yay or nay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > yay or nay?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yay or nay?

Imagine this on the front of a black compass with snow tires....yay or nay?

07-09 Jeep Compass Bull Bar Grille Guard Bumper Nudge S:eBay Motors (item 120472209296 end time Jan-19-10 08:44:13 PST)

Unread 01-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I would prefer black. The stainless would be OK on a limited. Just my opinion.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just not sure how it would look on one of them in person. If it werent so expensive, I'd try it out and just re-sell it if I don't like it. Somehow I don't believe I'd like it
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'd want one that protects the headlights and fog lights too. I'm not sure of the mounting and how sturdy it would be. It could keep your license plate from getting scratched.

Unread 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it looks nice...I would want it in black as well...it wouldnt protect much, but hey, its a compass right? (j/k)
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

nay

I would like it more if it went higher up the grill protecting the grill and the bumper. I don't hate it but......seems a little to euro elegant for my taste. Maybe it's because it is chrome. I might like it better in black.

Still, if I had $250.00 to spend on my MK I could think of at least 5 other items I would like to add first.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I would prefer black. The stainless would be OK on a limited.
Do you mean that the stainless would go better with that silver bumper I see on some MK's? In that case, I would have to disagree. The combination of a black vehicle and stainless bull bar might look quite nice. The silver bumper might lessen the effect, in my opinion, by being an unneeded distraction.

I say yay, as long as there are no other decorative modifications done to the front of the vehicle (that is, the front is totally black otherwise). Too much shiny is tacky, a little bit makes for a nice accent.

(Oh and Ledge, I would think the entire Compass is an "euro elegant" vehicle...? )
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

for some reason I am going to have to say nay....I know...i posted the thread for opinion...but for some reason it just doesnt look right...maybe if someone made an aftermarket front bumper for the compass it would look ok......but i just dont like it...sorry for wasting your time guys, lol
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
Do you mean that the stainless would go better with that silver bumper I see on some MK's? In that case, I would have to disagree. The combination of a black vehicle and stainless bull bar might look quite nice. The silver bumper might lessen the effect, in my opinion, by being an unneeded distraction.

I say yay, as long as there are no other decorative modifications done to the front of the vehicle (that is, the front is totally black otherwise). Too much shiny is tacky, a little bit makes for a nice accent.

(Oh and Ledge, I would think the entire Compass is an "euro elegant" vehicle...? )
I was thinking along the lines of it blending in with the silver treatment on the Limited and to NOT stand out. Different stokes for different folks. I like all black rigs! To me, all black is the ultimate bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
for some reason I am going to have to say nay....I know...i posted the thread for opinion...but for some reason it just doesnt look right...maybe if someone made an aftermarket front bumper for the compass it would look ok......but i just dont like it...sorry for wasting your time guys, lol
Sometimes ya' just need to put something out there so that you can kick it around with others!

Unread 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

i vote nay
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
i vote nay
same here. It just doesnt look right to me...i've got the mod bug so the search continues
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post

Yes...Yes I do believe you are right, the Compass is euro elegant IMHO. I guess that is why I decided on the Patriot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Compass hater, I just have always preferred a more square type design in any vehicle I've owned. Just personal choice...no hate

I also agree that if you have a completely black MK the touch of chrome would look better. I would prefer black because I have a Green MK and I don't think the chrome would look as good on that color. My personal issue with this item is more in the design than finish. If I was going to put a guard like that on my Jeep I would want it to protect the grill too and possibly even some headlight guards. I don't really offroad but I have been known to drive a fire trail through the woods to get to a hunting spot and some sort of brush guard might be nice.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
same here. It just doesnt look right to me...i've got the mod bug so the search continues
If you just want to improve the appearance of your vehicle, have you seen this? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/c...0/#post7640117

The pictures in that thread fail to show the full effect though... I'll have to see if I can't find a better one. Perhaps this one?

Or from further away:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Compass hater, I just have always preferred a more square type design in any vehicle I've owned. Just personal choice...no hate
Ditto. Well, that, and I think the cargo space and hatch shape may be somewhat more practical in the Patriot.
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

not sure if the whole chrome idea is my style. But hey its worth a try. I can always re-sell on ebay

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.