Winter Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Winter Tires

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
deepnite10

Winter Tires

i just got my Patriot out of the shop to replace the front bumper cover..
the Geolander HT s just would nt hold on the snow and ice and i ended up
tapping the rear end of a flatbed lumber truck

hopefully this weekend will be better..as we re headed back up to the
mountains..this time with siped Geolander s..

just wondering what any of you would recommend that would be a good
snow tire that i could drive on year round..

Last edited by deepnite10; 12-30-2009 at 04:21 PM..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And your tire size is 16 or 17 ???

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
deepnite10

16 s , bob..currently i have 215/70 s on the wheels..and though
the Geolanders say they re All Weather..they suck in the snow
and ice..

hopefully having them siped will help a bit this weekend..if not i ll be
shopping a dedicated winter tire next yr..
Unread 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The popular sizes are listed here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/o...34/index6.html

In the 215/70-16 sizes

Dedicated winter:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice

On/Off Road All terrain:
BFG All Terrain T/A KO
Fuzion XTi
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Yoko Geo A/T-S
General Grabber AT 2

I will be going to my 16" wheels before next winter hits too. I don't want to do a dedicated tire because of storage constraints so I'm looking at the On/Off Road tires in that size, too. If I decided to stay with a 29" I could easily go with the 235/70-16 Firestone Destination AT. We put those on my wife's '03 Grand Cherokee, before she got the '06, and they were great!

Unread 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My buddy has a subaru wrx, and he has to work quite hard to lose traction. That being said, they will likely give you more control around corners, and make starts easier. While they may help you stop a bit better, they may give you too much confidence in their ability to do so. The best thing you can do is not go too fast for conditions, and stop several car lengths before you have to. This way you don't end up like the guy who rear-ended my cherokee a couple weeks ago, who has a hit with an insurance claim, and a ticket. My wife had to go to the ER because she hit her head so hard on the seat back. I have been going to the chiropractor. We were stopped at a light, and didn't even see it coming.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm trying to help, but re-thinking your driving habits will be the most effective thing you can do at this point, as even the best tires in the world can't make up for bad habits like tailgating or driving too fast/stopping too late in bad weather. People can really get hurt.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

AND... nothing short of studded tires or chains help that much on ice, although some are better than others. Please read the reviews, Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels is a good place to compare and so is 1010TIRES.COM® — Tires and Wheels Absolute Authority.

My slide off the other week was on about a 2" layer of ice at maybe 2mph sideways right into a ditch. I was just trying to get going again after stopping to help someone stick in a snow drift.

Unread 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

I put blizzak's on last month right before the snow hit and they make the MK the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. This is my first winter with the MK so I don't know how other brands would stack up to the blizzak but I can't imagine them being any better. I've got several thousand miles on them already this year in some pretty nasty conditions and not once have I had any issues with stopping, starting, or control.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my question is, how noisy are the blizzaks? I almost went to the tire shop to get some and that question popped in my mind. Im still running the factory tires and the snow is started to get worse here
Unread 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

My OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires were dangerous on ice. I find the Michelin X-Ice xi2 to be pretty good. I feel more secure with dedicated winter tires but this is Canada.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
deepnite10

the daughter is moving up into Modoc county where it snows pretty
regularly..i got a set of the Blizzaks based on the Tirerack reviews..

now that i ve gotten the Geolander HT s siped..maybe they ll hold better in the snow..if not im now eying the BFG ATs or Geolander ATs..whatever one i can get the best deal on..
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A little side note for those with 18". There is a better variety out there now and they do make several "winter" tires in a 225/60-18. Maybe I'll run some dedicated tires after all. Still no decent AT type tires but that's what the 16's are for.

I think the selection on tires has improved considerably since I first started looking a few years ago.

Unread 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
my question is, how noisy are the blizzaks? I almost went to the tire shop to get some and that question popped in my mind. Im still running the factory tires and the snow is started to get worse here
The bizzaks are definitely louder than the stock wrangler SR-A's my MK came with, but much safer (The SR-A's are an absolute joke in the snow). They hum pretty good on the highway. They remind me of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA's I used to have on my truck. The Michelins are supposed to be quieter but they were also $100.00 more when I was looking.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
The bizzaks are definitely louder than the stock wrangler SR-A's my MK came with, but much safer (The SR-A's are an absolute joke in the snow). They hum pretty good on the highway. They remind me of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA's I used to have on my truck. The Michelins are supposed to be quieter but they were also $100.00 more when I was looking.
yea, these tires are pretty pathetic in the snow, and sometimes even in the rain, im definitely switching to something more knobby
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
65CrewCabPW

I know you said you wanted year-round tires... But no good snow tire sould be driven in the summer.

HERE IS THE BEST TRUCK SNOW TIRES YOU CAN GET...

Cooper Discoverer M+S.

You can get them in 215-70-16's. I've used several sets of them over the years. They are fantastic in snow, ice, slush, rain.

They have the very soft compound rubber, a gazillion stripes, excellent tread pattern, and the soft rubber compound goes all the way to the cords... The tires lose little performance as they wear, unlike, say Blizzaks, which only have a little bit of the tire surface with good compound and then it goes to the harder.

And, they are good truck tires, too. Very strong, durable, tough.
65CrewCabPW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
deepnite10

those Cooper s look fantastic..the siping looks alot like the Blizzaks cept
alot meatier tread..

tomorrow i ll be headed up to the snow with the newly siped Yoko s..if they
don t work out i ll atleast have several options..

Tags
compass , patriot , tires , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.