Whistling Sound from Compass Engine when not Pressing Accelerator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Whistling Sound from Compass Engine when not Pressing Accelerator

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 12-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
jaisunihm
2007 MK Compass 

Whistling Sound from Compass Engine when not Pressing Accelerator

Hello all. I just joined this forum to get some insight to my compass limited. I have about 12,000 miles on my compass and not so long ago i started hearing a high-pitched whistling sound from my engine when not moving or simply no pressing on the gas. Do you guys not why this sound is occurring? Some friends told me that it may simply be a nuissance sound, but nothing wrong with the engine. However, the sound is very annoying! Please advise or help if you know why this is occurring. Thanks.

jaisunihm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Have you replaced the radio with an aftermarket one? Sometimes this causes feedback when there is a bad ground and you can hear the engine buzzing through the car speakers.

Just an idea.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'd need to open the hood to hear where it's coming from. Several possibilities: vacuum leak, radio noise, alternator/water pump/AC bearings, serpentine belt and other things. It's probably not serious but I'd have the dealer take a look at it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
jaisunihm
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it may be coming from right under the timing belt. i was informed that there is some sort of lever underneath and that many vehicles have this problem with it making the noise. I'm waiting to take the car in to the dealer, but I have to wait since one of my friends will have to drive with me to the dealer. Please do let me know if you hear anything else regarding this issue. Thanks again.
Unread 12-06-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That would be the Automatic Tensioner for the Serpentine Belt. It runs on the back side of the belt and could get a glaze built up on it that belt dressing could fix or it may be the bearing. Either way let the dealer look at it.

Unread 12-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Its the supercharger in there honestly! A guy at work with a Dakota has a problem with his harmonic balancer and you can only hear it at idle.
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
jaisunihm
2007 MK Compass 

I'm going to try get in in the dealer as soon as possible. Thanks for the suggestions. At least now I know what the possible problems may be.
Unread 12-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
jaisunihm
2007 MK Compass 

Sound fixed

Gramps, the problem that was causing the whistling sound was that there was a leak from the water pump. Originally, the dealer didn't do anything to it. I took the car around the block and the sound came right back. They took a look at the car again and said the water pump was the issue. They replaced all the parts and now the sound is gone. Thanks for the advise.
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It sounds like it had a leak at the seal in the wp and after heating up the pressure caused the whistle. That's a hard one to find sometimes because if there is no noticable water leak you don't normally look at the wp. Glad that you found it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.