JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Why did you buy a compass? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/why-did-you-buy-compass-1995361/)

Kastraelie 01-14-2014 12:00 AM

Why did you buy a compass?

Hello, friends. I am wondering why one chooses to buy a compass over other Jeep offerings; if price is a primary factor then let me know why a compass over other vehicles? What other vehicles did you consider before buying one?

Thanks!

w4rh4wk 01-14-2014 07:06 AM

I bought my first 2008 compass Manual FD I because it was almost the best fuel efficient small SUV 4x4. Then i got the 2011 auto so the wife could drive the car too if she needed too..... but i really liked the 2011 redesign :D

aroundincircles 01-14-2014 07:33 AM

I needed something that was cheaper, got better fuel economy, could hold 3 kids and their junk, but still take me off road and do 90% of what a wrangler can do. Patriot with the FDII package was the ticket. (I personally prefer the looks of the patriot over the compass, but mechanically they are 100% the same).

Katmandu 01-14-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kastraelie (Post 19397545)
Hello, friends. I am wondering why one chooses to buy a compass over other Jeep offerings; if price is a primary factor then let me know why a compass over other vehicles? What other vehicles did you consider before buying one?

Thanks!

Ok, having just purchased a 2014 Compass Latitude last week, I'll explain why I made my decision to do so.

I was in the market for a new commuter rig. I drive (60) miles/day. (50) on the highway. I bought a new 2013 JK Wrangler Sport S (6) months ago (my DD at the time), had a 2012 KK Liberty (wife's rig) as well as a 99 S10 Blazer 4x4 (beater rig). New 4x4 will not see off-road duty at all. The others will do that!

Although, our KK only had 8,800 miles on it, we got tired of the horrid handling, poor front seat comfort and the extremely annoying wind noise from the front windshield. So we decided this would be traded in and my wife would get my 13 JK as her DD. The JK wasn't the most comfortable rig on long highway driving.

My priorities for my new DD were (in descending order) as follows;

#1) It had to be a 4x4 w/auto trans. I wanted a car, but "the Boss" insisted it be a 4x4. lol!

#2) The price had to be <$25,000. Wanted to keep the payment the same area as the KK was. This limited my choices down to the small SUV segment.

#3) I researched the following. Wanted another JK but w/auto put it over $25k. Looked at the..... Ford Escape (too many blown up Eco-boost engines for my comfort), Hyundai Tucson/Kia Sportage (nice engines with Direct injection), Honda CR-V (Boring!), Toyota RAV-4, Suburu Forester/Crosstek (good luck finding them), Mazda CX-5 (too far away), Chevy Equinox/GM Terrain (can't get a 4x4 under $25k), Dodge Journey AWD (love the 3.6 in my JK + huge rebate) and finally the Jeep Patriot/Compass.

BTW, Here's a great research website -->

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...&modelid=14990

#4) Value.....Bang-for-the-buck options/features. Had to have a Sunroof and an upgraded Sound system. This added $1300 to all the above. Trying to stay under $25 Grand, this put all the above (except the Patriot, Compass) out of the running. Has pretty much everything a loaded Limited has except Leather and Power seats.

#5) Best Deal.... Jeep had the best incentives/rebates out there currently by far as well. Ended up getting my Compass Latitude around $4,000 under MSRP. Options are Sun/Sound group, EVIC, uConnect, 18" chrome wheels, auto-start and it has the 430 touch screen stereo! Couldn't get close to that price from the other manufacturers!

#6) I prefer the looks of the Compass (small Grand Cherokee) over the Patriot (small KJ old Liberty-had one, not a fan of the slanted nose). You Homophobes who think Compass's are for girls and Patriots are for boys need cracked upside the fukking head! LMAO!

So far (400 miles), I'm very satisfied with my decision. IMHO, the Compass is very under-rated. Not nearly as refined as the others, but still very capable, very comfortable, very decent ride and handling, Highway MPGs 27-28 so far (not broken in). The new (6) speed auto transmission is awesome (very smooth shifting).

Here's pics......

http://public.fotki.com/Labrat0116/c...l/?view=roll#1

http://images116.fotki.com/v107/phot...4f5491x-vi.jpg

222Doc 01-14-2014 10:21 AM

90%? that is a bit of a exaggeration, . . perhaps in other states but not in AZ. I think i know were you get the animosity now at from AZVJC at times.. just saying thats like saying a f150 can do anything a f350 can do.

I do agree it will go off road, though i also know you just never see any on 3 rated trails or up 1'and 2"s. I mean its not like off road is all about how hard, but you need to know the limits too.

aroundincircles 01-14-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222Doc (Post 19406361)
90%? that is a bit of a exaggeration, . . perhaps in other states but not in AZ. I think i know were you get the animosity now at from AZVJC at times.. just saying thats like saying a f150 can do anything a f350 can do.

I do agree it will go off road, though i also know you just never see any on 3 rated trails or up 1'and 2"s. I mean its not like off road is all about how hard, but you need to know the limits too.

I don't think so. I believe a FDII patriot can do about 90% of what an unmodified wrangler can do. even if I bought a wrangler, I wouldn't have the means to do modifications, so that is what I am comparing it to. The wrangler is a far superior off road machine, but the patriot is quite capable in its own right. its serious limitation is ground clearance.

Now if you are talking about a heavily modified wrangler, then there is no contest, but we are not, at least I am not.

How many unmodified wranglers are there on the VJC? basically none. People constantly compare the patriot to their build buggy, or a top of the line rubicon with a 4" lift and 35" tires. Well obvious the patriot is not going to be able to keep up with that. I have taken mine on 1 3 rated trail, and had to be pulled off a couple of rocks... But I Think I have learned how to be a better driver (that was over a year ago) and I think I would do much better. I haven't done one since because I either have my whole family with me, haven't found anybody to go off roading with, or cannot dedicate the time as I usually have less than half a day to go out and come back.

Kastraelie 01-14-2014 01:25 PM

Doesn't the Patriot have more clearance than the Compass?

Thank you for your detailed answers, guys!

aroundincircles 01-14-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kastraelie (Post 19411401)
Doesn't the Patriot have more clearance than the Compass?

Thank you for your detailed answers, guys!

It depends on the package/year you are talking about. New models the FWD w 16" rims or 17" rims with the 215/60-17 tires models have the lowest clearance at 8.1", if you get the 17" rims with the 215/65-17 tires on a fwd OR go with a 4x4 model with the 16" rims or 17" rims with the 215/60-17 tires you get an extra half inch. if you go with the 4x4 with the 215/65-17 tires, you get the 9.1" of clearance. This is for the patriot. IIRC for the compass I believe it is the same. There are 18" rims for the compass and I don't know what their overall tire sizes are and how they affect clearance.

Katmandu 01-14-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 19411737)
There are 18" rims for the compass and I don't know what their overall tire sizes are and how they affect clearance.

There is only (1) size tire availble with the 18" rims. 215/55-18. Pretty skinny IMHO. I'm hoping to upsize (haven't yet decided) in the very near future.

Ground clearance is 8.1"

I read somewhere that Patriot/Compasses with the FDII option have 1" extra ground clearance. I don't know if that is done with difference springs or the tire size as AroundinCircles described. ??

aroundincircles 01-14-2014 08:15 PM

4x4 gets a half inch from stiffer springs and the 215/65-17's give a half inch over other tire options. it used to be prior to 2011 that the all the non FDII had the same springs, but now all 4x4's (fdi and FDII) have the same springs.

dragon672 01-14-2014 10:39 PM

I ended up getting a 2014 Limited, FD I with everything,,sunroof, nav system, backup camera. I was looking for something better than my 05 Equinox....had lots of engine issues with it...google 05 Equinox lol. I needed good gas mileage, 4x4, and something just a wee smaller. I test drove a Grand Cherokee 2014 but was worried about all the electrical issues they had. I purchased it in Sept. and have about 4200 miles on it. Accordingly to EVIC I'm getting 23-24 MPG on curvy mountains roads so I can't complain. So far with a small amounts of snow we've had I've done good with the stock tires. I was torn between the Patriot and the Compass but it seemed I saw more issues with the Patriot than the Compass which makes no sense lol. I'm really happy with my little Blue Bomber lol. BTW True Blue is hard to find in the Compasses.

aroundincircles 01-15-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon672 (Post 19429401)
I ended up getting a 2014 Limited, FD I with everything,,sunroof, nav system, backup camera. I was looking for something better than my 05 Equinox....had lots of engine issues with it...google 05 Equinox lol. I needed good gas mileage, 4x4, and something just a wee smaller. I test drove a Grand Cherokee 2014 but was worried about all the electrical issues they had. I purchased it in Sept. and have about 4200 miles on it. Accordingly to EVIC I'm getting 23-24 MPG on curvy mountains roads so I can't complain. So far with a small amounts of snow we've had I've done good with the stock tires. I was torn between the Patriot and the Compass but it seemed I saw more issues with the Patriot than the Compass which makes no sense lol. I'm really happy with my little Blue Bomber lol. BTW True Blue is hard to find in the Compasses.

its probably because until just the last half year or so, the patriot out sold the compass 2:1, so there were simply more of them on the road. more cars = more reported problems, but I have seen very very few problems out side of ball joints on them.

KayCeeJeep 01-15-2014 03:51 PM

I'll tell you why I want to buy one. They look like a baby Grand (current one) and also remind me of my WJ 2004 Grand of which I am so fond. Win win. Unless I have a rich unknown relative thats about to leave me a pile of money I don't think I'll ever be able to buy another Grand. Haven't worn the WJ out yet but the WK's don't do it for me and the price of a WKII will take your breath away, even used.

Katmandu 01-16-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon672 (Post 19429401)
I ended up getting a 2014 Limited, FD I with everything,,sunroof, nav system, backup camera.

So far with a small amounts of snow we've had I've done good with the stock tires. I was torn between the Patriot and the Compass but it seemed I saw more issues with the Patriot than the Compass which makes no sense lol. I'm really happy with my little Blue Bomber lol. BTW True Blue is hard to find in the Compasses.

Congrats! Post up pics!

True Blue is pretty rare.

What tire/wheel package does yours have on it ?

Katmandu 01-16-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep (Post 19448689)
I'll tell you why I want to buy one. They look like a baby Grand (current one) and also remind me of my WJ 2004 Grand of which I am so fond. Win win.

:thumbsup:

Pay no mind to the Homophobes that believe Patriots are for boys and Compasses are for girls. Very Jr.High-ish. :rolleyes:

The time now is 05:01 AM.