JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Whining and rough sounding 08 Compass (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/whining-rough-sounding-08-compass-1318321/)

tito716 01-23-2012 09:40 AM

Whining and rough sounding 08 Compass

My wifes 08 compass starting whining when you start it up and goes with the engine even when in park. Sound coming from belt area. Also sounds kind of rough/rattling. No other problems, like battery dieing so not sure if its the alternator. Anyone have any idea what it could be and difficulty repairing it. Never been under this hood other than checking fluids.

tito716 01-23-2012 11:01 AM

Ok just had someone look at it and they say it's the belt tensioner. Sound right? Easy to replace?

Gramps 01-24-2012 06:46 AM

It's a real good possibility that's it. Easy is relative. It should just take common tool, small hands and probably going at it from the bottom which means ramps or jack stands.

BLTWISTED1 01-30-2012 06:37 PM

LOL... my husband seems to think that is what's going on with mine since he replaced two other pulleys plus the belt today and it's still making the noise. This is the first problem I've had in it's 102K miles! I have a 2007 Patriot Limited!

Oh and thanks Gramps for the Belt diagram you had posted... we used it today! :)

EDIT - sorry I had to change the colors on you. The pink on green was hard on the eyes!! Gramps. :)

tito716 02-02-2012 07:07 PM

ok so i have now replaced the tensioner and the idler pulleys and still the noise is present. Read something about the OAD pulley on the alternator and that it should only spin freely one way and have tension going the other. Well mine spins freely both ways so I think/Hope, that I have found the problem, even though its more expensive. How do I find out what amps my alternator is? The auto parts store says for the 08s there are two diff ones.

FujativeOCR 02-03-2012 07:29 AM

I think if you do a free alternator/batt test at Sears they should be able to tell you your alternator amperage. Should get a readout of it on their test bench. My Patriot has the 140 Amp. I don't remember which option group it came with, but since I'm upgrading the stereo, I'm glad I have it. It may have come with the off road package?

FujativeOCR 02-03-2012 11:33 AM

Ok a little background check on Jeep.com....the 140 Amp Alternator comes with the Freedom Drive II OffRoad package. The standard alternator is 120 Amps.

BLTWISTED1 02-08-2012 01:03 PM

SO did you replace alternator yourself or bring it to dealer? I have a '07 Patriot with same problem. My husband just replaced all those also and still making noise and today talked to mechanic at our local dealership and he stated that it was probably alternator, that he's had several in with this problem. My check engine light came on yesterday, but no battery light or other complications @ this time.

tito716 02-09-2012 12:06 AM

Just ordered an alternator today. I will be doing the work myself, I'll let you know how it goes.

BLTWISTED1 02-14-2012 03:53 PM

Well we got the alternator off! WOW what fun... took it to a local mecanic and tested alternator... alternator was good so we decided to just replace the pulley... which looked really bad when we got it off... Part just came back yesterday but we haven't put it back on yet.... I'm sure it'll be as much fun as getting it off! LOL

tito716 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

So yeah, it sucks getting that alternator off, but new one has been installed and all is well. Did it myself, probably took longer than it should have, but after having to run to buy a new ratchet I was finished in about 3hrs.

Gramps 03-03-2012 05:55 AM

All of this new stuff is a PITA to work on. Congrats for getting it done.

BLTWISTED1 03-04-2012 04:40 PM

yup... FIXED ours also

shayp 07-06-2012 10:50 AM

Alternator

I thought I'd post because I searched and searched for an easy set of instructions on how to change the alternator in my 08 patriot. The diagrams are pretty spot on with the belt. it took me and my uncle about 3-4 hrs to do. I actually ordered a reman alt from amazon and shipped it overnight for $140.00. The hardest part is getting around the bottom pulley and putting the belt back on. But it is possible have tons of patience and maybe a beer or 3 lol

Gramps 07-07-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayp (Post 13826226)
But it is possible, have tons of patience and maybe a beer or 3 lol

That's the key on all of these compact engine compartments! Nothing is quick and easy.

The time now is 10:32 PM.