Wheel and tire question on a 08 Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Wheel and tire question on a 08 Patriot

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
90SaharaJeep

Wheel and tire question on a 08 Patriot

My wife wants to get a new Patriot but thinks the stock street tires and wheels look rather wimpy. I noticed the wheels only come in 16 and 17". Does anyone know if you can fit a 15" wheel?? I guess the main concern is if they clear the breaks.

Anyone have nicer wheels or more aggressive tires then stock yet?? She wants to put BFG AT's with black wheels.

90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Those that have tried a few of the 15's say they hit the brakes. There are many nice tires available in 16" that will make the stock wheels look just fine. Several have gone with 16" Moabs http://www.quadratec.com/products/92702_000.htm but because they are 8" wide the smallest tire recommended is a 245 tire, however, they do rub on the inner liner but is more of an annoyance than a hazard. Some have said to put them on, find where they rub and modify the liner. The 17's are also popular, available in some nice tread patters. too and are a little more pricey than 16's.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SaharaJeep View Post
My wife wants to get a new Patriot but thinks the stock street tires and wheels look rather wimpy. I noticed the wheels only come in 16 and 17". Does anyone know if you can fit a 15" wheel?? I guess the main concern is if they clear the breaks.

Anyone have nicer wheels or more aggressive tires then stock yet?? She wants to put BFG AT's with black wheels.
my 'guess', and it IS just that, is that you may use the standard 15" steel wheels off of a Caliber. same brakes. unfortunately they don't use a 15" ALLOY, it's a 16".

one thing, and i've brought this up before, is to watch the weight of the tires you get. some of the 'all terrains' weigh as much as 50lbs ea and the OE tires are approximately 28lbs. 22lbs at EACH WHEEL is a lot of additional rolling mass.

also, keep in mind that the Calibers 15" steel wheels were made for 'street tires' and NOT 'all terrains', so they're not going to be as strong as wheels made for a 4X4 vehicle.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I did some research on the 15" Caliber wheels, they are only on the SE model which is rear drum brakes. The SXT are 17's and the R/T's are 18's. You can get the SE with four wheel disc brakes as an option but I don't know if that requires the 17" wheels or not. The 15's must be ugly, they come with a wheel cover.

Unread 04-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
...the smallest tire recommended is a 245 tire, however, they do rub on the inner liner but is more of an annoyance than a hazard.
But for Compass/Patriot, does 235/65 R17 tire fit on original wheels without rubbing on anything?
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't recall anybody having any problems with those. 07compasssport is running 235/65R17 Geolanders and put the lift on after the tires maybe he can give more info.

Anybody else running 235/65-17's out there? With or without a lift?

Unread 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
90SaharaJeep

Thanks for the heads up guys. What we may do is keep the 16" stock wheels and just get AT's. We add a little weight but not like steel wheels and AT's.

She has her heart set on a black Patriot so I'll post some pics as soon as we get everything. Thanks again for all the help.
90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

only rubs slightly on full lock left&right for about 1 month. havnt had any issues since.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.