Wrangler vs. Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Wrangler vs. Patriot

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler vs. Patriot

I've had my TJ and love it. I'm looking at the Patriot though for the better mileage and all around practical use of it. I want to know what people's plusses are of the patriot and if ya'll have had any regrets trading or getting one.

OlllllllO http://dirtroad.com/jeepwave/ I wave
wahooz04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

we love ours. about thing only thing my wife dislikes is the headrests and somewhat limited visibility looking towards the side/back for lane changes. its not that bad but there are a couple blind spots. the passenger headrest obstructs the view a bit out the passanger rear window depending on the seat position. the center armrest isnt long enough or forward enough for my tastes but other than that is very comfortable.

its got decent power for a 4 banger but Im used to a bit more oomph of the line. I dont feel unsafe merging onto the highway or anything, Im just used to V8s or the cherokees I6.

its the wifes jeep and its forbidden to go off road, we live in a hill town and get lots of snow and lousy plowing so we need a 4x4 just for that.. so I cant comment on its off road ability but the trail rated version has got very good reviews for its off road ability vs other crossover 4x4s

I like the automatic all wheel drive and being able to disable the ESP both partially and totally is a plus as well as being able to lock the front and rear axles together in the deep snow via the "lock" switch.

its very quite and smooth on the road. feels very stable in corners (and I tend to push it speed wise).

I also like the side airbags.

the stock stereo is pretty decent and if you get the fold down front seat its got a decent amount of cargo space.
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
hunter44102

I have both a Patriot and a Wrangler TJ Saraha.

They are two different animals.

The Wrangler sure feel more like an Offroad/truck vehicle, and feels much higher off the ground, with much better visibility in all directions because its shorter. Its a very fun vehicle to drive, but overkill for mostly road driving, and you pay for it in Gas mileage.

The Patriot drives much nicer on the road, like a car. Much quieter and better for cruising, but still has some off-road capability. It gets so much better gas mileage that it has become our main commuting vehicle. I have been saving about $50 a month on Gas since getting the Patriot. (we drive about 500+ miles per month)

I can't compare the transmissions because my Wrangler is a 5 speed and the Patriot is a CVT Automatic.

The 5 speed is probably better on the Patriot because you get more power, but we got the Automatic so my Wife doesn't have to learn stick.
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Pigshanks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Same as Hunter, I have them both. 02 TJ and 07 Pat. But it is comparing apples to watermelon. The Pat has a car like ride which is nice after driving the TJ, a fair amount of storage, and the awesome fuel economy(29-31mp(Canadian)g ) But you will see a TJ in places that a Pat won't go. But both are Jeeps so it don't really matter which one you have, you'll enjoy either one.

07 Patriot North
Pigshanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I knew there would be a big difference. When I test drove it I loved it. 5 speed felt good but like you said, I'm used to a V8 or I6 also. I could get used to it quick though. I loved the sound system in it with the Boston Acoustics. The sunroof was a plus. The fold down seats are perfect for my dogs to hop in the back and have a whole lot more room and not have my GF worrying about them jumping out one of the windows like she does in the TJ. I don't do alot of off roading either. The most I did with the TJ was a trail on a country road here with a couple of mudholes deepest being about 2 feet. Just basically playing.

OlllllllO http://dirtroad.com/jeepwave/ I wave
wahooz04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.