XJ guy looking at the Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > XJ guy looking at the Patriot

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ guy looking at the Patriot

I have had my XJ for nine years and have modded it into a decent off road
4x4. The thing is I want it to last for a long time and the current price of gas has me looking for something else as a daily driver. Today I drove a Patriot
2.4L 4x4 Sport and I was very suprised. I was afraid it was going to feel too small and that the ride and comfort would leave a lot to be desired. Actually it turned out just the oppsite. The ride was nice and the interior felt very roomy and comfortable. I can see myself driving this as a DD. My big problem is that I also like the awd Subaru Legacy 2.5i and the Chevy Cobalt SS turbo. Since I plan on keeping the XJ I can not decide if I want a car or another vehicle so close (design wise) to the XJ.

Since this is a JEEP site I thought you folks could give me some reasons that I may not have thought of for buying the Patriot.

Last edited by xjken99; 07-25-2008 at 05:51 PM..
xjken99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

If I were going to hang on to the XJ then my DD would be something very good on gas like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. That is just MHO.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

we have both an XJ (mine) and the patriot (wifes).. see sig for details. we are both in the medical field and live in the snow belt.. and we get no snow days off so we needed 4wd and decent clearance on both our vehicles.

as youve already found out, it actually feels bigger inside than the XJ.

very nice ride, goes and handles in snow better than my XJ (and I have the 242 selectrac), great MPG (average 28, gets over 30 straight highway).

passengers in the rear like the reclining seats, the adjustable height front seat is nice (the wife and I like different heights of course), the fold down front passenger seat has come in more handy than either of us would of though and weve used the 110 outlet quite a few times (not a big deal as you can get 12v powered 110 watt ones pretty cheap). just creature comforts, those but nice anyway.

lifetime power train warranty is a big one. autostick is fun (mine doesnt have it, just a "L" position, but all the 08s and up have em).

we are both jeep fans so it was a no brainer. we looked at the compass but its windshield slopes down inside and neither of us liked that.

did you test one with 17" wheels? it feels more stable than the 16s.

lift kits are starting to come out for patriots (nothing as high as XJs obviously). Gramps has one on his compass, so if you want gas mileage plus a bit more off road capabilities, you can go that route also (not to mention the trail rated patriot with more clearance, skids and such).

Last edited by CharBroiled; 07-25-2008 at 02:29 PM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I will have to look at the brochure a little closer, I didn't realize the rear seats recline. Is that on all the Patriots or do you have to step up to a Limited?

As good as Hondas and Toyotas may be I can not own one, although the Civic SI is pretty nice.
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

All the backseats 'recline' like up to 45 degrees even the Caliber

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

very nice ride, goes and handles in snow better than my XJ (and I have the 242 selectrac), great MPG (average 28, gets over 30 straight highway).

When you say you average 28 what kind of percentage of city to highway driving is that?

I did find the part in the brochure about the rear seats reclining. Does any other manufacturer offer that convience in the rear seats?

I would want the 5-speed tranny, FD 1 package and the two local dealers I went to this week only had autos. I would really like to drive the stick.
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
UTAH

2007 Patriot 4x4 Ltd. w/FD II

When I was shopping for a small SUV I checked out the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4. I think they've got the Patriot beat on quality - and just feel more solid and well-built. They are more expensive than the Patriot and you can really see that in the interiors with the quality of the materials used.

I ended up buying two Patriots - one for myself and one for my mother. Frankly, it came down to price and what you get for it. For the price of a base CRV or RAV4 I was able to buy loaded Patriots.

Bill
Unread 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken99 View Post
When you say you average 28 what kind of percentage of city to highway driving is that?

I would want the 5-speed tranny, FD 1 package and the two local dealers I went to this week only had autos. I would really like to drive the stick.
the 28 figure is for almost all back roads and hardly any highways at all. I live in the country so its mostly winding roads and lots of hills. speeds are around 40-50, very few traffic lights. also thats with the AC on almost all the time.

5 speed should do better, I think it gets a mile or two better.
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
justinwalden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken99 View Post
although the Civic SI is pretty nice.
yeah but it only takes 91 octane
Unread 07-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
xjken99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The octane is not not big a deal, the same time I drove the Patriot I drove the Caliber SRT plus I also like the Colbalt SS both of which premium is recomended/required. Thats my problem, I have one Jeep, do I want another one or do I want a car that is a little more sporting.
Unread 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
If I were going to hang on to the XJ then my DD would be something very good on gas like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. That is just MHO.
....and to add to that, i have my Compass 4X4 and i'm keeping my Toyota Corolla as a DD.

while my Compass DOES get 20-24 mpgs combined, it's hard to beat 34-36 mpgs to and from work........
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ah, this is a hard call man. I have a 94 XJ and it will probably be towed to the junkyard after the State Troopers finally say to me "Son, it's time to let her go. We'll call the tow truck for you if you can't handle it yourself."

With that said, the Patriot is fun, relatively cheap, and gets good gas mileage for a 4x4. Since you plan to keep the XJ and live in OH (I attended grad school at Kent State), you could get a 4x2 version with a 5-speed. You may have to do a lot of looking for one or order it via a dealership but you would be maximizing your MPG's while not spending unnecessary $$ on a 4x4 system you don't necessarily need. When we were looking for our Patriot I considered getting one from NE Ohio since the in-laws live in that are and they have a lot of dealerships. It was also the only place close to relatives that had 5-speeds available on dealer lots.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
jtscuba02
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I purchased the 4x2 sport this past weekend. It is so nice to drive something with an automatic tranny and a stereo that you can hear. Plus i just filled it up and it only cost 41 dollars. I got 26.3 mpg, thats hwy and city combined, with the ac on. Whole lot more room than my tj and mustang. The best 15 grand i have spent so far.jt
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My husband and I love ours-both of us bought 5spd sport Patriots-

We took ours on vacation-got 33mpg on the highway with mine, driving 60-65 on average with 4 bikes on the back (no a/c-but with windows and moon roof open). SO PSYCHED!! You cannot beat this truck in the snow. It just keeps going like a little tank. I like the look of the 17's, but have the 16's and they're fine.

I honestly think Jeep should advertise the Patriot and the Compass more...especially for the fuel economy...
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.