Wiring Hitch Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Wiring Hitch Harness

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Wiring Hitch Harness

Need to install a wiring harness for 08 Compass. Has anyone ever done this themselves? If so, where did you link the wiring into and where did you get your kit?
Much appreciated!

DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i got my kit off of e-trailer.com. cheaper than OEM, and comes with a T-harness for the tailights so there's no splicing. only thing you have to do is run a wire to the front of the car to the battery, although someone on here once said that there is already a fused power source dedicated to the trailer wiring somewhere near the rear of the car.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Thank you, I appreciate the info. I'll do some shopping online soon and get to pulling.
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Draw-Tite T-ONE harnesses are hard to beat. Easy to install and high quality.

Part# 118428

Installation instructions available here...

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...05&part=118428
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
i got my kit off of e-trailer.com. cheaper than OEM, and comes with a T-harness for the tailights so there's no splicing. only thing you have to do is run a wire to the front of the car to the battery, although someone on here once said that there is already a fused power source dedicated to the trailer wiring somewhere near the rear of the car.
There is. I used it instead of running the wire from back to front. Once the driver's side taillamp assembly is off pull the rubber grommet in the sidewall out that the harness comes through. In behind it you will find a small harness taped to the main harness. That is what is used for the factory tow option. Just tap there for your power. Already fused off the main panel. At least on Patriot models anwyay. Can't remember the color but it is a thin wire with a hard plug on the end.

Here are some tips from when I wired up my Patriot with a T-One harness. Some or all should apply to the OP's 08 Compass...

Quote:
NOTES & TIPS T-ONE INSTALL:

1 - Spend the $10 and go buy a panel clip tool if you don't have one!!! It makes removing the clips for the tail lights so much easier and faster. I used to have one but couldn't find it. I tried without it but finally just said screw this and went and grabbed one. BIG difference! Every Patriot owner should have one if for no other reason than to change a tail light bulb if needed.

2 - I used the factory tow harness wire that is behind the driver's side tail light wiring harness grommet. My only concern is how thin that wire is. Not sure what kind of draw will be on it? I think in say a couple weeks I might pull the housing and grommet out to check it and see if I can detect any signs of overload? I know that is the factory hook up spot but I am not sure what kind of draw this aftermarket kit has? The factory circuit has a 20 AMP fuse though and the T-ONE kit uses a 10 AMP on the power wire feed so I believe it will be ok.

3 - They have you attach the ground screw on the little flat area inside the driver's tail light pocket. The metal there is very THIN and it strips out super easy. I actually had to do 3 holes to get it to take. I was ready to extend the wire and go down under neath when I got the 3rd attempt to hold. I suggest using a drill bit one size smaller than the 3/32 the directions call for( I think it is a 5/64? )as 3/32 seemed to be almost too big. You can use a drill of some type to start the screw but be sure you finish it by hand and do not overdo it. Again, it strips out super easy.

4 - The directions call for you to mount the module underneath the vehicle on the frame. That is NUTS IMO as it puts it right where it will get splashed with everything from water, snow, and slush to mud, sand, and etc... Plus it will get covered in salt here as well during the winter months. Not a good recipe for longevity for a sensitive electrical device like that IMO. There is actually enough room to mount it to the inside of the driver's tail light pocket( on the inside cargo area side ). It fits right between the two sockets on the lamp housing if you get it in the right spot. Takes a little work to get everything to sit in the right spot so it fits but it does have enough room and there is no stress on the light when all is lined up right.

5 - When routing the green wire over to the passenger side check to see if your hitch frame is hollow. Mine was so I was able to run the wire right through the frame body. This keeps it safe and secure and no need to wire tie it up.
Active Drive I
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Draw-Tite T-ONE harnesses are hard to beat. Easy to install and high quality.

Part# 118428

Installation instructions available here...

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...05&part=118428
yup, that's the one that i have (or one just like it). installation was a sinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
There is. I used it instead of running the wire from back to front. Once the driver's side taillamp assembly is off pull the rubber grommet in the sidewall out that the harness comes through. In behind it you will find a small harness taped to the main harness. That is what is used for the factory tow option. Just tap there for your power. Already fused off the main panel. At least on Patriot models anwyay. Can't remember the color but it is a thin wire with a hard plug on the end.

Here are some tips from when I wired up my Patriot with a T-One harness. Some or all should apply to the OP's 08 Compass...
i couldn't remember who it was who told me about that, thanks. sure is a lot easier than running a power line all the way to the front.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I actually checked the wire I taped into the other day to see how it has held up and it is just fine. I have towed my boat a lot so it has got plenty of use.
Active Drive I
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
vinniej

I have the OEM kit from my wife's compass if anyone is interested. It does require routing to the front, but it is a pre-made harness and all needed items included.
vinniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
vinniej

I was way wrong. The kit I have (PN 68082800AA) ties in at the rear only. Factory connectors, no wires to splice or run to the front.
vinniej is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.