Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

You drive an MK and know it's a real JEEP when...

10K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  fishgutz 
#1 ·
It's March and you still find specs of mud from last summer inside your Jeep.

Every time the mainstream media is hysterical over the weather conditions during winter storms you wonder what the big deal is.

You find yourself looking forward to the winter storms. Even the regular, daily chores like going to work are always so much more fun during or after them, and finding parking places in the city is effortless.

You have a vehicle that needs no repairs, you can just hop into it and drive to Lapland with it confident that it'll run just fine, but you still find yourself spending tons of money on it.

People think you spent about five times as much on your vehicle than you really did.

You are not unsually wealthy and can actually afford a brand new Jeep. In Finland.

You are not unusually wealthy and can actually afford the fuel to drive your brand new Jeep. In Finland.

You Jeep has decent acceleration on the highway merging lane, corners like a sports car during spirited city driving, and still gets you wherever you need to go in the snow storms or at the countryside.

You've ever wondered how well a JK hard top would fit your Patriot if you'd cut off the factory roof, and what kind of quick disconnectors would be needed for the cables to the doors.

(If you live in Finland, you've ever been enraged by the stupid bureaucratic restrictions the government places on what you can and can not do to your own bloody vehicle. Whaddaya mean I need to keep the doors and require a permit to convert the Jeep to a convertible...)

You feel that comments on how the MK is not a "real Jeep" are about as impolite as negative comments about your girlfriends appearance. You feel an urge to reply to both in a similar manner, too.

Your MK might not be perfect but it's still your Jeep and you'll be damned if you ever sell it!

It's a Jeep MK thing and you really do understand. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well said! :thumbsup:

Let me add one more. You don't care that the city snow plows just filled in the lower part of your drive way just after you finished shoveling, you just drive over/threw it.:D

#6 ·
When you are at a stop sign and people can't accelerate through the intersection because of ice; yet when it's your turn, you just proceed like you're on dry pavement.

You're actually a little upset Winnipeg hasn't had a really big snow fall like in past years.

You see other people in SUVs and trucks taking short cuts through small snow fields and follow with ease.

#8 ·
This is a very winter focused list, isn't it? Now that it's (theoretically, at least) summer, time to update it I think:

During spring time you come to what is supposed to be a public road but looks more like a muddy potato field, think "no problem" and just carry on. (Regular cars needed a tractor to plow the worst of the mud off the road before they could get back from the shooting range and even then it looked like the conditions were about the worst they could handle. Our biggest concern was that we didn't get photos of the road before they plowed it to show what we just drove through.)

Spring time flooding is not a problem.

Where others see a problem (snow, mud etc.), you see fun.

You have a perfectly functional and powerful air conditioning, but prefer to drive with all windows down for that open-air feeling instead.

You have a thick layer of sand inside your Jeep because you spent the day off-roading in dusty conditions with all the windows down.

Missing your turn on a road trip is not a problem but rather an opportunity to drive on yet another unpaved back road.

Your list of modifications to do just keeps growing.

#11 ·
Actually I toss at him for the part he found for me got my part put it in my compass and left.

I am currently in the restoration process of a M38A1 55 Willys, the wrangler person I know and punched knew someone with a part i needed . which was the left side exhuast manifold for the orginall willys f head hurricane engine. Only time I have seen him is when were out mudding as I have a nice little TJ I been working on . I show up in my compass and he is 1 of the 5 wrangler owners who cant just accept a compass and started to pick on it. Personally when it comes to me jeeps I have a short temper so i socked him in the gut.

While my compass is only 2wd I think she been quite good looking by time i get some of the simple things done like a lift and some extra lights lol make me feel like I am driving my WJ again.

#12 ·
So we actually have the first confirmed incident of an MK owner punching someone because of their attitude towards the vehicle? :laugh:

Hey - violence is an underrated method of solving problems. :)

"Jeep Patriot / Jeep Compass. Love it, shut up, or bleed." Works for me. :)

#18 ·
as a owner of a lesser liked jeep (XJ) I will say, a MK owner who uses his/her jeep for its intended purpose will get more respect from me than a TJ/JK owner who crawls the mall parking lot. its a JEEP thing... Not a TJ thing, not a WJ thing, not a JK thing, but a JEEP thing....

#19 ·
i pretty much agree with that. I'd give more props to someone sticking it out on a trail with a patriot than some **** with 35s on a tj thats never seen the mud. btw, samurai...the XJ is a jeep i have mad respect for. :cheers:

#20 ·
Thanks you guys, it's always nice to hear that kind of talk from other Jeep owners! There are always a few *******s out there that create problems for the rest of us. Know your limits, know your vehicles limits and have a good time!

#25 ·
Jeep was derived from GP which stood for General Purpose (vehicle). It certainly suits more of my needs than any speciality vehicle could and still stay in my budget.

#33 ·
You Know It"s A Real Jeep When....

You survive BOTH days at a Jeep Jamboree event and six seperate times to Badlands in attica Indiana. :D

We had people with much more worthy vehicles at the Jamboree and they didn't want to go out the second day fearing damage. :rolleyes:

#34 ·
...you're hiking in a forest and your dog, being an idiot, decides that walking on thin ice is fun, and thus proceeds to fall through the ice into dirty, smelly, muddy, disgusting water up to her ears - and the thought of worrying about the interior of your vehicle never even crosses your mind. ("Hey, it's a Jeep - I'll just brush the mud off the seat afterwards.")

...you're spending an entire day in an action shooting sports competition and the weather is lousy - wet, windy and cold. So you pop the hatch, sit down under it with your girlfriend to get out of the rain and wind for a while and heat MREs on the floorboard of your cargo space. A built-in rain cover in your Jeep and a warm meal in your stomach - what could be better? Next shooter on the line! :)

...you regularly toss in the back two weeks worth of groceries, plenty of shooting gear, or other such items (in addition to the recovery, emergency and other gear that sits permanently in the Jeep) and never have to worry about running out of cargo space.

...you get cranky if life keeps you indoors and your Jeep on asphalt for a while.

...you try to negotiate with the folks who run the shooting range when they close the access road due to its poor condition. "Yes, I know there's weather damage - but I have four wheel drive, I don't mind!" Driving on a used-to-be-a-road = fun. Carrying the rifle bag, range bag, ammo box, target bag, etc. two klicks in the mud... not so much.

...your MK never remains clean for long. Even though you think that you've not managed to get to anywhere fun for ages, there's always some mysterious mud spray that after further contemplation might have come from that one teeny tiny little shortcut you sort of forgot you took. :)

...you've long since stopped worrying about reports of poor conditions when thinking about heading out. The only thing that matters anymore is whether you feel like going or not, and whether you have enough free time for it. You KNOW your Jeep can handle it! :)

...that damn list of modifications you want to do to your vehicle just keeps getting longer... :rolleyes:

...minor scraping sounds from the undercarriage when off-roading don't really matter anymore. "Hmm, reckon' that there rock was higher than I thought... Oh well."

...the speaker panel of your lift gate has a gouge and stubborn soot stains from where you last packed the fire box of your tent. The rest of the plastic interior is likewise marked by other wilderness gear. The rear doors plastic is scraped from where you loaded and unloaded your fridge. You do not care about the scuff marks, as the trip was very much worth them.

#35 ·
...the speaker panel of your lift gate has a gouge and stubborn soot stains from where you last packed the fire box of your tent. The rest of the plastic interior is likewise marked by other wilderness gear. The rear doors plastic is scraped from where you loaded and unloaded your fridge. You do not care about the scuff marks, as the trip was very much worth them.
You mean theres actually some plastic under all of them scratches? :rofl:

Heres mine.

You turn on the rear defroster because your rear window is foggy. When it doesn't clear up, you realize it was not fog. Just the dryed up drool from mans best friend. :2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.