spent about five times as much on your vehicle than you really did.

You are not unsually wealthy and can actually afford a brand new Jeep. In Finland.

You are not unusually wealthy and can actually afford the fuel to drive your brand new Jeep. In Finland.

You Jeep has decent acceleration on the highway merging lane, corners like a sports car during spirited city driving, and still gets you wherever you need to go in the snow storms or at the countryside.

You've ever wondered how well a JK hard top would fit your Patriot if you'd cut off the factory roof, and what kind of quick disconnectors would be needed for the cables to the doors.

(If you live in Finland, you've ever been enraged by the stupid bureaucratic restrictions the government places on what you can and can not do to your own bloody vehicle. Whaddaya mean I need to keep the doors and require a permit to convert the Jeep to a convertible...)

You feel that comments on how the MK is not a "real Jeep" are about as impolite as negative comments about your girlfriends appearance. You feel an urge to reply to both in a similar manner, too.

Your MK might not be perfect but it's still your Jeep and you'll be damned if you ever sell it!

It's a Jeep MK thing and you really do understand. :)

See less See more
#38 ·
When a Wrangler owner visiting the same dealership compliments your MK with "Nice rig"...and means it!:cheers2:

#41 ·
When you take your Patriot on a trail run with your off road club and it does better than a TJ on AT tires

When your Patriot earns some trail pinstripes

When your Patriot earns a Trail Badge from your off road club

When your Patriot is used as an anchor point to winch a Suzuki Samurai that slid off the trail

#42 ·
when in Technical Inspection Agency they say, that "yes, we can test 4x4 and AWD vehicles. ...as long as they are not Jeeps (newer than 2000). Jeep's 4x4-systems are too smart for our test-equipment. It doesn't matter, that it's a MK. You have to go to another Agency for inspection, sorry."

#43 ·
i have a patriot and a modified yj. its strange, when im in the yj with the top off and having a blast, im thinking that patriot aint a real jeep. yet when im in the patriot passing numerous stuck vehicles in DEEP snow to get home from work, im thinking man, im sure glad i have a jeep..........

#46 ·
When your parking lot is not cleaned up, and the parking guard is pleased he didn't have to clean it, and you are pleased he didn't clean it.

#50 ·
Those are Cibié Turini Apollo cornering lights. Very large, yes, but in my opinion large lights seem to fit the Patriot pretty well. :) And the amount of light they put out is phenomenal! An extremely wide light beam, but that's the way I like it.

#54 ·
...when after snow storm in the morning arriving to work, in the parking lot co-workers are happy, because you drive tracks into the snow and enable them also to park without shoveling.

#56 ·
I just read every word yall posted and i cant agree more with you fellas. I drive a LJ mildly modded and I dont ever look down on MK owners! If i had to sell my jeep i would get a Patriot and you guys that wheel yalls MK have my just as much of my respect as the modified jk on 35's.

Keep on wheelin brothers and god bless!!! :cheers2:

#58 ·
When your kids ask to use your Jeep to make a 90 mile round trip during a "stay off the roads" advisory to get a grand kid to a karate tournament and they have no problems. 8 foot drifts reported in some areas.

#60 ·
I read LOTS of magazines, JP magazine calls the patriot a disgrace. they call it dilution of the "brand" but guess what, my pat can go further than any other vehicle in its class. Check out expiditions west test of the pat FDII, it hauls in the bush really. I like the fact that most real jeep owners think its a jeep too. I guess the mag writers are posers. I have the RRO lift, Rock rails, Roof rack with Hella HID lights up there, and im getting a custom front grill guard built this spring. Im afriad to winch mount it, i dont trust unibody for winching.

But a JEEP it is! and i fly my jeep flag proudly. I will be getting a sahara unlimited next, but the pat is paid off, so its staying for wheeling too.

we have no "ROCK CRAWLING" so a "real" jeep is not really needed, just something with good clearance, tires, and stuff.

#61 ·
when in winter, when there's a lot of snow,
you answer to the question "Did you find a parking space?"
casually, that "Sure, there were lots of free unused parking spaces ..."
and add after small pause "...because others do not dare to park into unplowed spots :D"

#62 ·
For me it was driving around after 18" of snow. Snow packed roads. I didn't regret choosing the Patriot for the Christmas trip rather than my JKUR. (Though I did miss the cruise control on the long stretches of highway)
The ESP and front drive handled the snow beautifully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.