Why did you buy a compass? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Why did you buy a compass?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

Pay no mind to the Homophobes that believe Patriots are for boys and Compasses are for girls. Very Jr.High-ish.
Ha ha neither really gets much respect and I like both. I don't care though, if it's 4wd, says Jeep on the hood and has a 7 slot grill I'm happy. Doesn't take many mods to make it clear it ain't no "girly Jeep" anyway!

Unread 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
4x4 gets a half inch from stiffer springs and the 215/65-17's give a half inch over other tire options. it used to be prior to 2011 that the all the non FDII had the same springs, but now all 4x4's (fdi and FDII) have the same springs.
That's good to know about the stiffer springs for the 4x4! We just traded in our 12 KK because the suspension (springs) sucked so bad! My MK handles/rides great!

I was given a Caliber the other day as a loaner while my Compass was getting undercoated. The suspension on that thing (w/20k miles) was awful! Felt like my old KK. Floaty and all over the road. I also didn't like the CVT in it. It felt like an old automatic transmission slipping real bad! I don't know how you folks tolerate it! LOL!
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

it took me about a week of driving it to get used to the style. But I actually like it a lot.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #19
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
I don't think so. I believe a FDII patriot can do about 90% of what an unmodified wrangler can do. even if I bought a wrangler, I wouldn't have the means to do modifications, so that is what I am comparing it to. The wrangler is a far superior off road machine, but the patriot is quite capable in its own right. its serious limitation is ground clearance.

Now if you are talking about a heavily modified wrangler, then there is no contest, but we are not, at least I am not.

How many unmodified wranglers are there on the VJC? basically none. People constantly compare the patriot to their build buggy, or a top of the line rubicon with a 4" lift and 35" tires. Well obvious the patriot is not going to be able to keep up with that. I have taken mine on 1 3 rated trail, and had to be pulled off a couple of rocks... But I Think I have learned how to be a better driver (that was over a year ago) and I think I would do much better. I haven't done one since because I either have my whole family with me, haven't found anybody to go off roading with, or cannot dedicate the time as I usually have less than half a day to go out and come back.
Im glad you like your car, and I understand getting tired of hearing its not a real jeep, I drive a Liberty and have heard the same...But still your not even close on the 90% of what a stock Wrangler can do. I would say a Liberty(along with Tacoma, Xterra, FJ) can do close to the 80-90% mark. But the Patriot and Compass are essentially cars, still Jeeps mind you, but car platform. They are FWD biased and do not have a transfer case and independent front and back. That is the price you pay for better gas mileage and road manners They do just fine for what most people would want to do off road, but so could a Subaru if we are being honest. Using your example you say you did 1-3 level off road and had some issues on 3s...so that alone says you can do almost 60% of what a Wrangler can do, which is not bad by the way and would suite the majority of the people on the road today just fine. I think they are fine Jeeps for what they are and meant to be used for so dont think Im putting them down, I just dont want somebody thinking about getting one to get the wrong impression and end up not liking it because it would not do more than it was designed to do.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
Im glad you like your car, and I understand getting tired of hearing its not a real jeep, I drive a Liberty and have heard the same...But still your not even close on the 90% of what a stock Wrangler can do. I would say a Liberty(along with Tacoma, Xterra, FJ) can do close to the 80-90% mark. But the Patriot and Compass are essentially cars, still Jeeps mind you, but car platform. They are FWD biased and do not have a transfer case and independent front and back. That is the price you pay for better gas mileage and road manners They do just fine for what most people would want to do off road, but so could a Subaru if we are being honest. Using your example you say you did 1-3 level off road and had some issues on 3s...so that alone says you can do almost 60% of what a Wrangler can do, which is not bad by the way and would suite the majority of the people on the road today just fine. I think they are fine Jeeps for what they are and meant to be used for so dont think Im putting them down, I just dont want somebody thinking about getting one to get the wrong impression and end up not liking it because it would not do more than it was designed to do.

its funny that you use the example of the liberty. I have been on several trail rides where I've had to leave a liberty behind, my patriot stock had better ground clearance and better traction than the stock liberty, Both running similar sized AT tires.

I got caught up, not because the patriot wasn't capable, but because I had no idea what I was doing, took a bad line, and got hung up. That would happen to any n00b in any 4x4 their first few times out. I just had to be pulled back off the rock and take the correct line, and had no issues. Hence why I don't go out alone unless Its a trail I know, or its a trail I'm pretty confident I won't have any issues due to is lack of challenges. I still say that a FDII patriot (with AT tires, not the crap all seasons they put on it) can do about 90% of what a stock wrangler can do.

I've also been out on a few rides where people purposely went out of their way to pick the harder parts of the trail to watch me get stuck, and I made it through no issues.

Once you start modifying a wrangler though, no contest. and even a liberty has a much better upgrade path than the patriot ever will. I will agree to that in a heart beat. I've been trying to get somebody to build a locker for my patriot, and no dice, but the liberty can have a drop in locker in an afternoon. But most people buying a patriot are probably not the types who will be modifying their vehicles.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it took me about a week of driving it to get used to the style. But I actually like it a lot.
My Compass only has around (400) miles on it so far.

I'm really enjoying it the more I drive it!

Very underated vehicle IMHO (so far).
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
Im glad you like your car, and I understand getting tired of hearing its not a real jeep, I drive a Liberty and have heard the same...

But still your not even close on the 90% of what a stock Wrangler can do. I would say a Liberty(along with Tacoma, Xterra, FJ) can do close to the 80-90% mark.
Well, having just traded in our 2012 KK Jeep Liberty (8,800 miles) on the Compass I can say the Liberty is barely a road-worthy vehicle and should be used OFF-Road ONLY.

My 2013 Wrangler will drive circles (and dougnuts) around our old Liberty.

The suspension on our Liberty was the sorriest-assed excuse for a vehicle suspension I've ever had the displeasure of driving! The springs were way too soft and under-sprung. Quick avoidance manuevers were down right scary!

We had to have the OEM struts replaced at 7,000 miles because the were SHOT! Yes, SHOT! The Liberty was very lightly driven by my school teacher (VG driver BTW) all on smooth pavement. It was never off-road one time! We went through (3) sets of brand new tires before a mechanic found the worn out struts.

Don't even get me started about the whistling windshield! Nobody could find out why. It was loud enough to drive a person crazy!
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
GMC2MK
2014 MK Compass 

Our old MB 190es have been eating us out of house and home on repairs. The clay road we live on isn’t ever going to get better or paved in my lifetime and my wife and I go to work at different times and places so our one old 4x4 (bought a 95 GMC Jimmy not that long ago I’m still happy with as my daily driver) wasn’t going to work for both of us in bad weather. We really wanted something with a warranty so we went with a new vehicle.
Bought the wife a 2014 Jeep Compass Sport on Wednesday. 2.4 liter with 6 speed auto and the FD1 AWD. Kind of surprised me that I got it but after a lot of looking at about every small SUV AWD made and figuring in a bunch of factors including cost and that it’s about 60 miles away to get a Subaru, Honda, or Toyota serviced we got the Jeep. A big factor was the wife liked it so for good or bad it’s a done deal. The wife teaches music so she hauls a lot of stuff so the amount of room inside and the fold down seat was a big deal
I drove it from the dealership to the car rental place about 3 miles and the wife has done what little other driving that has been done on it (now at 129 miles). Seemed OK to me and seeing how the AWD engages when it feels a slip means she might not get stuck.

Last edited by GMC2MK; 01-25-2014 at 06:27 AM..
GMC2MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
srq2002
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC2MK
Our old MB 190es have been eating us out of house and home on repairs. The clay road we live on isn’t ever going to get better or paved in my lifetime and my wife and I go to work at different times and places so our one old 4x4 (bought a 95 GMC Jimmy not that long ago I’m still happy with as my daily driver) wasn’t going to work for both of us in bad weather. We really wanted something with a warranty so we went with a new vehicle.
Bought the wife a 2014 Jeep Compass Sport on Wednesday. 2.4 liter with 6 speed auto and the FD1 AWD. Kind of surprised me that I got it but after a lot of looking at about every small SUV AWD made and figuring in a bunch of factors including cost and that it’s about 60 miles away to get a Subaru, Honda, or Toyota serviced we got the Jeep.
Funny, it was the bills to keep my MB E320 on the road that set me on the road to a Compass. Never would have thought of it until I drew one as a rental ca on a business trip. I really liked it, except for the CVT, so when I got home I sought out a 5 speed with the 2.4L engine. That was three years ago, and I just turned down the chance to change it for a Grand Cherokee; I just plain like my Compass!
srq2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.